The Beginning

Dinner for five

"No problem," Ellie said smiling at Mike, "I'll pass it on," and with that she kicked Brooks next to her.

"Hey," Brooks said looking at Mike.

Mike pointed at Ellie, "Wasn't me," he said laughing.

"Oh real smooth, way to throw me way under the bus there," Ellie said.

"Have to protect myself here Elle," Mike finished smiling still.

There is that nickname again Ellie thought, who does he think he is anyway. Does he even remember halloween night? I left before he even woke up, and I am sure he is used to that.

***

Mike focused on the burger he was eating and chose not to speak for the rest of dinner, he had already used the stupid nickname he came up with for her again. He was the biggest fool ever he decided.

Brooks seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself and the girl sitting next to him.

"Hey Elle, you wouldn't mind giving John and Mike a ride home would you," Brooks asked.

"Are you kidding Brooks," Mike asked, "It is fucking Wednesday and only 7 o'clock," Mike stated.

Abby blushed as Brooks kicked Mike, "Yeah and I am 27 years old, but thanks for the clarification."

"I can give them a ride home, see you later then Abs," Ellie said looking at Abby.

Abby smiled and the two got up leaving quickly.

"Brooks acts like an 18 year old sometimes I swear," Mike started, "who does that?"

"Uh, you," John said laughing.

That got Ellie laughing and Mike couldn't help but smile when she laughed, she was contagious. She tilted her head back laughing and he watched as her chest rose and fell to the laughter.

"Well I might as well take you guys home," Ellie said catching her breath.

***

"Bye Abs," Ellie said.

Minutes later John and Mike were in Ellie's car and John was giving direction on how to get to his apartment.

"Bye Carly, see you tomorrow," Mike said as he was getting into the front seat.

"I am just going to say it," Ellie started when Mike got into the front seat, "We slept together."

Mike just looked at her, "What," she continued, "I mean we both knew it happened, might as well own up to it no," Ellie asked.

"Look, it was a thing, a one night thing, I get you're used to it, but I'm not and I was drunk and basica-"

"It's fine, you're right, nothing more to it," MIke cut her off.

"Ok," Ellie finished.

The rest of the ride was in silence and Mike wasn't surprised when she knew where his apartment was, thank goodness he only lived two minutes from John's place, he thought.

As Ellie waited for the garage door to open Mike opened his door expecting to get out and see her drive away.

"Hold on," Ellie said grabbing his arm, "Yes, I live in that other building," she said.

"Oh, I didn't, I didn't realize," he said.

"Yeah, well surprise, we are neighbors," She said sarcastically.

She drove in and parked, the two got out without exchanging words. As they made their way up the stairs to the lobby and parted ways Mike yelled out, "You will learn to like me Elle, in the way I already like you."

Ellie turned her head in his direction with a cold hard stare, his lips were curved in a smile and his eyes were soft and smiling as well. His hair looked like it hadn't been brushed or even touched since he woke up and his right shoulder slumped down making him seem more approachable. She couldn't resist his smile and she softened her stared and gave him a smirk, "We will have to see about that Mr. Green," Ellie replied.

"See you tomorrow, Ms..." he trailed off, not knowing her last name.

"Gretzky," Ellie said and got into the elevator opposite of him, turning around just in time as the doors were closing to see his mouth drop open and eyes get wider. She left him with a smile and rode up to her floor.