Have Faith in Me

The Fight

“Good to see that you’re better,” Brian said, hugging me. Matt and I had walked backstage after having spent some time together walking around Milwaukee.

“I’m just glad I’m not throwing up my guts anymore,” I laughed as I hugged him back. I took my usual seat on an unused amp as the guys watched Stone Sour perform. Matt wandered over to me as the last song started to play. He stepped in between my legs, placing his hands on either side of me.

“You look preoccupied,” he murmured, resting his forehead against mine. I shrugged, wrapping my arms around his neck.

“It’s nothing to worry about. Just a little homesick,” I lied. His hazel eyes searched my blue ones. Something flashed across his eyes, telling me he knew I was lying. The truth was that I thought I’d seen someone I didn’t want to see as we walked into the backstage area. I sincerely hoped it wasn’t him but something tells me I’m wrong.

“Even though I can tell you’re lying, I won’t press you for answers.” Matt glanced back to see the guys getting ready to head out. “I gotta go. Wish me luck.”

“Good luck,” I chimed as I pressed my lips to his. He left his spot and went to stand behind Zacky. I hopped down from the amp and went to go take some pictures.

The guys were ending their last song when I was walking away, looking through the pictures I had taken.

“Oh, sorry!” I apologized when I bumped into someone.

“It’s okay,” a male voice said. I froze when I heard the familiar voice. I glanced up and sure enough there stood the last man I wanted to see.

“What are you doing here, Aaron?” My voice was shaky, much to my displeasure. He held up a camera.

“I’m a photographer for Disturbed. What are you doing here?” he replied.

“Photographer for Avenged.” There was an awkward silence.

“You look good, Rachel.” His voice was quiet. I glanced at him. My eyes started to water a little. “It’s been awhile.” I still didn’t say anything. I was mentally urging the guys to get done fast.

“Rachel?” a familiar husky voice said. I let out an obvious sigh of relief.

“Hey, Matt,” I greeted, turning to face him. His hazel eyes were trained on Aaron. They were narrowed. I noticed the subtle flexing of his arms. I glanced at Aaron and saw him staring at Matt through narrowed blue eyes as well. “Uh, Matt, this is Aaron, my ex. Aaron, this is Matt, my boyfriend.” Matt took a step towards me and wrapped his arm around my waist.

“So you’re the fucker that hurt Rachel,” Matt said.

“Matt!” I yelled, looking up at him but he ignored me. Aaron’s eyes narrowed even more.

“I may have hurt her but I regret it. Besides, like you’re any better for her,” he spat. “I just know that you’ll end up hurting her.”

Matt’s POV:
I tightened my hold on Rachel’s waist.

“I’m not asshole like you,” I snarled. He let out a humorless laugh.

“She’s much better off with me than you.” I immediately let go of Rachel and walked up to him until we stood nose to nose. I had an inch of an advantage on him.

“Don’t you fucking talk like you know me. You don’t know shit so get the fuck out of here before I make you leave.” Aaron open his mouth to retort, his blue eyes furious.

“Matt!” Rachel cut off. I could hear the tears in her voice. I looked at her and sure enough, the tears were just barely being held back. I turned and started towards her.

“That’s right. Run back like the pussy you are.” I turned on my heel and my fist collided with his jaw. I ignored Rachel when I heard her scream my name as Aaron and I started to fight. It seemed like it was just seconds later that I felt myself being pulled back. I tried to yank myself out of the hold of whoever was holding me, anxious to get back to beating up Aaron, who was being held back by Corey and David Draiman from Disturbed.

“Calm the fuck down, Shadows!” Brian growled as he struggled to keep my arm down. I realized it was taking the combined efforts of Brian, Zacky, and Johnny to keep me away from Aaron.

“Matt, please!” Rachel sobbed. I froze at the sound of her voice. I glanced over at her and saw Mike was holding her as if she had tried to get in the little skirmish. My body relaxed and the guys slowly released their hold on him.

“Get him away from Matt,” Johnny told Corey and David. The two men nodded and started to drag a struggling Aaron away. I walked over to Rachel, who was crying. I wrapped my arms around her and she buried her face in my chest.

“You all right, Rachel?” I whispered. She shook her head.

“Brian and Mike will take her back to the bus. I need to talk to you,” Zacky said. I reluctantly let go of her. Brian put his hand on her back as he, Mike, and Johnny led her out. The minute they were gone, Zacky rounded on me. “What the fuck was that?” he demanded.

“He’s the asshole that hurt Rachel!” I yelled back.

“So what if he hurt Rachel?! That doesn’t give you the fucking right to beat the shit out of him!” I glared at him.

“You can’t fucking tell me what I can and can’t do.”

“I fucking will when you scare Rachel like that.” I looked at him, confused. His emerald eyes blazed with anger. “She was about to get in that fight to stop you two if it hadn’t been for Mike. How would you feel if one of your punches landed on her? Huh?” I looked down at the ground, shame pulsing through me.

“Like shit.”

“Exactly.” Zacky paused for a moment. “Rachel was terrified the moment you jumped on him. She started sobbing the moment you threw the first punch. You say you care about her but then you go and scare the fucking shit out of her by beating up her ex.” I immediately went back to glaring at him.

“Don’t you dare accuse me of not caring about Rachel,” I growled.

“Then fucking show you do and go apologize to her.” We looked at each other for a moment before I sighed and left the venue. I trudged my way back to the bus. Standing outside the door, I took a deep breath before walking in.