Status: Keep or Kill?

Lovesick

Can't Stand It

Steph and Chris had been sharing an apartment now for almost nine months and were still crazy about each other. Steph was very pregnant at this point and they were expecting the baby any day. She had heard from her parents only once, a few days after she had left, and didn't plan on seeing them again until the wedding, if they even came for that. She did miss her mother quite a bit. She talked to Trina almost daily but still missed her terribly.

She had only succeeded at making one friend in California. Sean was the photographer that shot Christofer's vegetarian save the planet ads. He loved taking photos of Sam's pregnant body. He always said how she thought she was so gorgeous. He said she really pulled off the pregnant look, which really helped when she was feeling down. She wasn't crazy about her belly or the way her breasts seemed to sag. Chris adored her belly but she wasn't always convinced.

Chris, of corse, was extremely jealous in the beginning. Then Sean introduced them to his life partner, Thomas. Chris was totally fine with him after that. Sean and Steph hung out together when ever Chris was busy and every friday night the four of them, Sean, Thomas, Chris and Steoh, went out to dinner and a movie.

It was 11:20 on a Saturday night, October 30, when Steph went into labor. Chris rushed her to the hospital. Sean was unreachable, though he had promised to be there. Steph refused to be medicated and as a result spent almost a half an hour screaming at Chris while waiting for the doctor who was otherwise preoccupied.

It was exactly 11:45 when the doctor arrived and Steph was allowed to begin pushing. Just a few minutes later the door burst open and in rushed, not only Sean and Thomas but also Trina and Steph's mother. Trina rushed to Steph's side to squeeze the hand that wasn't squeezing the life out of Christofer's hand.

“There are too many people in this room!” the doctor exclaimed.

“We'll leave,” Sean said, waving as he pulled Thomas out of the room. The doctor told Steph to continue pushing.

“Hey, I'm Trina,” Stephani's friend said.

“Christofer,” Chris said.

“Okay, one more push Stephani,” said the doctor. This had to be the shortest actual labor the doctor had ever attended. The baby took it's first breath at exactly 12:01, October 31.

“It's a boy!” the nurse exclaimed.

“What will you name him?” Steph's mother asked as the nurse handed the baby off to Christofer. He and Steph shared a glance. They hadn't really discussed names but Steph knew what she was naming him.

“Chris Drew,” Stephani said as Christofer handed her the blue bundle. Stephani had never really liked babies, or children for that matter, but she had to admit that Chris Drew was the cutest baby she had even seen. He had blue eyes, though she was sure that would change as neither she nor Chris had blue eyes, in fact both of them had brown eyes. Thick, chocolate brown hair covered his head. He was gorgeous, just like his father. He was a small baby, probably only five or six pounds but he was smiling and gurgling happily.

A few weeks later, after Steph and her son were released from the hospital, they purchased a small, two bedroom house, just outside of Colorado Springs. On the wall in the nursery there were two frames. One held the crumpled notes, the first signed Chris Drew and the second signed Jane Doe.

The second was a family photo taken by Sean shortly after Steph's return from the hospital. Sitting on the mantel of their fire place was a single black and white photo. It simply showed Christofer's tattooed arms wrapped around Samantha's bare pregnant belly. Sean claimed it to be one of his best works.

The wedding followed shortly after the move. It was small, family and close friends only, and took place in the back yard of Steph's childhood home. The place where they had first met. Trina was Samantha's only bridesmaid and Sean flew out from California to be Christofer's best man. Stephani's father refused to attend the ceremony so her mother was the one to give her away.

Christofer's parents sat in white, plastic, folding chairs, along with Trina's family and Steph's older brother, Andrew, who had been granted leave from his air-force base in New York. He and Stephani hadn't spoken since weeks before he left. They had settled on agreeing to disagree. Steph was against war in all respects; Andrew believed it was his duty to protect his country.

The wedding went smoothly. First Sean escorted Trina down the isle, then the music began and Samantha was escorted to the altar by her mother, Amy. Amy handed her off to Christofer, who was looking very sharp in a black and white tuxedo. They said their vows and Andrew carried Chris Drew down the isle. Chris Drew carried a small white pillow with two silver bands. The rings were exchanged and Christofer was told he could kiss the bride.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is, the last chapter!