‹ Prequel: Chasing The Laughter

Shooting Star

0019.

Matt groaned at the feeling of a heavy yet small body sitting on the very top of his chest, making it hard for him to breathe. Opening his eyes, he was met with Marley staring at him as she sat crisscross on top of him. Narrowing his eyes in confusion, he looked to his right for Val but she was missing.

“Marley, what are you doing?” He asked, his voice heavy with exhaustion as his eyes flicked over to the clock on the dresser that read 9:15 am.

“I’m hungry, Daddy,” She murmured with a small voice.

“Well I’m tired.”

“Well I’m hungry,” She said with a little more force to her words.

He breathed in deeply, closing his eyes, “Okay, how about we compromise? You lay here with me for a little while longer, try to get a bit more sleep, and then we can get up and I’ll attempt to make you pancakes.”

“You can’t reason with me.”

He sighed and muttered, “Where’s Val?”

“I dunno,” She shrugged, “I heard her leave a while ago.”

Opening his eyes again, he raised one eyebrow at his stubborn young daughter, “How long have you been sitting on me?”

“Fourteen minutes.”

“Can you get off? You’re starting to crush the breath out of me.”

“Can you feed me?” She smiled.

“Yes, okay, I'll feed you if you get off of me,” He gave in.

Marley shrugged and rolled off of him, nearly crushing a rib in the process. Matt groaned as he slowly sat up while Marley sat beside him on her knees, staring at him, still smiling. Matt shook his head at the little girl before throwing the covers off of his body and climbing out of bed, stretching his muscles.

“I like your shirt,” Marley said.

Matt looked down at his t-shirt and then back at Marley, “You know who Korn is?”

“Yep. Mommy lets me listen to them.”

He chuckled and shook his head, “Of course she does.”

Marley stood up and walked to the edge of the bed. Matt reached for her, picking her up and setting her on his hip, before carrying her out his bedroom, down the hall, and then down the stairs. The house was silent and Matt wondered where Val had gone and when she would be back, but for now, it was just him and Marley.

He walked into the kitchen, set her down on the counter and said, “Stay there,” before letting Bella out the backdoor to use the bathroom. Then he went over to the sink and washed his hands in order to make breakfast. Marley stared at him curiously as he started to gather the ingredients he needed in order to make pancakes for him and Marley. He would just give her some sugary cereal or something, but he didn’t have any, and pancakes sounded pretty good to him.

“Are you sure you know how to make pancakes?” Marley asked him.

“Sure,” He nodded.

She tilted her head, “You don’t sound sure.”

“I’m a thirty three year old grown man. Of course I can make pancakes.”

Marley giggled, “You’re old.”

He turned to her, his eyebrows rising, “I am not!” He argued.

“Are to!”

“Am not!

“Are to!”

“Am not!”

“ARE TO!”

The doorbell rang, cutting off their disagreement. Drawing in a deep breath, Matt shook his head at her before wiping his hands on a dish towel. “C’mon on, Monster. Let’s see who’s at the door this early.” He picked her up and carried her out of the kitchen, into the foyer and over to the door.

Matt pulled open the door and was surprised to see Layton standing there. They hadn’t decided on a certain time she would come pick Marley up that day, so he kind of expected for her to sleep in and relax most of the day instead of coming to get her so early. He didn’t mind, especially since he was a little irritated with the child, but he had made plans for him and Marley for that afternoon.

“Mommy!” Marley struggled to get out of Matt’s arms and into her mother’s.

“Hi baby,” She grinned, taking her from Mat’s arms, “Did you have fun staying the night with daddy and Val?”

Marley nodded, “Yes! We watched a movie, and ate junk food, and we even went swimming!”

Layton laughed, “That’s great, baby.”

Matt smiled at her and then motioned for Layton to come inside. She stepped inside the house and closed the door behind her. “We’re making pancakes. Want to help?” He asked.

“Sure, I guess,” She nodded, “Where’s Val?”

“I have no idea, to be honest,” He chuckled, “She left a little while ago before I woke up.”

“Oh, okay,” Layton murmured and then followed Matt into the kitchen. “Well I see you’ve done a good job at keeping the kitchen clean so far.”

He chuckled, “Yeah, and now you’re here, so maybe it won’t get too messy. Val will kill me if she comes home to find this place a mess.”

Layton smiled, “Don’t worry. If we make a mess, we’ll clean it up before she gets back.”

Instead of allowing Matt to help, knowing that he really wasn’t the best cook, Layton made Matt and Marley sit at the bar while she made them pancakes. They all talked and laughed as Layton cooked. Matt found himself enjoying the time he was able to spend with Marley and Layton together, because although he didn’t love Layton more than just a friend, he had missed being with her. They had, after all, practically grown up together.

After breakfast, Matt took Marley upstairs to take a quick bath since she had gotten syrup all over her face, while Layton cleaned the kitchen. When she was finished and the kitchen was back to normal like it had been when she got there, she leaned against the counter and smiled when she noticed she had received a text from Greg. It seemed too early for him to be texting her, but he had told her the night before that he was a Christian man who attended church every Sunday morning, which Layton kind of liked. It showed her just how important his morals and values and beliefs were.

Upstairs, Matt was frustrated with Marley who refused to take her clothes off and get into the bathtub. Matt sighed, “C’mon, Marley. You have to take a bath if you want to go to the zoo.”

“No!” She folded her arms across her chest stubbornly.

He knelt down in front of her, raising one eyebrow at her, “Okay, tell me what’s wrong? Why are you so afraid to take your clothes off?”

She shrugged, “You’re a guy.”

“So?” He narrowed his eyes together.

“Mommy says only she can see me without clothes on.”

He drew in a deep breath, “Okay, If you feel more comfortable with mommy giving you a bath, that’s fine, but I want you to know something. Mommy only says that so no one can ever hurt you, but you can trust me. I wouldn’t hurt you.”

Marley still shook her head, “Mommy only.”

“Alright,” He nodded, “I’ll get mommy. You stay there.”

Matt exited the bathroom, walked down the hallway, and then leaned over the stairs railing, calling out Layton’s name. After a minute, she came walking into the foyer with a confused expression, asking what’s wrong. Matt only waved for her to come upstairs, saying there was a problem.

“She won’t undress in front of me to take a bath,” Matt said.

“Oh,” She sighed, “Sorry about that, Matt. She’s a very shy little girl.”

“It’s okay,” He shrugged, “But I hope sooner or later she trusts me. I would never do anything to hurt her.”

Matt completely understood Marley not wanting to undress in front of him and respected her wishes, but he couldn’t help but let it get under his skin a little bit. If he had been there from the start since she was just a baby like he should have been, Marley wouldn’t have an issue trusting him like she seemed to have, and he hated that. He wanted her to know that he’d never hurt her in any way because he loved her more than anyone on the planet.