Zombie Airship

Escape to the sky's.

"Come on, sugar, let me see up that pretty uniform of yours." Said the grimy private who had transfered to Abigale's fort. She hated when they got new recrutes.

"I ain't your sugar, you bloody pig." She spat ripping his hand away from her thigh. She spun around and had him pinned against the wall with her forearm in an instant. "You're lucky I don't report you to your superior!"

Living in a world of men was hard on Abigale. She ranked high in the militia, commanded her own troops, and carried herself with pride, but still inults were spat at her, only because she was a lady. This was just another example of the treatment she endured from insuperiors.

"Ay! Bint! What are you doing to my private?" Shouted Sgt. Audrey Clonin, a right git. He sauntered over to where Abigale was standing, "You better get back to your post, Gunny, or I'll report you to YOUR superiors." He spat.

"Thank you, Sgt. Audrey." Said Pvt. Charley Burke, saluting his sector leader.

"Get back to you post too." He shouted.

The Private turned swiftly with a salute and marched off. Abigale smugly stuck her toungue out at him and muttered, "bloody muppet." Her mood turned for the worse, leaving her a boiling pit of anger and frustration.

A lifetime of hard work had gotten her where? A mudhole where men had the upperhand and she was going nowhere-- absolutely nowhere. She pulled her coat around her slim shoulders, turning to the crowd gathering behind her.

"What are you looking at?" she questioned loudly. "Back to your training!"
The large crowd scattered, her booming voice scaring them away like mice. The winter winds whipped her hair against the back of her neck. This was getting old.

"He was out of line, Gunny." Whispered her only friend in the fort, Officer Cooley Packenhan, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.
She turned around to look into his comforting bright sky blue eyes...sky blue, the colour of the sky. The sky she had dreamed of soaring through since she a was an infant.

"I know. It's just....exhausting. All of the brutes. The whole lot of 'em!" She said, rage quivering in her strong voice.

"It's hard, but someday..... you'll go where you really wanta be," Packenhan stated surely. "I know ya' will."

Abigale ran a hand through her auburn coloured hair.

"I really hope so, Cooley. I really do." She looked up at the sky once more, longing to feel the rush of the wind on her face and the warmth of the sun on her back. She turned away from him.

"I just want to get out of here, Cooley." She said, a silent tear on her face, and a hitch in her strong voice. "I wanna fly."

He turned her around to face him, he was shocked to see her crying. But, Gunny never cries, he thought. He pulled her close to his chest.

"I'll help you get out. But you have to promise to write to me." He said, as he sniffed. "Meet me here at midnight."

She pushed off his chest and ran off to her bunk. She sat on her bed and stared at her only picture of Cooley. She gathered her resolve and got up to gather her things.

With one last tear she tucked his picture into her coat pocket and went to meet him at the mess hall. Time had passed by fast while she thought.

"You came." He said as he went to grab her bag. "I have a horse waiting, we'll ride until the nearest town, then I must leave you."

"You have no idea how much I thank you for this, Cooley." She said as she climbed onto the stallion. Cooley secured the bag to the horses sadle and got up in front of Abigale.

They galloped until they reached the small town of Gray. They stopped in the forest near the market.

"You must leave me from her, Abigale." Whispered Cooley. He dismounted and got her bag down.

"Thank you." She whispered, looking into his eyes she realized how much she was going to miss him.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, dear plague rats, I have a new obsession. Steampunk. And this is my steampunk persona. Gunnery-Sgt. Abigale Holbrooke ll.