Status: Comments make me update more!!!

Finding Bat Country

Six

Jimmy pushed me out of the room and slammed the door before Veronica could attack.

“What did you do to her?” I demanded to know.

Jimmy rolled his eyes and pulled me into another room. He shoved me down into a chair and locked the door.

“She’s a vampire.”

“What?” I asked confused.

Vampires aren’t real………..right?

“Vampire. It’s French, from German Vampir, of Slavic origin. It means a reanimated corpse that is believed to rise from the grave at night to suck the blood of sleeping people.” Jimmy informed me while looking through a book shelf.

He pulled out a large red book and opened it up, “Vampire is a corpse that supposedly returns to life at night to suck people’s blood. According to many folk stories, a vampire must have a constant supply of fresh blood which is obtained by biting the neck of sleeping victims. The victims lose strength, die, and become vampires themselves.”

“This isn’t real. It can’t be.” I shook my head trying not to believe a word that he just said.

He opened another book and began to read again, “The vampire as a negative image of the Christ - that gave his blood to save men, Nosferatu gives blood to corrupt souls and propagate evil. The Vampire is self-sufficient and despite the attraction he may provoke, seems to be beyond ‘sexuality’.”

Jimmy paused and looked up at me to see if I was still listening, which I was.

“The vampire does not age nor will it die from the passing of time, though it may appear to age if it goes sometime without feeding. However, the vampire can also undergo or rejuvenate with the blood supply. Most of the vampire’s powers increase with age and experience. Dracula is considered as the master of all vampires but it is unsure if he was the first vampire on earth.”

“Dracula?” I asked.

He smiled, “Dracula was indeed the first no matter what these damn books say. But his son, he is in many ways better than his old man.”

He turned and put the book back on the shelf before pulling out another book.

“Strength. The vampire’s physical strength greatly exceeds that of mortals. Dracula is described as having the strength of twenty strong men. Funny story about that Dracula was nothing compared to his son.”

“Who was his son?” I asked, suddenly interested.

Jimmy chuckled, “You’ll find out soon enough.”

“Now where was I?” He asked looking at the book then continued once he had found his spot.

“Shape-shifting. The vampire may command several animal creatures such as the wolf, the rat, the fox, the owl, the bat, and the moth and is also able to assume the form of a wolf or bat and possible any of the other animals subject to his command. The vampire may also transform himself into a mist or dust cloud drifting in the air. Vampires may alter their size within certain limits, becoming either larger or smaller. Vampires may also climb walls much like a large insect. He may climb normally or with his head towards the ground much like a spider.”

I was a bit overwhelmed by the idea of my sister being a vampire. Vampires were supposed to be just like a horror story, but according to Jimmy they were real.

“Oh wanna hear about the league with the demons?” Jimmy asked.

I nodded without saying a word.

“Well, in modern stories and series, the vampire gets the ability to command some form of magical or monstrous beings. Demons, zombies, etcetera. This all seems natural as the vampire is in connection with the devil.”

“Like the devil?” I asked.

He nodded, “It is considered dangerous to speak the name of the devil because he might hear you and decide to make horrible things happen to you. I believe the full term is “Speak of the Devil and he shall appear.”

Jimmy set the book down and pulled out another, “Satan, Lucifer, Beelzebub, or the devil. The Bible, taken literally, clearly states the devil exists. Satan is mentioned by name in 47 passages. But really, who reads the Bible anyways?”

He tossed the book behind him but to my surprise it landed back in its spot on the shelf. Jimmy grinned at me before picking the other book back up again.

“Within a limited range, the count has the power to control the weather. He often uses fog or mist to cover his movements. Telepathy, telekinesis and other mind powers. The power to become invisible and to pass unseen among his enemies. Necromantic power. Vampires can also raise the dead that will come as zombies at his command.”

“Can vampires control minds?” I questioned.

He nodded, “Yes, it was one of the things we used to bring you and your sister here.”

I pointed an accusing finger at him, “You turned her.”

“No not me, Dracula’s son did that.” He smiled.

I covered my face with my hands, “Turn her back, please.”

Jimmy set the book down and forced me to uncover my face without even touching me.

“Are you willing to make a deal with the devil?” He asked.

I nodded, fighting off tears.

“If your absolutely sure.” Jimmy clapped his hands and he disappeared, leaving behind a cloud of smoke.

I couldn’t believe any of this, but I had to. What other choice did I have?

“So you want to make a deal?” A man appeared out of nowhere, taking me out of my thoughts.

He was dressed in a black robe with the hood up that kept me from seeing his face.

“Are you the….” I trailed off.

“The devil?” He asked with pure amusement in his voice.

I nodded a bit afraid of what could happen.

He chuckled, “No but close. I’m a demon and I’m here to help with your problem.”

“Aren’t demons like not supposed to help people?” I asked.

He shook his head and laughed, “Well in this case it will be a win, win situation.”

“As long as you turn her back and let her go, I’ll do whatever it takes.” I nodded.

His face peeked out of the hood a bit so I could see him smirk, “Perfect.”

A cloud of smoke appeared before I could ask what about what I had to do. Syn walked out of the cloud of smoke and grabbed my wrist.

He covered my mouth and whispered into my ear, “Are you sure about this?”

I nodded and let him drag me down the hall with the demon following behind us. He brought me into a room that contained two chairs. In one of the chairs my sister was strapped into a chair. Syn forcefully kissed me then strapped me down in the other chair. Veronica was growling and clawing at me.

“Take a deep breath.” Syn smiled then shoved a needle into my arm.

He smiled and pressed his lips to mine, “See you soon.”