‹ Prequel: Goodnight, Beautiful.
Sequel: Second City.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

13.

“So,”

“I hate it when you start a conversation out with ‘so’, it makes you sound very demanding.” Looking through the clothes on the rack at Nordstroms, Bristol gave Adrienne the thumbs up as she held a vintage, black dress against her frame. On the other line, Kris was becoming increasingly annoyed with her refusal to tell him about her run-in with Danny.

“I have the right to be demanding. I talked you out of a near mental breakdown the other right.” He spat.

“That you did,” turning to her sister, Bristol looked for approval on a shirt she pulled out of the pile. Adrienne tilted her head, scrunched her nose, wickedly shaking her head no. Tossing it back on top the pile, Bristol blew her bangs out of her eyes. “And I am forever grateful you talked me out of throwing all my clothes away.”

The stress of packing under a deadline was beginning getting to the young women. Their house could officially be declared a war zone. Boxes, bubble-wrap and clothes were spread across every square inch. A few nights ago as Bristol packed up the rest of the non-essential items; she had nearly lost her mind and need Kris’ common sense to keep her calm. Dan had flown out to Chicago a few days earlier to tie up the loose ends of his contract and take his roster picture. When he arrived home and saw Bristol and her sister packing, he ordered them out. A chance to breathe and relax. He’d finish up what was left.

Bristol had cancelled her own trip to Chicago; with her and Dan moving into the condo they leased downtown it didn’t make much sense for her to fly out. Adrienne had flown out instead to help out. She and Bristol would pack up Bristol’s Jeep with as many boxes as it would hold and make the drive to Chicago a few days before Dan arrived with the movers and the rest of their belongings. The moving plan they had come up with helped the situation seemed a little less exasperating.

“So,”

“I’m shopping with Adrienne, can’t this wait?” Bristol held the phone between her shoulder and ear and thumbed through a stack of tees.

She could hear Kris laugh on the line. “Shopping? Isn’t the last thing you should be doing, especially after calling me up, crying that you have too much shit?”

“It’s a stress reliever,” Bristol defended herself. “Besides, everything is fine. The only thing that happened was I ran into Danny and his new girlfriend the other night when Adie and I went out for ice cream with Mike. And, before you say anything about me being jealous, I’m not. I’m really happy he found someone who has the same priorities in life as he does. She’s a working mother, he’s a working father. They’re perfect for each other. And, I have my own thing going on; I’ve got a wedding to plan.”

“Am I invited?”

“Not if you keep harassing me. Goodbye, Kris.” Ending the call, Bristol slipped her phone into the pocket of her pants. Adrienne continued to look through the rack for a sundress she had seen in the catalog last night. “I’m sorry about that, Adrienne. Kris sometimes feels the need to gossip like a sixteen year old girl.”

---

When Bristol and Adrienne got back to the house after shopping, they were greeted with silence. She could smell Dan’s cologne lingering in the air so she knew he had to be around somewhere. The girls dropped their stuff off on the couch and headed outside onto the deck. Bristol had grabbed two Mike’s Hard Lemonades from the fridge. Adrienne twisted off both tops, her skills as a bartender often came in handy.

“It’s weird thinking you’re coming back home.” Adrienne brought her knees to her chest. With the sun setting, a cool nightly breeze began kicking up.

“Really? I’ve only been gone five months.” The sweatshirt Bristol wore had traces of Dan’s Old Spice spray. It was a scent she found comforting and exciting. His scent alone had the ability to send her heart into palpitations.

“Five months is a long time. And, really you’ve been gone since you were eighteen. If you think about it, Bristol, this is the longest time you and I have spent together since your first serious relationship.” Bristol could feel her cheeks burn with embarrassment. She knew it was true but with their personalities clashing Bristol had found it was often just easier to stay away from Adrienne. There were times when Bristol hated her guts and wished terrible things upon her, but at the end of the day they were sisters and the love between them was unbreakable. “You and I were tight growin’ up. We had to stick together with four brothers.”

Playing with the ring on her finger, Bristol took a swig from her drink. “There is something I’ve been meaning to ask you. Since I didn’t have a real wedding, pur se, when I first got married; Dan and I have decided we want something formal. If I elope again you mom would kill me and his mother wouldn’t be happy either. So, my question to you is, will you be my Maid of Honor?”

“Of course. I’ll be there to put your ass in check when you get all, Bridezilla.” Adrienne laughed. “Have you guys picked a date yet?” It had been three weeks since Dan popped the question. Bristol hadn’t realized how much went into planning a wedding until she picked up a Bride’s Magazine at the local grocery store and thumbed through it.

“Since a winter wedding is out of the question, we agreed on June thirteenth of next year. Dan wanted Friday the thirteenth but I got him to settle for a Saturday. That’s as far as we’ve—I’ve gotten.”

A few moments of silence passed before Adrienne spoke again. The older sister had found herself becoming slightly jealous by the life her sister had fallen into. Adrienne had partied just as hard as Bristol and her hangovers never led to a famous, hockey player boyfriend or a Tiffany rock.

---

Her search for Dan had lead Bristol upstairs to their room. She stopped in her tracks after crossing the threshold and seeing Dan sprawled out in bed on his stomach, his head buried in the pillows and one of his shoes was missing. Chief lifted his head and raised one eye from his spot on the bed. With Dan knocked out, the dog knew he could sneak in a few minutes in bed with his owner. The number of times he could take her breath away in one day never ceased to amaze Bristol.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, Bristol gently pushed back the hair above his ear and watched as he stirred. His eyes remain closed and his arms remain snuggled tight around the pillow under his head. Each slight movement he made caused his shirt to ride up his back. Bristol giggled to herself as he mumbled something incomprehensible before setting again, causing the crease in his forehead to vanish. She wondered if he messed with her like this when she slept. Knowing he was awake, Bristol pushed herself closer to him, whispering into his ear. “I love the noises you make when you sleep.”

“Mhmm,” he mumbled. Dan didn’t move a muscle as he continued to lay with his eyes glued shut. He had a long three days; between flying back and forth from Chicago to Philadelphia and helping her pack, Bristol knew he needed all the sleep he could get.

She watched him for a moment. He looked precious as he rested. His expression was relaxed and his breathing was even. Finally, Bristol whispered. “I’ll let you sleep.” Sliding off the bed, Bristol had no trouble entertaining herself as she waited for Adrienne to finish in the shower. With all their DVD’s packed up, she’d find a movie on cable to watch. Before her feet even reached the carpet, Bristol felt a pair of strong arms wrap around her torso and pull her back.

“Don’t leave just yet.” Dan nuzzled his nose into the back of her neck. “I sleep much better when you’re in bed with me.” Bristol closed her eyes as she felt Dan entwine their fingers as they rested low on her chest. She had really gotten used to falling asleep with his arms around her too. Dan slipped his leg between hers as he took a deep breath, enjoying the alone moment they had together.

“Do you think we should pack up another box or twice before we go to bed?”

“Shh,” his hot breath hit the back of Bristol’s neck, sending shivers down her spine. “If you don’t stop talking I will be forced to kick you out of the napping nest.”

“I have to get up anyway. Adrienne and I are meeting Mike for pizza.”

“Again?” Turning the clock around to read the numbers, Dan couldn’t believe he had only been sleeping for less than an hour. If felt as if he had been dead to the word for at least three.

“Yeah. Like every man in my life, I have a feeling he’s just trying to get in her pants.” Unlocking herself from Dan’s grip, Bristol rolled out of the bed and sauntered into the bathroom. The bright florescent light stung her eyes as she turned them on. She washed her face, freshened her makeup and brushed her teeth. Bristol changed into a pair of light blue capris littered with rips and holes and a plum v-neck which flowed over her curvy figure.

Dan playfully pushed Bristol out of the way of the way. His shirt was off and his veins popped under his skin. With the toothbrush hanging out the side of his mouth, Dan muffled a yes when Bristol asked if he was coming. It surprised her; she assumed he’d want to stay back and sleep a little more.

---

In Jersey, Danny Briere walked the quiet streets of Haddonfield with his hands nervously shoved into the pockets of his shorts. It had been years since the feeling of such nervousness stuck him as he walked with a woman. They both had had a good time; the annual carnival had come to town. Danny hadn’t taken a girl to a carnival for a date since Sylvie in their days of high school. Andrea spoke light, thanking him for a fun day and expressed interest in doing it again. Although it had only been their second date, Danny knew he wanted more. As they slowly approached the ice cream and frozen yogurt shop, he asked if she wanted any. The lovely brunette found her cheeks blushing as she said yes.

He stopped abruptly as they passed the wide window of the town’s pizzeria. Danny could never miss her face; he’d know it when he saw it no matter how much time could pass. He had just seen her only three days ago, a touching relief after the three weeks of her absence. Bristol sat on the inside of the booth, her feet tucked underneath her as she stole a bite from Dan’s slice of pizza. His arm was wrapped protectively around her as he joked with Mike. He recognized the woman beside Richie; she had been introduced to him as her sister, Adrienne.

“Do you mind if we stop in here quick? I want to say hi to a few of my friends.” Danny reluctantly asked. The last thing he wanted was to sound rude.

Andrea shook her head. “No problem at all.” The bell over the door sounded as he pulled it open. The sweet sound of Bristol’s voice was immediately recognized by his ears. Danny and Andrea went unnoticed as the foursome continued to talk and laugh over their pizza. He pulled up two chairs to the end of the table. Mike and Dan moved several empty cups out of the way to make room for Danny and Andrea. Bristol smiled and extended her hand out to shake the new girlfriend of Danny’s. She liked Andrea; the girl was tall—but still shorter than Danny—sweet, light-hearted, mild mannered. As much as it hurt Bristol to sit back and admit it, she was absolutely perfect for him.

“Where the boys, Danny?” Bristol tucked a spiral curl behind her ear before plating two pieces of pepperoni for their new dinner guests. She handed them over before licking the tomato sauce off her thumb.

“With Sylvie,” despite Adrienne and Bristol’s protest for deep-dish, Dan and Mike ordered thin. Danny folded his slice, shoving it in his mouth. “She brought them up to her parent’s house.”

Lucky him, Bristol thought. He found a pretty girl and got rid of the boys all within the same week. She wished she had the chance to see them before they left. By the time they got back she’d already be in Chicago. The shimmer of Bristol’s ring caught Danny’s eye as she handed her sister the jar of grated parmesan cheese. He wondered how long Dan had been holding on to the ring—he probably ran out and bought when she left him a month ago.

Bristol wrapped her arms around Dan’s shoulder, kissed his cheek and set her chin in the curve of his shoulder. Her eyes fluttered to her sister and Mike. The chemistry between the two was clearly visible. Adrienne’s cheeks went flush when Mike moved a lock of hair out of her face. Watching the two in front of her, it reminded Bristol of the first night she spent with Dan.

The waitress had brought another round of drinks by. They were lost in laughter, side conversation. It was blessing for Bristol to have the three men who welcomed her into Philadelphia with open arms beside her during one of her last nights in the city. She couldn’t ask for anything more. They were happy, there was no doubting that, and as they treasured the night, not even Danny wished things could have turned out different. He loved Bristol, and she loved him, and he wanted for her to find happiness.

Raising up his glass, Mike cleared his throat. His five friends fallowed. “How about a toast; to the teammates who made my time in Philly the most memorable seven years of my life. It was a pleasure playing with you gentlemen and I wish you the best of luck in seasons to come.”

“And to my baby sister,” Adrienne cut-in, “for finally finding her happy ever after.”

They laughed and clinked. As they drank, Danny sat back in his chair taking in the sight in front of him. Bristol, Adrienne and Andrea spoke of dresses, flowers, headdresses; Mike and Dan of golf. To friendship, Danny thought, lifting his glass for a solo toast—and to Bristol, without her, Philadelphia would never be as sunny.

The End.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? Concerns?
I would love to hear what you think of the ending.

Based on some of the feedback I've gotten, I decided to write a sequel. It's called Second City. The first chapter should be up soon!