‹ Prequel: Chasing The Laughter

Shooting Star

0007.

“Parents or guardians of Marley Sanders?”

Layton scrambled out of her seat and over to the doctor, while Matt came up from behind and stood next to her, muttering something about Marley and his last name. Layton didn’t pay any attention to him. She didn’t care at that moment. The only thing that was on her mind was Marley and how she was doing.

“Is she okay?” Layton questioned as she folded her arms across her chest.

“She’s fine,” The doctor smiled, “Her arm isn’t broke. In fact, it’s just a sprained wrist. Now there is some bruising from the fall but that’s about it. She’s going to be just fine. I put a splint on it, which she needs to keep on at all times. If you bring her back to see me in two weeks then I can determine whether or not it’s healed up yet and the splint can come off or not.”

Layton breathed out and smiled, “Thank you so much.”

“Can we see her now?” Matt questioned impatiently.

“Of course,” The doctor nodded, “She’s down the hall, second door on the left. You can take her home whenever you’re ready, you just need to sign a few forms. I’ll be right back with those.”

Layton nodded and murmured another thank you before the doctor walked off. She turned to Matt who was looking pretty nervous at the thought of meeting his daughter soon, and Layton couldn’t help but wonder if she was doing the right thing. Should she introduce him to Marley as her father or just maybe an old friend for now instead of working her all up? And how was Marley going to react? That little girl adored and looked up to M. Shadows, but she had no idea that he was her father. Layton had never told her, so she knew that Marley would probably jump up and down with excitement if she knew the man she looked up to was indeed her father.

“Are you sure you’re ready for this?” Layton asked with a small sigh, “Just because you haven’t been in the picture for the last six years of her life does not mean that you can come and go out of her life as you please,” She told him, giving him a warning look.

Matt almost felt offended by her comment. “I’m here to stay, Layton. She’s my daughter and I’m going to always be here for her.”

Layton nodded, “Well alright then.”

Layton walked down the hallway with Matt trailing close behind her until she found the room that Marley was in. She turned to Matt and told him that she would bring him inside to meet Marley in a minute, and that she wanted to talk to the little girl alone. Matt nodded his head at her, understanding what she meant.

Breathing in and out, Layton pushed open the heavy door and walked into the small room. Marley was sitting on the edge of a hospital bed while talking to a nurse who seemed to be entertaining her quite well. Layton frowned softly as she spotted the small splint that was on Marley’s wrist. She hated the thought of something being wrong with her baby.

“Marley,” Layton murmured as she approached the little girl.

Marley’s eyes lit up at the sound of Layton’s voice as her head snapped in her direction. “Mommy!” She smiled.

Layton knelt down and wrapped her arms around Marley’s petite body, giving her a small squeeze. “Are you okay?” Layton asked when she pulled away.

Marley nodded, “My arm doesn’t hurt real bad anymore.”

“That’s good, baby. I’m glad you’re okay,” Layton smiled softly.

Marley frowned and tears welled up in her eyes as she looked at Layton. “Am I in trouble, mommy?”

Layton sighed softly, not really sure of her answer. “I don’t know yet, toots, but don’t worry about that right now. All that matters is you’re okay,” Layton said, “However, I would really like an explanation as to why you got out of the car, snuck past me, and ran out in front of a car.”

“I saw a kitty.”

“A kitty?” Layton breathed out and shook her head, “You just about got yourself killed because of a kitten?”

“I’m sorry,” Marley mumbled.

Layton pushed a strand of Marley’s hair out of her face. “I know, baby. I know.”

Layton licked over her lips and wondered to herself how she was supposed to tell Marley about her father wanting to meet her. Layton had never discussed her father with her, just like Marley had never asked. She seemed happy and content with just a mommy around. But Layton knew deep down that introducing her to Matt was going to be a good thing for Marley. She needed a father figure in her life besides David.

“Can I still dance with this thing on?” Marley asked, staring down the splint on her wrist.

“I’m not sure,” Layton shrugged, “But I’m sure we can ask the doctor and see what she thinks when we see her again.”

Marley murmured an okay as she picked at the bottom of her blue top. Layton took a hold of both of her hands and gave them a small squeeze.

“Can you look at me, baby? I have something that I need to talk to you about.”

Slowly, Marley moved her head and looked straight at Layton, curiosity flooding over her vision. “What’s wrong, mommy?”

“Nothing’s wrong,” Layton smiled and shook her head, “But here’s the thing, toots. There’s someone standing outside the door waiting to meet you.”

Marley’s small hazel eyes narrowed in confusion, “Who?”

“Well,” Layton murmured, “Your father.”

“Daddy?”

Layton nodded, “Yep. He’s waiting right outside for you. He wants to meet you real bad. So what do you say? Would you like that?”

Marley’s lips turned into a smile as she nodded furiously.

“Good,” Layton smiled, “Wait right here and I’ll bring him in, okay?”

Marley nodded once more, and Layton stood up to walk over to the door. She pulled open the door and stepped out into the hallway. Matt and Brian were leaning against the wall near the door talking. Layton cleared her throat, and Matt turned around just as Brian’s eyes met hers.

“You can come in and meet her now.”

Matt breathed out and nodded. He was pretty nervous, but he was trying his best not to let his nerves get to him. “Okay,” Matt said.

“Good luck, man,” Brian told Matt, clapping him on the shoulder.

Matt tossed him a look over his shoulder before him and Layton both headed into the room where Marley was waiting. Layton made her way inside first, before Matt slipped past her. Immediately his eyes focus in on the little girl sitting on the edge of a hospital. He wanted to go over to her, pick her up, and give her the biggest hug she had ever received from somebody, but he knew that would probably freak her out.

Marley looked back in forth from Matt and Layton before tilting her head slightly, confusion spreading over her face. “Hey! You’re Shadows!”

Matt glanced at Layton with a raised eyebrow, wondering how she knew who he was. Layton just smiled softly and kept her mouth shut. Matt licked over his lips and turned back to Marley. He couldn’t seem to comprehend that he had fathered a little girl with Layton. It was as if none of it was real, but Marley looked just like him. She had his dimples, his hair color, and his eyes.

Slowly, Matt made his way over to the little girl. He knelt down with a grin and extended his hand. “Hi, Marley, I’m Matt.”

Marley narrowed her eyes and shook her head, “No, you’re Shadows.”

“You’re right,” He chuckled, dropping his hand. “I am Shadows, but that’s only when I’m on stage. When I’m off stage, such as now, I’m known as Matt.”

Marley looked over at Layton who nodded, confirming that what Matt had said was true. “So you’re Shadows but you’re also my daddy?” She asked softly, trying to make sense of it all.

Matt nodded, “Yeah, Marley, I’m you’re daddy.”

Layton’s heart fluttered once she heard those words as smile tugged across her lips. She had always wondered how this moment would happened if it did ever happen, and this was hands down better than she could imagine. Seeing Matt and their daughter communicating for the first time was a very special thing for her, and she didn’t regret it one bit. It seemed right for them to be in each other’s lives, and Layton was no longer going to stop them from having a relationship. She knew it was selfish to do in the first place and she regretted keeping Marley away from Matt, but she hoped that things would be okay from here on out. Layton knew it was going to be a challenge for her and Matt and everyone around them, but it was worth it.

“Can I have a hug?” Marley finally asked, smiling.

Matt laughed and nodded, “You can have as many hugs as you’d like.”

Marley happily got to her feet and stepped into Matt’s large arms. He embraced her against his chest and kissed her head, and they stayed like that for several minutes, neither one of them wanting to let go, not even Marley who would never usually hug someone as long as she hugged Matt.