‹ Prequel: Goodnight, Beautiful.
Sequel: Second City.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

09.

Standing at the edge of the bed, Cameron eyed Bristol carefully as she slept. He had heard her come in late last night, leaving the three Briere boys eager to wake the young woman and begin the day. Cameron just wanted to lay with her. A week without Bristol had been hell for the entire household. They missed her cooking, her habit of helping them make their beds in the morning and the pile of clean and folded clothes sitting on their bed. Pulling back the quilt, Cameron had tempted himself to slide in next in next to her. He was rudely stopped by his father who popped his head into his room. “Let her sleep, Cam.”

Cameron looked at Danny with disapproval. It wasn’t like he had planned on jumping around and wake her up. Although it was already past eleven, he was more than willing to fall back asleep if it meant Cameron could be snuggled up to Bristol. The two oldest Briere boys were constantly taunting their younger brother for his may-december crush. Cameron accused them of being jealous; they didn’t touch her boob. “What if I just lay down with her and sleep too?” Crossing his arms over his chest, Cameron tried his expert negotiating skills.

“I don’t think so,” Danny escorted his son out of the room, leading him back to his room where he could pick it up before his mother arrived later that afternoon. “She told me to make her up if she’s not up by noon. If you clean up I’ll let you wake her up.” That seemed fair, Danny thought. Besides, he was just as antsy to have her up as the boys were. He was taking her out tonight, once the boys left. The two had yet to be on an official first date, even if he wasn’t sure if they were really dating. There were numerous questions Danny was eager to ask. She had arrived last night glowing, and part of Danny was sure it wasn’t from the tan. As he picked her up from the airport late last night, he had seen the way she hugged Dan goodbye, and kissed him. He just hoped his mind was playing tricks on his as he watched Dan’s hand travel down her back and rest on the curve of her ass as they hugged.

Sitting down at the table with a cup of coffee and the Sports section of the paper, Danny found himself day-dreaming, rather than reading. He smiled as he saw Bristol walk down the stairs. Her sun tan and burn was visible in the pink sleep shorts and black tank she changed in to. She hid a yawn with the back of hand as she sat next to him at the table. Resting her head on his shoulder, Bristol pointed to his coffee. “Are you drinking that?” Danny shook his head. He wasn’t much of a coffee drinker, but whenever he picked up the paper he had a sudden taste for the sweetened black liquid.

Reaching for it, Bristol blew the top, cooling it down. Goosebumps raced up and down her arms as she sipped the hot coffee. “Your youngest is rather lucky that I didn’t pound him into the ground.” From upstairs, they could hear the loud patter of feet as all three boys ran down the stairs. They were clad in their swim trunks, and said nothing as they raced past their father and Bristol and out to the backyard pool.

“Did he wake you?” Danny was rather pissed; he had reminded them several times—last night and this morning—to just let her sleep. Their flight from Dallas to Philadelphia had been delayed three and a half hours due to severe storms. Bristol had gotten a few hours of sleep, alternating between the shoulders of Dan, Mike and Jeff. She found the pillows on Danny’s bed to be better, more comfortable. Rummaging through the cabinets looking for something to eat that required no cooking at all, she grabbed a Hostess cupcake.

“The three of them did. I could feel their eyes just burning holes into my chest.” Bristol placed a finger on the tip of her nose after throwing the cupcakes wrapper away. “When I opened my eyes, Cameron was this close to me and he slapped by blistered back.” It was hard for Danny for excuse her tone. The way she spoke made him almost believe she was the older sister, annoyed with the childish actions of her younger brothers. And by the way she shoved the entire cupcake in his mouth, it made Danny realize he may have a fourth—but rather hot—child living with him.

“Did you just shove that entire thing in your mouth?” He had never seen anything like that from a girl. Danny shook his head, shocked, but impressed with her skill. Bristol needed more girl-friends. As she nodded and tried to swallow the chocolate cake, Bristol retrieved the gallon of milk from the fridge.

Tossing the cap on the counter, Bristol brought the gallon right to her mouth and started chugging. The Bristol that had come home from Cabo, wasn’t the same Bristol who had left a week ago. Wiping the dripped milk off her chin with the back of her hand, Bristol put it away. “Whoa, I haven’t done that in a long time.”

“What?” Danny asked, getting up. “Eating a cupcake in one bite or drinking the milk without a glass?”

“Both.” Bristol smiled, rubbed her bloated belly and headed out to the patio. In the pool, the boys splashed each other and yelled during a seemingly intense game of Marco-Polo. Caelan called fish out of water on Cameron, who dove in just as the words left his brother’s mouth. His splash was large enough to get the front of Bristol’s shirt wet with water droplets. The cold water felt refreshing on her burned thighs. She could feel the heat trapped under tank. Its discomfort had her squirming in the patio chair. Unable to take it any longer, Bristol stood up and headed to the edge of the in-ground pool. Putting a toe in, Carson dog paddled over to the edge and held on to the concrete wall. He was still too short for his toes to touch the bottom. “Are you coming in, Bristol?”

Sitting down and gripped the edge, Bristol hopped in. That answered his question. She kept her arms out of the water and let them rest on the ground. The water felt good against her skin as she let the water engulf her. Cameron put his hands on her shoulders and wrapped his legs around her stomach. His teeth were shattering. “Are you coming to the Jersey Shore with us next weekend?” Cameron’s lips held a tint of blue. Bristol wondered if it would be a good idea to get them out of the pool and into a warm shower. At least then they could horse around for a few hours until Sylvie came by.

“Of course I am. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” Reaching behind her, Bristol loosened the grip Cam had on her shoulders. “You three have to talk to your dad about coming out to Chicago in a few weeks. The five of us could go to a Cross-Town Classic game.” Their silence told her they knew nothing of the Cross-Town Classic. “You know, Cubs verse Sox?”

They completely ignored her question and Carson jumped in. “Dad took us to the Phillies game when the Cubs were here. They suck, who would ever cheer for them?”

Bristol pointed a finger at Carson; her eyebrows furrowed and a dark glare. “You bite your tongue. Someday the Cubs will win the World Series. Just look at the ‘Hawks, my brother and I were two of the five people who showed up for every home when they weren’t doin’ so well. They went on to win the Stanley Cup.”

“Yeah, but it only took them 49 years, the Cubs have waiting for over a hundred.” Caelan laughed. Growing up a fan of Chicago sports, Bristol had learned from an early age how to cope the disappointment of loss. At least now, she appreciated every win and took every loss with stride.

Bristol could feel her body begin to shiver as a chill set in. Shaking Cameron off, she hopped out tried to ring the water out of her shorts and tank. Stealing one of the boy’s towels, she wrapped herself in it and dried off before heading in. Danny sat on the sofa, engaged in the news, leaving Bristol able to sneak up the stairs unnoticed. In the bathroom, she managed to shower by holding her arm outside of the glass doors. Prancing around Danny’s room in her bra and panties, Bristol brushed her hair, brushed her teeth and laid out a pair of clothes. A chilly wind was in the air leaving her to choose floods and baby blue v-neck.

Standing in front of the vanity, Bristol carefully selected each color cosmetic. She stared at the array of eyeshadows in her pallet, knowing subconsciously she was going to pick the power pink with a touch of glitter over the deep browns meant for winter. Bristol had become quite the pro at applying her make up with her left hand. There were only a few more long days left until Bristol was to get her cast removed and she wondered if she’d be able to go back to using her right hand.

“Where are you going?” Danny leaned against the door frame in the bathroom, arms crossed over his chest. He was reluctant to hear her answer as fear evoked in his chest without her even speaking.

“Nowhere, yet. I was in the pool with the boys but I’m meeting Mike and Dan for a late-lunch, early dinner.” She smiled in mirror at. Danny hadn’t noticed until now that the shirt she wore made her eyes look even bluer. “I’m not hanging out until the boys leave though.”

She could sense the disappointment and she suddenly felt bad for making plans with Mike and Dan. Bristol was sure he had made plans for just the two of them. She could tell what he was thinking; why would she be rushing out to be with Dan and Mike after she had just spent a week of uninterrupted time with them?

“Oh, I thought you and I would go mini-golf later,” he laughed nervously. “But, since you already have plans, we can go another time.” Danny ran the whole family tree when it came to mini-golf. He couldn’t even let his boys win; it gave him a fatherly satisfaction when he’d drop the ball in one stroke.

Leaning in to the mirror, Bristol coated her lips with a coat of clear, peppermint gloss. Danny licked his own, tasting the mint on his tongue. Turning around, she placed her hand on her hip and thought. “Tomorrow night? I promise; I have no plans.”

He was just about to open his mouth and say something but, he was interrupted by the boys as they called out for Bristol downstairs. They were more than likely looking for another person to make the teams even on NHL 11. There was an awkward silence between them. Bristol didn’t know if she go down there quite yet, or stay there and face the giant elephant in the room.

“Be straight with me, did you two get back together?”

Bristol nodded; Danny sat on the edge of the bed, putting his hands on his knees as he let out a heavy breath. He had seen it coming; Danny tried preparing himself for the moment when those words would leave her mouth. But no matter how hard he tried to divert it, her words still stung like daggers. “I’m sorry, Danny. I never meant to hurt you, it was never my intention. Never in a million years did I expect I’d be here.

“Philadelphia has treated me well, and without it I wouldn’t have found the man I have fallen so deeply in love with.”

Looking up from the floor, Danny could see the tears welling in her eyes. He hadn’t thought of how much it must have hurt her. This was her decision, Bristol had the final word. Unfortunately for Danny it had been his heart to be broken.

“Danny, please don’t let this ruin the relationship you and I have. You are my confidant and I have no clue what in the hell I’d do without you. I love those boys more than I thought I could ever love anyone and I would drop anything and everything for them. I love you, so much, but I can’t say it’s the same love I have for Daniel. We may be in out forties by the time we get married but, he’s the one and I can’t bring myself to leave him.”

Wiping one of her tears away, Danny pulled Bristol down into his arms. He held her tight, feeling her tears as they dampened the front of his shirt. Pressing his lips to her forehead, Danny could feel his heart breaking more with each sob that escaped her. She had run her mind ragged trying to figure out what her best decision would be. In the mist of her crying, Danny assured Bristol she was always welcome back to his house and her decision to be with Dan would never change what they have. He couldn’t shut her out; he couldn’t do that to the boys, or himself.

“I better go down there before they come up here.” Bristol stood up, her knees popping as she grabbed a tissue from the bathroom. To give Danny some privacy Bristol closed the door behind her, leaving it cracked. Once he was sure she was down the stairs, Danny could feel his chest heave painfully. Shoving his face into the palms of his hands, he stayed quiet as he felt his own hot tears slip between the cracks of his fingers.

---

At four PM promptly, Sylvie stepped on to the porch of Danny’s house and rang the bell. From inside, she could the loud footsteps of Caelan, Carson and Cameron as they scrambled up the stairs to gather a few items. When Danny pulled the door open, Sylvie hadn’t expected to see him with swollen and red eyes or his hair a mess.

“Are you okay?” Her tone suddenly changed from the frustrated one she had arrived with to soft and sorry. “Is everything okay?” Sylvie could count on one hand all the times she had seen Danny cry since they were teenagers. It never happened.
He answered; his voice horse. “Yeah, everything’s fine.”

Looking over Danny’s shoulder, she saw Bristol sitting at the kitchen counter, slouched over a hot up of tea. She was hit with the reality of what happened. “Danny, I am so sorry. She’s such a sweet girl; I thought for sure you two would end up—.” Danny stopped his ex-wife there. The last thing he needed was her showing him pity; all it would do was end up killing him more. As if the diamond engagement ring on her left hand didn’t do that already.

“They should be down in a minute.”

Pulling something from her back pocket, Sylvie held up a tangled garment on her index finger. Danny looked at it, confused. “I found this in one of Cameron’s dresser drawers. Maybe you know where it came from.”

Shrugging, Danny answered honestly—he had never seen it before in his life. In the kitchen, Bristol looked at the clock on the stove; she had to meet Mike at his place just a few blocks away in ten minutes. She wanted to head upstairs to say goodbye to the boys and freshen up. Walking past Danny and Sylvie, Bristol did a double take when she saw what Sylvie was holding up. Snatching it from her finger, Bristol held it out; it was a red thong with Hawk heads. Kris and Patrick had gotten the thong for her on her twenty-second birthday as a gag gift. Bristol had worn it to every home and playoff game she attended during the 2008-2009 season. With the good luck they held, she refused to attend a Blackhawks game without it. When Bristol was unable to locate the panties, she nervously hopped she had accidently left them at her parent’s house after her Easter visit.

“Thanks for finding it for me.”

---

Shoving a French fry in his mouth, Dan placed his hand on the small of Bristol’s back. “So, how’d he take it?”

She had been rather quiet since they sat down for dinner at the local burger joint in Haddonfield. Mike and Dan asked Bristol to join them while they got a bite to eat before heading out the top-secret location they refused to tell Bristol about. “Not as well as I thought he would.” It wasn’t in Bristol’s nature to hurt people. She made it her life’s mission to make everyone—she cared for—happy.

“No shit,” Mike took a long gulp from the chocolate milkshake. “How would you feel if you and I played hockey together and I dumped you for Dan?”

Bristol took the question light-heartedly. She knew he was only trying to be funny; pull her out of the funk she had put herself in. “I would be upset.” Resting her head on Dan’s bicep, she let allowed herself to sink in to his arms. It was when she felt the warmth and securities of being so close to Dan did Bristol know she made the right decision.

Tossing his napkin onto his empty plate, Mike sat back, draping his arm across the top of the empty chair next to him. “I’ve got something to tell you guys; but you have to promise not to say anything to anybody.”

Bristol sipped her vanilla shake, crossing a sideways eight over her chest. Dan gave his scouts honor. “I got a call from my agent this morning and it looks I’m headed out to Los Angeles for next season. They’re trading me.”

“That shit sucks.” Mike appreciated Bristol’s condolences. “Having to give up the ‘C’. Well, depending on who signs him,” she pointed her thumb at Dan, “and where we end up, you may have a temporary roommate during the winter. I wouldn’t mind California during December.”

“As long as we can get massages, I don’t care.”

Dan had given little thought to whom he wanted to sign with come July. Everyone knew for a fact the Flyers weren’t going to offer him anything and he had already started packing some their stuff up. He had a short list of teams in his head he would like throw some numbers out at. But, as he looked over to Bristol—who was chatting with Mike—Dan realized his decision couldn’t solely be based on what he wanted. His decision had be made on what was best for he and Bristol.

“You two ready? We’ve got a long drive.” Mike interrupted Dan’s train of thought.

He licked his lips, looked down at Bristol, happy to finally see her smiling. “Yeah.”

Mike had surprised her when he said “long drive”. She wondered if it had anything to do with the fact the two men had insisted she dress warm and wear comfortable shoes. Preferably Converse rather than her favorite flip-flops. While Bristol hopped into the backseat of Dan’s SUV, Mike beat her to picking the tunes on her boyfriend’s iPod. When they were on the road, Bristol tried once more to get one of them to spill as Dan got on the expressway.

“Okay, where the hell are we going?” Bristol stretched her legs out over the backseat, looking out into the sunset as neither refused to answer.

“Dude,” Mike pointed to Bristol as he sarcastically added, “tell the woman to keep quiet. There’s no way I can take two hours of her yapping.”

“Two hours?” Leaning over the center counsel, Bristol searched through the playlist to a find a new song to listen to. Dan had booted Mike as the designated song-picker a while ago. She thought she’d use her female powers. Bristol slapped a quick kiss on Dan’s lips. “Still not gonna tell me?”

“Still not gonna tell you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I saw Carcillo's new roster picture on the Blackhawks website today and it motivated me to write an extra-long update! :)

I'd love to hear feedback from you ladies; concerns, predictions?