Have Faith in Me

Disapproval

“No.”

“Come on. I’d rather they meet me for who I am.”

“I said no, Matt,” I repeated.

“Please, Rachel?” he begged.

Matt and I were getting ready to go out to dinner with my parents. We had spent the whole day moving what was I going to bring to Matt’s house, selling the rest of it back to furniture stores and stuff. I was putting on some make-up, arguing with Matt that he had to dress up.

“Why are you even putting on make-up? You look so much better without it.”

“No changing the subject, Matthew. Go change.”

“What’s wrong with my Pantera shirt and jeans?” I turned to look at him, putting a hand on my hip.

“The fact that you’re wearing them, for starters.” I went back to the mirror and pulled out my mascara. “And we are guests at their house and they want guests to dress formally. They are in the rich part of Huntington meaning they have money and they like to show it off.” I heard the bed creak, signaling that Matt had stood up. I turned around and looked up at him. “Matt, please.” He pressed his lips against mine, kissing me deeply and wrapping his arms around my waist. I groaned when he pulled away, a sign of defeat. He smirked and I rolled my eyes in response.

“I don’t want your parents to receive a false impression of me,” he murmured.

“But your shirt and your tattoos…” Matt shrugged.

“Wouldn’t be the first time that someone stared at me because of my tattoos.”

“Well my parents aren’t too fond of tattoos,” I told him.

“I don’t give a fuck.”

“Your language is offensive.” He rolled his eyes and I giggled.

“You’ve heard me cuss multiple times and you choose now of all times to tell me my language is offensive.” I giggled again before pecking him on the lips.

“I’m just messing with you.” I pulled away from his grasp. “Ready to go then?” He nodded. “Then let’s go.”

“I still say you don’t need that shit on your face,” Matt chimed as he locked the front door. I rolled my eyes.

“Presentation, Matthew. Presentation.”

“I’d appreciate it if you stopped calling me Matthew as well.”

“All right, Shadows.” He groaned and stopped his feet like he was a little kid. I laughed as I climbed into the car. I smoothed the wrinkles out of my emerald dress.

“First you bitch at me about my outfit, then you call me Matthew, and then you sass me by calling Shadows,” Matt muttered darkly under his breath as he started towards my parent’s house. He shook his head, letting out an exasperated sigh. “What am I going to do with you, woman?!”

“Love me, feed me, never leave me?” I replied with a cheesy smile. He chuckled.

“You are ridiculous sometimes, you know that?” I smiled, looking out the window. Nothing was said as we drove to my parents house. I heard Matt whistle as we pulled up to my parent’s house.

“Yeah, that’s my parents for you. Come on. Get ready to meet the two people that raised me.” I climbed out of the car. Matt grabbed my hand as we walked up to the front door of the large, two story house. I could tell he was nervous by the way he clenched my hand. I flashed him a reassuring smile as I knocked on the door.

“Ah, good evening, Miss Rachel,” the butler greeted.

“Good evening, Henry,” I greeted in return.

“They have a butler?” Matt whispered incredulously as he followed me in to the living room. I smiled sheepishly, sitting down on the couch.

“I told you my parents like to flaunt their wealth.” Heels and a pair of voices were heard down the hall. “Now hush. My parents are coming.” I stood up when I saw my mother and father enter the living room.

“How are you doing, Rachel?” my mother greeted after hugging me.

“Good. Hello, Father,” I chimed as I gave my father a kiss on the cheek.

“It’s good to see you, honey,” my father said.

“Rachel! Who is this… this man that sits on my couch?” my mother shrieked when she spotted Matt. I gave Matt a sympathetic glance.

“Mother, Father, this is my boyfriend, Matt. Matt, these are my parents, Melinda and Robert Grace.”

“It’s… nice to meet you, Matt,” my father said as he shook Matt’s hand.

“Nice to meet you as well,” he said, giving him a tight smile.

“Why don’t we go start dinner now?” suggest my mother. My parents led the way into the dining room.

“Behave, please,” I whispered to Matt. He gave me a look but said nothing. We sat down at the table. I glanced at Matt when my mother was saying grace.

“So, Matt, what do you do for a living?” my father asked after a few minutes.

“I’m in a band,” he answered as he chewed the corn in his mouth.

“Oh really? What band?”

“Avenged Sevenfold. We’re a hard rock, metal band.” My mother attempted to smile politely; instead she grimaced.

“How did the two of you meet?” she questioned.

“I got hired as a tour photographer for them and things just happened from there,” I replied. Nothing more was said as we ate. I caught my other throw disapproving looks at Matt.

“Why don’t we have a drink in the living room, Matt?” my father offered. Matt glanced at me before nodding.

“Honey, you need a better man,” my mother immediately said the moment they left.

“Why’s that?” I demanded. I tried to keep my annoyance out of my voice.

“Look at him, Rachel. He’s not dressed presentably and those tattoos…” She broke off with a disgusted shudder.

“He’s fine the way he is.”

“You would do so much better if you got back together with Aaron.” I jumped to my feet, glaring murderously at the woman before me.

“Aaron is part of my past and he will stay there,” I spat. “I love Matt and everything about him. So you can either accept that or stay out of my life.” I stormed out of the kitchen, my silver heels clicking against the wooden floor. I walked into the living room where Matt was glaring daggers at my father. “We’re leaving, Matt,” I said. Matt stood up wordlessly. He grabbed my hand as we walked out.

“What happened?” Matt quietly asked as he started driving.

“Nothing,” I answered sharply, yanking the silver stilettos off of my feet. I pulled my hair out of the bun it was in and started to wipe off the make-up. “I don’t even know why I try even more.”