‹ Prequel: Chasing The Laughter

Shooting Star

0014.

Layton held back a groan as she entered a local coffee shop in dire need of a caffeinated drink. Matt had picked Marley up over an hour ago, and he had explained to her that they were going over to his parents so Marley could meet her grandparents. Layton was nervous for him, not sure how it would go, but she hoped it went well and that Kim and Gary didn’t freak too terribly bad over the fact that they had a granddaughter that they never even knew existed.

Threading her fingers through her locks of hair, she stepped in line, wishing there weren’t so many people in front of her. She really needed a cup of coffee but didn’t want to be late for work. She knew however, Maria wouldn’t be too angry with her for being a few minutes later. She had after all been going into work pretty early since she started, so maybe it wouldn’t be too big of a deal, or so she hoped.

“You look like you’re in a rush,” Someone said from behind her.

With narrowed eyes, Layton spun around and came face to face with a guy. He was tall, almost hovering over her even though she was wearing heels, and he had short black hair and piercing blue eyes. Layton couldn’t help but think he was attractive. To say it had been a while since Layton had been on a date would be an understatement. The last date she went on was over seven months ago, and it was with a guy whom she had actually considered dating and even saw him as a potential husband, but Marley hated him, and Layton knew that she had to kick him aside because it was important for Marley to like and feel comfortable around any man who could someday be her step-father. Layton hadn’t tried to date ever since.

Nervously she smiled, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear, “I am. I’m sort of late for work.”

The mysterious guy flashed her a large smile, “Where do you work, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Uh, I work at the hair salon around the corner,” She murmured.

“Ohh,” He nodded, “Maria’s salon.”

“That’s the one,” Layton smiled softly.

“You’re lucky then,” He told her, “Maria is a pretty nice lady who I’m sure won’t mind you being a few minutes late.”

“I hope not.”

The line finally moved, but not by much. There were still a good three people in front of her. Layton chewed on her lip before looking down at her watch. It was three past eight, and she knew she would probably be another good ten minutes, but there was nothing she could do about it. She needed her coffee before her first client came in.

“Well I’m Greg,” He extended his hand and she shook it.

“It’s nice to meet you. I’m Layton.”

“Layton?” He raised one eyebrow, “That’s an interesting name.”

She laughed quietly and nodded her head, “I guess it is.”

Greg smiled, “So do you happen to be single, Layton?”

Layton licked over her bottom lip, feeling nervous again. Should she lie? She wasn’t sure. She knew that the possibility of anything blossoming from a friendship into a relationship was most likely not going to happen, especially since she has a daughter, but then again, she didn’t necessarily have to tell him she had a daughter, not yet anyways.

“I am,” She said, deciding on the truth.

“How about a date then?” He questioned.

Layton laughed, “We don’t even know each other! For all I know you could be some serial killer or a rapist.”

Greg chuckled, “You have a point,” He smirked, “But you won’t know unless you go out on a date with me.”

“That’s a pretty risky thing to do,” She breathed out.

“Oh c’mon, don’t tell me you don’t take risks every now and then?” He tilted his head, still smirking with amusement.

“I don’t actually, or well, I try not to.”

“Then I guess this is the perfect time to start.”

Layton stared at him for a moment, wondering is she should. He seemed nice, and didn’t seem like a danger, so Layton finally gave in after a minute. “Fine. How about tomorrow night?” She asked him.

Greg grinned and nodded enthusiastically, “That sounds perfect.”

Reaching into her purse, she pulled out her cell phone before handing it over to him. “Give me your number and I’ll text you my address this afternoon.”

Greg quickly complied and did as she said, the smile never leaving his lips. “It was nice meeting you, Layton, and I look forward to our date,” He told her.

She laughed at him before turning around and stepping up to the counter, her turn to order. Greg quickly stepped up to the counter too, saying it was on him after she’d already ordered. Layton turned to him with narrowed eyes, about to protest but he insisted. She smiled. The gesture was sweet.

“Thank you,” She said as they both stood side by side waiting for their coffee.

“Don’t worry about it,” He shook his head, “A three dollar coffee isn’t going to break my wallet or anything,” He joked, making her laugh.

Once they had their coffee, they walked out of the coffee shop together, said goodbye, and then headed opposite directions to their cars. Layton sighed softly with a smile as she latched her seatbelt before starting up the car. She couldn’t believe what had just happened. She, Layton Summer’s, had a date. She couldn’t believe it, but honestly, she was excited. She’d decided that she wasn’t going to mention it to Marley though, because if she did, the little girl would throw a fit. Marley hated the idea of Layton dating, so Layton knew better than to tell her. If she enjoys herself tomorrow and wants a second date with Greg, then she’ll tell her, but until then, she’s keeping it a secret from Marley.

Soon, Layton was rushing into the salon. Maria, Gena, and Amber, another girl who worked there, were all standing together talking. Layton smiled at them once they noticed her and started to immediately apologize to Maria for being late.

“Honey, please,” Maria shook her head, “There’s no need to apologize. You’re always here on time. One day won’t hurt anything.”

Layton breathed out in relief, “Thank you.”

Gena laughed at her, “What’s made you so late anyhow?”

“Long line at the coffee shop,” Layton shrugged, holding up her large iced coffee.

“What else is up?” Amber asked her, a sly smile curved at her lips.

Layton raised one eyebrow at the redhead, “What do you mean?”

“You’re all happy this morning, like some good has happened. Wanna explain that?”

Layton drew in a deep breath, trying to fight the smile that wanted to so badly stretch across her lips. “I sort of got asked out on a date for tomorrow night,” She told them.

“Oh my God!” Gena nearly squealed with excitement.

Layton laughed, “His name is Greg and he’s really cute.”

“You’re going, right?” Amber grinned.

“Yes, of course.”

“This is so exciting, Layton,” Gena told her, “I wondered when you’d start dating.”

Layton rolled her eyes, “I’ve dated, it’s just hard with Marley. She hates anyone I bring around.”

“Well that’s a child for you!” Maria chimed in as she walked around the front desk and starting to do a few things.

“Yeah, well, it sucks.”

“Actually,” Gena smirked, “She doesn’t hate everyone you bring around.”

Layton narrowed her eyes, “What do you mean?”

“She adores Matt.”

“Oh God!” Layton’s eyes widened, “Please tell me that you’re not suggesting anything is going on between us? He’s engaged to Val, Gena!”

Gena raised her hands in defense, the smirk never leaving her lips. “All I’m saying is that you two have not only a child linking you two together, but also a pretty deep past, and I don’t know about you, Layton, but I’ve seen the way he looks at.”

“I am not discussing this any further. Matt is Val’s,” Layton shook her head as she walked past the woman and headed to her booth to start setting up for the day.

“He was yours first!” The blonde called out after her, making Layton roll her eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have a new story starting if any of you are interested: Close Your Eyes