‹ Prequel: Chasing The Laughter

Shooting Star

0005.

“Marley Jeanette Sanders,” Layton warned, her eyes scolding the six year old for throwing such a temper tantrum in public.

Marley was angry because Layton refused to buy her a new doll when David had just bought her a new one days before. Layton was trying to teach her daughter that she couldn’t have everything she wanted just because she could throw a temper tantrum. It didn’t work like that, and Layton was not about to let Marley get away with doing it, especially while they were out in public.

“Mommy,” Marley pleaded, pushing her bottom lip out even more than it already was.

“I said no,” Layton made herself clear. “Now if you don’t stop this nonsense right now, you won't be getting any desert after dinner tonight, do you understand young lady?”

Sighing dramatically, Marley nodded, “Yes, ma’am.”

Layton breathed out and turned back to the shelves filled with cans of all different kinds of vegetables. Since David was working most of the day, Layton decided to make dinner for them tonight. She knew her dad would appreciate a hot meal after a long day of working. She knew she didn’t have time to cook anything too fancy, but some baked chicken with vegetables on the side didn’t sound too bad. Plus, she knew it was something Marley would most definitely eat, considering most of the time she was picky as could be about what she ate.

Marley huffed rather loudly before turning away from Layton to look around. Her eyes widened suddenly and a small gasp left her lips before tugging at Layton’s arm. “Mommy!” She exclaimed.

“What is it now, Marley?” Layton asked as she looked down at her, frustration and annoyance written all over her face.

“It’s Syn Gates and Shadows!” Marley started to jump up in down with excitement after recognizing the two men who were members of her favorite band. She had been listening to Avenged Sevenfold since she was just a baby.

“What are you talking about?” She questioned as she gave Marley her full attention.

Marley pointed to their left, “There! They were right there, mommy!”

Layton looked to where she was pointing at before rolling her eyes when she saw no one there. “You must have them confused with someone else, Marley, no one’s there.”

“No!” Marley protested, stomping her little foot. “I saw them. I swear I did. Theirs arms had ink on em.”

Layton sighed and knelt down to Marley’s level. “Honey, the Avenged boys aren’t the only men on earth who have ink on their arms.”

Marley shook her head, her hazel eyes narrowing. “I. SAW. THEM.”

Layton took a deep breath and pinched the bridge of her nose before standing up and placing the few cans of vegetables in her arm in the buggy full of other items. She turned back to Marley and before the small girl could protest, Layton picked her up and set her on her hip. She may have been slightly heavier than she was used to, but she didn’t care at that point.

“Let me down,” Marley squirmed.

“No,” Layton shook her head, “We are going home, and you are taking a nap.”

“That’s not fair!”

Layton refrained from rolling her eyes at her daughter. “No. You want to know what’s not fair? Me having to run around all day while you act like a spoiled little monster. I will not tolerate this behavior from you, Marley Jeanette.”

Marley said nothing at the sound of her first and middle name coming from Layton’s mouth. She only pouted some more as tears stung her eyes.

-x-

“Go on,” Layton murmured, “Get in and buckle up.”

She watched closely as Marley climbed into her car and shut the door before opening the trunk to load the groceries in the back. Layton was tired and irritated by the way her daughter had been acting all day, and she couldn’t wait to get home. She hadn’t exactly finished everything she needed to, but that was okay. She would finish up everything tomorrow sometime.

Just as Layton closed the trunk, a loud horn beeped as brakes screeched to a halt and a small scream was heard. Layton whipped around and froze at the sight of Marley lying on the concrete just inches from an SUV that had stopped before hitting her. Layton ran over to her daughter in a panic, shocked at how Marley climbed out of the car so fast and quietly without her even noticing.

“Marley!” She said as she dropped to her knees next to her daughter. “Marley?”

“My arm!” Marley cried, tears slipping down her cheeks. “Mommy it hurts.”

“Let me see, baby,” She murmured as she pushed Marley’s hand away from it.

Layton swallowed hard as she noticed how it seemed to be a bit bruised and was already starting to swell. Layton wasn’t exactly a nurse, but she had studied nursing for a year before switching her major, and she knew bruising and swelling like such wasn’t exactly a good thing. She didn’t think it was broken, maybe a sprain at the most.

“I am so sorry,” A deep, distressed said from behind Layton. “She ran out in front of me out of nowhere.”

“It’s okay,” She said from over her shoulder. “Come on, baby,” She murmured to Marley as she lifted her up in her arms and cradled her.

Layton turned around but stopped before walking any further as she came face to face with Matthew Charles Sanders, the one man she was trying to avoid at all costs since she had moved to Huntington a week ago. Layton couldn’t help but notice how flustered and shaken up he seemed.

“Should I call an ambulance?” He asked as his eyes bounced back in forth from Layton to Marley.

“Uh,” Layton mumbled, “No. I’ll drive her to the hospital myself. It’s not too far, but thanks anyways. And hey, it’s really not your fault,” She assured him.

“Well, uh,” He licked over his bottom lip, “At least let me follow you guys so I can see how she is. I won’t be able to function normally the rest of the day if I don’t know myself she’s all right.”

Layton sighed, wishing he would just get back into his SUV and drive away like none of this had ever happened, but she knew Matt pretty well even after all those years of not having him in her life, and she knew he really would be worried sick the rest of day if she didn’t let him follow them to the hospital.

“Okay,” She finally nodded, “You can follow us there.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I have few links for you guys today if you want to check them out! (:

Trust Will Fade && Insecure