Zombie Airship

A Treasure In The Forest

Silently, Abigale wandered through the forest looking for the next town. She shouted hardily as she went tumbling to the ground. Her bag went flying and her skirt came up over her head. "What is this?" She mumbled as she examined what she tripped over.

It was a fan blade.

She looked around and discovered bits and pieces of an airship, old, decaying in some places, and rusting in others . She found a chuck of the main haul. "SS Nightshade" was engraved in the tarnished wood.

It must have been a beauty in it's prime. It must have made thousands of trips through the clear blue skies, all over differnent countries and cities. This old airship must have a lot of history behind it to crumble into such a pile of rubble.

Though it was such a sight, Abigale couldn't withold her facsination. The dull, varying tones of brown invited her to step inside for a ride through the undying sky. She picked up a broken shard of bronze shrapnel, staring at her sweating reflection in it's slight gleam. Abigale stroked it, feeling the cool metallic feel under her fingertips.

Abigale spotted a pair of aviator's goggles under a piece of rotting wood. She tucked the metal shrapnel under her arm and pried them from under the rot, placing them on her head, ontop of her auburn locks. A perfect fit.

"This is my chance," she thought, unable to breathe. She'd always wanted to take to the sky, and with her military engineering training this was her chance. Who knew when she'd get another opportunity of this kind? She decided right then and there, as she longingly picked up another piece of dull bronze and pieced the two together, she was going to rebuild the SS Nightshade and take to the skies.

------X------

She sat on the forest floor piecing together her ship. It was coming together nicely. She had even restored the glimmer of the ship with a little elbow grease. Though it was far from complete, three weeks had been good to the SS Nightshade. You could hardly tell it had once been a heap of stacked rubbish.

"Who's a good girl?" She whispered petting her ship like it was her own kin. It was almost complete. Three weeks had come and gone and she hadn't noticed. She hadn't found a place to live yet, and she was eating whatever she could quickly grab out of the market in town, but her dreams were so close to coming true... the hardships of daily life were very much worth it.

"You've got a beautiful ship there, dear."

Abi spun around to confront her visitor, reaching for her garter gun. To her surprise she found a quitely distinguished looking women standing behing her, gazing at her ship with quiet admiration from behind a pair of thick-rimmed bifocals, holding a microscope and a parasol.

"She is a beaut', isn't she?" Said Abi questioningly, proudly wiping her brow on her oil soaked billy.

"And who might it's captain be?" Asked the mysterious woman in soft tones.

"I am Gunnery-Sgt. Abigale Marie Holbrooke ll." She said proudly, holding her hand out. "Might I be so bold as to ask who you are?"

"I am Doctor Augustine Colgan. Ex military scientist gone rogue." She stated with pride in her voice, taking Abi's hand proudly and shaking it figurously.

"Might I ask why you went rogue?" Abi inquired. She was intrigued that there was another female military officer who got away.

"My ideas were to out of this world for them. I have so many thoughts that could enrich the world, create the perfect world, yet they only deem me insane. They never understood. Nobody ever has. Not only this, but I was ridiculed for being a woman. I could take it no longer, so I ran." She ran a hand through her curly honey-coloured hair, taking a seat next to Abigale. "If you're a military officer, why are you so far away from the nearest fort?" Her mossy eyes sparkled with intrigue.

"I ran away. I was tired of being messed with, and I have always wanted to take to the sky." sighed Abi, staring into the sky's of which she so desperatly wanted to be in. The deep blue colour stared back at her-- taunted her. It tantilized her, inviting her into it's folds and waves of mystery and magic. Another sigh escaped her lips.

"I see. " She whispered in her quirky way. She plucked a leaf off of the dying grass and put it on her microscope.

'What a strange lady,' Abigale thought, staring at the mystery of a woman.

"Oh dear." Abigale whispered, as she stared blankly at the ship.

"You have no idea how to fly it, do you?" Said Dr. Augustine, peering through her microscope, and taking notes on a pad of paper, pulled from the bag hanging over her right hip.

"No. I don't. I haven't the slightest idea, Dr. Augustine."

"Lucky, for you, I happen to know the scientific method of flight. So, I am sure we can figure it out." She smiled toothily, green eyes glimmering almost as beautifully as the winter sky.

----X-----

Dear Cooley,

I still thank you greatly for helping me escape. I have found the remnants of an airship, and I have taken it upon myself to rebuilt it and go for my magical adventures in it.
I have also made a new friend, Doctor Augustine Danielle Colgan. She, like I, ran away from the military because she was ridiculed for being a woman.We've decided to take to the skies together.

I miss you, Cooley. I miss my platoon. I hope to hear from you, are you well? How are my boys? Have they noticed I'm gone yet? Such a silly question, of course they have. Anyway, I hope you write back, I'm not sure where I'll be when you do. So, I guess there's no point.

Yours truly,

Abigale Marie Holbrooke ll.