Disenchanted

Part 16

The following days Billie distanced himself from the rest of the family, spending his time with his new friends hoping that he would be able to catch another glimpse of the man with the stained shirt. If the man was his dad, Billie wanted to be with him. To see if his actions were for the best, if they were how does that explain that Spencer could see him as well.

This led to his relationship between Aaron strained and during the nights there was an awkward silence of Billie waiting for him to speak and Aaron trying to find the right words to say.

During family dinner in the grand dining room, Pete tried once again to bond some more with Billie. He took the idea up of looking for Ryan and Spencer but apart from that not a lot has happened. Music didn’t really spark an interest with Billie as he liked to spend his time drawing when not out with his friends, reporting back to Patrick to show new work or to get advice on how else to do some shading. Whereas Pete had managed to increase the bond he had with Aaron, but with Billie there was this high sense of distance and he feared no amount of nagging from Patrick or asking small questions would change that.

Never the less he tried again. “So erm Billie,” he began but with a sharp look from Patrick he corrected himself. “Sorry Gerard, how are you finding school?”

Gerard shrugged, placed some pasta into his mouth, and then answered “its okay I guess.”

“Don’t want to mention your new friends Gee?” Frank suggested his voice cold and hard.

“I don’t see how that’s relevant Frank,” Gerard shot back.

“Oh I think it is, when you choose to become a complete dick when you’re with them.”

“Well that’s your opinion.” He snarled looking directly. “Never thought you be one to judge someone.”

Before Frank could react Patrick stepped in and said, “Boys if you think this is something you would like to be shared over the dinner table then continue. By all means continue, this is entertainment, but if it’s something you would consider private then go to your room.”

The two of them paused as if remembering their surroundings before excusing themselves and going to their room.

“Papa, why did you have to stop them?” Misha asked looking longingly at the stairs.

In the bedroom Frank stayed by the door, blocking Gerard his only escape. He needed to know why he was being pushed away after everything he’s done for him.

Gerard paced the floor before laying his eyes on Frank. “Do you really have to stand there?” Frank merely nodded. “God, you’re so annoying!”

“Oh! I’m the annoying one am I? I’m the one with the problem am I?” Frank hissed, his eyes narrowing on the person in front of him.

“Yes! Frank accept the fact that you and me are different. I’m older I need friends my own age!”

“This is all this is about then?” Frank asks disbelievingly.

“Yes.”

“So then we’re just ignoring the fact you’re still having nightmares then?” He said softly, treading lightly as he made his way other to where Gerard stood, frozen by the sudden change in conversation.

“I…. I don’t.”

“Yes you do, and since these new friends they’ve been getting worse.” Frank’s softly, he placed a supportive hand on his shoulder. “Gee, tell me.”

Gerard finally reached his eyes and Frank saw the loneliness, the emptiness, and in that moment he looked so young. When he tried to form words and couldn’t speak only nearly breaking down in tears, Frank wrapped his arms around him and rocked gently back and forth.

“Dad. I… I close my eyes and he’s there.” Gerard managed to choke out before tucking in his head in the croak on Frank’s neck.

Frank hushed him and stroked his back supportively. “Gee sssh it’s okay yeah. He can’t hurt you, he’s gone. He gone. You’ve got me and I’ll sit by you every night if it makes it better. You know I could never judge you and you are never getting rid of me.”

“I guess I’m stuck with you then,” he managed to get out, lifting his head out off the comfort of the shoulder.

“For better or for worst.”