Detention Days

Count Chocula

Shoving the last spoonful of Count Chocula cereal in his mouth, Gerard Way got up fast and threw the bowl in the already too crowded sink. It landed with a thump but he was too preoccupied to care. He was frustrated beyond belief. He looked at the clock on the kitchen wall and nearly choked. It was already 7:40. That meant him and Mikey only had twenty-five minutes to get to school on time.

“Shit, shit shit,” he mumbled out. “Mikey! You better get your skinny little ass down here right now! We already missed the bus so that means I have to drive us to school.”

A yell from upstairs carried throughout the house. “Hold your horses Gerard. I have things to do.”

“Yeah, like put eyeliner on? You’re using the wrong color by the way.”

“Fuck you!”

“Just don’t stab yourself in the eye like last time. I swear, you just need to throw those glasses out and trade them for contacts.”

A few lone seconds of silence passed by before Mikey came arrived in the kitchen with his book bag slung on one shoulder. “I’m ready.”

Gerard checked his watch and sighed. “Well, no matter how fast I go, I know we won’t make it in time. Plus you haven’t even eaten any breakfast. Do you want any?”

The younger Way shook his head no. “No thanks. I need to talk to Frank in first period.”

“Isn’t that your little friend that has a crush on me?” Gerard asked with a slight smirk.

Mikey smiled and nodded. “Yeah, that just happens to be him.”

Shaking his head, Gerard grabbed his car keys. They walked out of the house and climbed into Gerard’s old silver XT.

Grimacing, Mikey reluctantly sat in the passenger’s seat. “When’s the last time you cleaned this piece of shit out? I think I’m going to have an asthma attack with all the dust on the dashboard.”

“You don’t even have asthma,” Gerard replied while putting the car in drive and pulling out of their driveway. “And besides, it’s my car. You’ll inherit it when I graduate. Mom and Dad already said that they were going to buy me a new vehicle. So suck that Michael.”

Folding his thin arms across his chest, Mikey propped his feet on the dashboard and signed. “Whatever Gerard.” He soon noticed the lack of noise and frowned. “Urm, does your radio not work or something?”

“Oh yeah, about that,” Gerard said while awkwardly clearing out his throat. “Do you see that portable radio back there?”

“Dude!”

“Chill out Mikey. It’s got excellent signal.”

“Whatever. Hey, I can see the school from here,” Mikey said.

“No shit,” Gerard muttered while slowing down the car and pulling into the parking lot. He found a vacant spot, drove the car in, and parked. Him and Mikey got out and grabbed their stuff from out of the backseat.

“Holy shit,” Mikey said with a smile on his face. “I can’t believe it.”

“Believe what?” Gerard asked.

Mikey pointed a thin finger to the school’s front stairs. Sitting there all alone was Frank Iero. He had ear phones in and was gazing up at the sky.

“No wonder everybody thinks that he’s a pothead,” Gerard said with a laugh.

Mikey either pretended not to hear his brother’s comment or he didn’t hear it. He had already walked up to Frank and the two were rapidly chatting away as if they hadn’t seen the other in years.

Shaking his head, Gerard walked up to the two and smiled. “Well, I think it’s time we go in and get our slips before we get our asses in any other trouble.”

The two younger guys agreed and all three of them walked through the door. They all made their way to the office where they were met with apprehensive looks.

“May I ask why all three of you were late?” The secretary asked with a rather haughty look on her face.

“We had car trouble,” Gerard answered without missing a beat.

She looked rather hesitant to give them a back to class slip, but nevertheless she gave them one, adjoined with a bright pink detention slip.

As soon as they made their way into the hallway, they stopped and stood there. “Well I guess we’ll be seeing each other this afternoon,” Mikey said.

Frank nodded his head. “True that.”

Gerard nodded his head. “I would love to chat some more guys, but we can do that this afternoon. I would advise you to go to your classrooms too. Sophomore teachers aren’t the nicest.” And with those last few words, Gerard turned to the left and disappeared in that hallway.

“Ready to go Frank?” Mikey asked.

“I guess.”

The two boys walked to their classes anticipating the end of the day.
♠ ♠ ♠
805 Words.