Have Faith in Me

Rookie

Matt flashed me a grin as the lights flashed around him. The boys of Avenged were in the middle of their first show in the hometown Long Beach. I was behind the barriers separating the crowd from the stage, standing in between two security guards. I moved over to take a side shot of Zacky. Johnny made a face as I took a picture of him.

“Good night, Long Beach! You guys were awesome!” Matt told the crowd before walking off stage. I headed off to the side where the steps up to the small area by the stage were. I was climbing up the stairs as Mike, the last to get off the stage, exited the stage.

“You guys did a great job,” I complimented. “Your shows never get old.”

“How many times have you seen us then?” Brian asked.

“Not counting when I’ve seen you twice in one year…” I quickly counted on my fingers. “Eleven times. It’s probably fifteen or something if you throw in when I’ve seen you guys on both your spring tour and your summer or fall tour.”

“Damn. Someone’s a dedicated fan,” Mike laughed. I smiled bashfully.

“I have been since Sounding the Seventh Trumpet.”

“Don’t find many of those anymore,” Zacky commented.

“Yeah, well when people think you sold out with City of Evil, you’re bound to lose fans.” The four surviving members of Avenged shrugged.

“You win some, you lose some,” Matt dismissed.

“I do know I’m gonna win some sleep soon here,” yawned Zacky. He led the way out with the rest of us following him.

“What are you still doing up?” I heard Matt ask. I looked up from my laptop and saw him standing in the doorway that led to the lounge in the back of the bus. He was leaning against the frame, holding the curtain out of his way with his shoulder.

“I could ask you the same thing. I thought you’d knock out like everyone else,” I replied. He shrugged as he moved to take a seat next to me.

“I am tired but I wanted to stay up longer.” He leaned over to look at my laptop screen. I got a faint whiff of cologne. “Get any good shots tonight?”

“A few. I’ve been looking at them since we got back.” I continued looking at photos as we sat in an awkward silence. I felt his eyes trained on me. I glanced at him and saw a thoughtful look on his face. “What?” I asked, a light blush spreading across my cheeks.

“You’re really shy,” he observed, “and you blush an awful lot.”

“Shyness has its disadvantages.”

“I would say it’s an advantage. You’re cute when you blush.” I looked away as my blush deepened. Matt chuckled.

“I’m not as shy when I get used to people.”

“Well are you used to me then? Because you’re not being very shy at the moment.” I shrugged, tossing him a glance.

“I’m gonna go to bed,” I quietly told him as I closed my laptop. “Good night.”

“Night,” he murmured.

***

“You can’t get me! I’m behind a girl!” Zacky yelled, dashing behind me. Johnny stopped in front of me, his eyes trained on Zacky. We were on our way to San Diego for the next show and Johnny was chasing Zacky around the bus for some reason unknown to me.

“Don’t use poor Rachel as a shield,” Brian said as he pulled me from in between the two men. “Rule number one when touring with us: never let someone use you as a shield,” he told me as he led me to the small booth he, Matt, and Mike were sitting in.

“I gathered as much,” I replied. I focused my camera on Zacky and Johnny and took a picture as Johnny jumped at Zacky. “You guys are playing tonight, right?”

“Yeah,” Mike confirmed. I nodded.

“I’m gonna have to disappear for a bit when we stop to find a camera shop. I need to buy something for my camera.”

“Want one of us to go with you?” Matt offered. I shook my head.

“I’m fine going by myself. Besides you guys have a show to do sound check for and stuff. I’d probably throw off all of your guys’ schedules.” Matt shrugged and went back to talking to Mike.

“So how long have you been a photographer?” Brian asked me, turning to me.

“About three years. I’ve had my degree in photography since I was twenty-two but I wanted to get a home and everything before looking for a job photographing. I had wanted to work at Revolver since I was a teenager and I luckily landed a job there,” I explained.

“What stuff have you shot?”

“I’ve done a few landscapes and random shots of the beach, sunset, places I’ve been, and people. Most of it consists of bands I’ve gone to see, shoots and concert photos I’ve done for small bands, and stuff I’ve done for Revolver.”

“Sounds like you’re a pretty accomplished photographer.”

“For three years I am.” I tucked a strand of dark brown hair behind my ear. I glanced at Matt, who was now listening in to our conversation as well as Mike. “I was surprised to get an offer from you guys to being with. It’s pretty unheard of for a rookie,” I added.

“Well you do have talent,” Mike interjected. “Matt and I looked up some of your work that you had posted on your own as well as other websites. All of your photos sure know how to leave an imprint on someone. One I particularly remember is one of Alex Varkatzas from Atreyu. You caught him while in the middle of a scream and you can just see the power and practically feel and hear the raw energy in his scream.” I blushed a little.

“I’m glad you liked them,” I stammered. He smiled at me before getting up and disappearing to the bunks. Brian and Matt talk for the rest of the way to San Diego. The moment the bus stopped, I jumped off and went off on a hunt to look for a camera shop.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this story has a few readers and subscribers all of which I love. It'd be much appreciated if you guys suggested this story to your friends and/or commented. :D

Next update in 3 days~