Status: Comments make me update more!!!

Finding Bat Country

Twenty-One

I ran as fast as I could, halfway through the woods I transformed into a werewolf and felt incredibly powerful. It was amazing that all of this was happening. But besides the incredible powers I just had found out about, I was still really pissed that Ben and Syn had done this to me. I don’t know how long it took but before I knew it, I was in front of my house.

It was dark out so I swiftly moved through the large dog door and headed for Veronica’s room, only to find that all of her stuff was gone and only the furniture was left. A low growl escaped from my throat as I turned and bolted to Alex’s room. He was sound asleep and everything looked the same. It was the same with my mom’s room except Tim was gone and so were all pictures of him and my mom together.

My feet moved, quickly down the hall to my room. I was relieved to see that Veronica was asleep in my bed. She must have moved into it when I disappeared. The only thing that threw me off was that she looked a bit older and matured a bit. My eyes widened when I saw the calendar that said it was 2012. Had I really been gone a whole year?

My mind wondered to Jackie and I decided to go to her house to see how she was. When I got there the house looked abandoned. Peeking in the windows, I saw that there was nothing inside of the house. Sneaking through the back door I found that there was indeed nothing inside, except for dust and spiders. In the bathroom I looked in the mirror to see that my eyes were a purple. It was amazing how great I looked as a wolf, insanely pretty.

I shut my eyes and when I opened them I was back to my ‘human’ form, but my eyes were still purple. My clothes were gone, leaving me bare standing in front of the bathroom mirror. Quietly I walked through the house to the attic where I did find all of Jackie’s clothes and her abandoned bed.

“What the?” I mumbled to myself when I saw a newspaper on the desk.

I picked it up to read the headline, which said: Shocking suicide of local girl

Tears spilled out of my eyes as I read the article which told of how Jackie’s mother walked into her room a few weeks after I went to ‘camp’ and then went missing. Jackie was hanging from the ceiling with a rope wrapped tightly around her neck. In the note she had left behind told of how she was sick of the world and alone now that her best friend had disappeared. Instantly Mitch felt guilty, she couldn’t bear to read the paper any more. So she tossed it aside and pulled on a pair of Hollister shorts, socks, and one of her favorite shirts. I searched around and found a blanket then curled up on the bed to cry myself to sleep.

***

When I woke up, Syn was sitting on the edge of the bed. He had a blank expression on his face.

“You can’t stay here.” He shook his head at the young girl.

I rolled my eyes and sprang up, “I’ll do whatever the hell I want. Do you realize how much I’ve missed? My best friend is dead, her mom moved, my sister is older and my mom and Tim apparently split up.”

“Yes, I’m sorry but that’s the way it had to be.”

I shook my head, “No that’s the way you wanted it to be.”

“Either way, you still can’t stay here. You’re a hazard to everyone you care about.”

I swiftly moved from the bed and towards the door. He followed close behind not saying a word. My stomach made a loud growling sound. As I walked out of the front door he grabbed my shoulders and spun me around to face him.

He stared into my purple eyes, “Do you want to kill them? Cause if you go to them now, you won’t be able to control your hunger and you’ll kill them.”

“How do you know?” I spat angrily.

Syn sighed and gave me a sad looked, “That’s what I did…”

I instantly felt a wave a guilt sweep over me once those words escaped from Syn’s mouth.
He remained silent, not saying anything. I didn’t know what to do since he probably felt bad now and I felt like an asshole, so I wrapped my arms around him. He stiffened up for a second then relaxed into the hug, wrapping his arms around me as well. It felt right to be in his arms, almost as if I belonged there. It felt like we hugged for a good couple hours, but in reality it had only been about two minutes.

“You have to come back with me, you can come visit in silence when we quench your hunger. You have my word.” Syn whispered softly into my ear.

My heart was beating fast as I tried to think this over all of this. I made the quick decision to agree but only under my rules.

“Okay, I’ll go back. There will be conditions though.”

He nodded, “Like?”

“I have to go shopping for clothes, I need privacy, and I want it to feel like home. Okay?”

Syn thought for a second then nodded, “Alright.”

We both turned around to see that a black BMW was parked right in front of them. The passenger side window rolled down to reveal Jimmy with a huge grin on his face. Matt was driving but Zacky and Johnny weren’t in the vehicle. Brian opened the door for me, letting me slide in first then followed. Matt drove off and as they passed my house I saw Veronica and Alex outside running around in the sprinkler with huge grins on their faces. My mom was smiling at them as she lounged on a pool chair.

“They don’t even miss me.”