Status: Completed - thanks for reading!

Uncharted Territory

Christmas Presents

Grace

The doorbell to our house rang and my mom instantly became excited.

“Oh, I bet that’s John. I’m so glad he agreed to come over and celebrate Christmas with us. I’m also glad that you guys are back together, it’s just like old times.”

“I know mom. You love John as if he were your own son.” I rolled my eyes.

“He is such a nice boy. Plus we got used to seeing him all the time since he was over here a lot while you guys were dating.”

I ignored my mom’s last comment and went to answer the door.

“Merry Christmas.” I smiled as I leaned in to give John a kiss.

“Merry Christmas.” John replied and then picked up the bag full of presents before walking into the house.

“John, I’m so glad you’re here.” My mom said as she wrapped John in a hug.

“Thanks for inviting me.” John smiled.

“You are more than welcome over here anytime. I’m going to go check on the food in the kitchen.” My mom said before walking away.

I rolled my eyes. “I think my mom’s in love with you.”

“If only she was twenty years younger. I guess I’ll have to settle for you.” John joked and I stuck my tongue out at him.

Shortly after we were all seated around the table and eating Christmas dinner. Thankfully the conversation flowed freely and there were no awkward silences. I almost had a sense of déjà vu. Christmas my senior year of high school was very similar to this one.

“Well I think it’s time for presents.” I said as soon as everyone had finished eating.

John rolled his eyes. “I can’t believe you still act like a three year old when it comes to presents.”

“I get more excited for giving the gifts than receiving them. I love surprising people.”
John laughed as he sat down beside me on the couch.

I leaned into him as he put his arm around me. “You didn’t have to buy gifts for everyone in my family.”

“You guys invited me over for Christmas. I needed to bring something. Plus I got Ryder a pretty awesome gift even though Reagan wouldn’t let me get him this leather jacket for one year olds. She said it’d be too big or something stupid like that.”

“She’s right. So Reagan went Christmas shopping with you?”

“Yeah, you know how bad I am at picking out gifts.”

“I could have helped.”

“Then you would have seen what I got you and that would have ruined the surprise.” John said.

“So what did you get me?”

“I thought you liked giving gifts better than receiving them.”

I shrugged. “Fine, I like getting gifts too.”

John laughed. “Here you go. I…umm…I wasn’t for sure what I should get you so I hope you like it.”

I opened up the small box and smiled when I saw what was inside.

“Thanks John. I love it.”

John breathed a sigh of relief. “Good. I didn’t know if you still wore the charm bracelet or not.”

“I actually haven’t worn it since I left Tempe three years ago but I’ll put this new charm on and start wearing it again.”

The first birthday I celebrated with John as my boyfriend he got me a charm bracelet and made it a bit of a tradition to buy me a charm for every birthday, Christmas, and anniversary after that.

“I got you another gift too because just getting you a charm is pretty lame.”

I opened up the other gift John got me and gasped when I saw it.

“John, this is beautiful.” I said as I lifted the necklace out of the box.

“I’m glad you like it.” John blushed as he clasped it around my neck.

“I love it.” I smiled as I kissed him. “Here’s your gift.”

John opened up his present and gasped when he saw it. “A Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers vinyl? This is nearly impossible to find! Where’d you get it at?”

“I actually found it when I was living in Chicago. I saw it and remembered you saying had badly you wanted it but could never find it. I went ahead and bought it with the hopes that I’d be able to someday give it to you.”

“Well I love it, thanks. I love you too, Gracie.” John said as he leaned in to give me a kiss.

“I love you too.” I replied.

“Ok, enough with the PDA. We have a little one here.” Ashley joked.

I rolled my eyes while John laughed. For the rest of the afternoon John, my family, and I just sat around talking. My mom was right; it was just like old times.

Eventually John had to leave so he could go with his family to celebrate Christmas at his grandma’s house. I stood up so I could walk John out to his car.

“Thanks again for coming over. I was worried it was going to be kind of awkward but it wasn’t.” I said as I leaned into him to not only hug him, but also block myself from the chilly, winter air.

“Why would it be awkward? It was just like old times. I’m glad I came over though. I’ll see you later.” John gave me one last kiss before getting into his car.

I waved as John drove away but something was bothering me in the back of my mind.

Everyone kept saying how things were just like old times and for some reason it bothered me. I wanted my future to be new. I didn’t want to feel as if I was living in the past.
I shook the thought away and walked back into the house.

“John just left and I’m going to head out for a little bit.” I told my parents.

“Where are you going, sweetie?” My mom asked.

“I’m going over to Kennedy’s house. I have presents for him and Reagan.”

“Ok, tell them I said hi.”

I nodded and then grabbed the gifts before walking out the door. I got into my car and headed to Kennedy’s house. As I arrived Reagan was walking out the door.

“Hey Grace. What’s up?” Reagan smiled at me.

“I was just coming over to give you and Kennedy your Christmas presents.”

“Oh, well I’m actually getting ready to head over to Joel’s but Kennedy’s inside. You can just go on in.

“Thanks Reagan. I’ll just put your present in your bedroom. Have fun with Joel and his family.” I said before heading into the house.

I walked in just like Reagan said to do and found Kennedy in the living room watching “It’s A Wonderful Life.”

“I love this movie.” I said as I sat down.

Kennedy jumped. “Geez Grace, you scared me. Umm…yeah, I love this movie too. It’s my favorite Christmas movie.”

“Mine too! John disagrees though. He says Rudolph is the best.”

“Rudolph? Seriously? That movie is for five year olds.”

“That’s what I tell him.” I laughed.

“So what brings you by? I’m sure it wasn’t so you could watch ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’ with me.” Kennedy said.

“I came by to give you and Rae your Christmas gifts. I saw Reagan leaving as I came in so I told her I’d just set hers on her bed. I figured I could give yours to you now though.” I said as I handed Kennedy a gift.

“Grace, you didn’t have to get us gifts.”

“I know, but I wanted to. So open it.”

Kennedy unwrapped the gift. “Tickets to an indoor Arizona pro soccer game? This is awesome Grace!”

“I’m glad you like it. I bought two for you because I thought Reagan might want to go with you.”

“Reagan hates soccer…would you want to go with me?”

“Yeah, I would. It’ll be fun.”

“Great. Don’t plan anything for February 21st because we have a date…well not a date but we’re going together…I mean…we’re.” Kennedy blushed as he tried to find the right words to say.

“I know what you mean.” I laughed. “Well, I better get going.”

“You don’t want to stay and watch the rest of ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’ with me?” Kennedy pouted.

“Fine. I’ll stay and watch it with you.” I laughed as I sat down next to Kennedy.

“Thanks again for the present, Grace.” Kennedy said as he hugged me.

“Of course, Kenny. I just wanted to do something special for you since you’re always there for me.”

“Grace, I will always be here for you whether you give me gifts or not.”

“I know. I just wanted to show you how thankful I am and how glad I am to have you in my life again.”

“I’m glad you’re in my life again too.” Kennedy smiled and then turned around to watch the movie again.

The soccer game wasn’t until February but I was already excited for it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry for not posting this earlier but school is honesty insane. I am so busy I barely have time to breathe. Anyway, I hope this chapter makes up for it. I put tons of cute Grace/John and Grace/Kennedy moments in there. I wanted to make sure I made both Team John and Team Kennedy people happy lol.

Thanks to these great people for commenting: thatswhatshesaid0, drivingbackwards, LongLive;;, mandiimouse, and young at heart.

How're you guys feeling about this story? Still Team John? Team Kennedy? Team Somebody Completely Random? or hating me because I took forever to update? No matter your feelings comment and let me know!