Status: Completed - thanks for reading!

Uncharted Territory

Resolutions

Reagan

“Look at you, all excited for our party. I thought you hated parties.” Kennedy smirked at me.

I rolled my eyes. “I’m still not a fan of parties but I’m excited to see everyone. I feel as if I haven’t seen the guys in forever. I’ve been so busy with school and you guys have been busy with band things.”

“Yeah, I’ve had to hear everyone bitch about how much they miss you. I think they like you better than me.”

“Who doesn’t?”

“Just finish setting up.” Kennedy said as he shot me a dirty look.

“Someone’s jealous.” I laughed as I walked into the other room to make sure everything breakable had been put away.

Kennedy was throwing his annual New Year’s Eve party and I was excited because this was going to be the first year I was a part of it. I had always been a fan of New Year’s Eve and spending it with my brother was going to make it even better.

I got everything put away right in time because people soon started arriving. Within fifteen minutes the party was already in full swing and our house was crowded.

“Reagan! You are looking sexy this evening. Want to know what my New Year’s Resolution is? It’s to get you to break up with Joel and date me instead.” Garrett joked as he came up and wrapped me in a hug.

“Nice try Garrett but Halvo already used that line on me.”

“What the hell? I told him I was going to say that to you and he just fucking steals it. I’m going to kill him.”

I laughed as Garrett stormed off to find Halvo.

“Garrett’s right, you are looking sexy tonight. That little boyfriend of yours is missing out.”

I turned around to see Austin Gibbs with a smirk on his face under his mustache.

I shrugged and winked at Austin as I jokingly said, “It’s fine. I already sent Joel some pictures.”

“Would you mind sending some of those pictures to me?”

“You wish, Austin.” I laughed.

“It was worth a try. So where is Joel anyway?”

“This Century is out in California recording their album. Where’s your hook-up for the night?”

Austin nodded towards a brunette in a short dress. “She’s right over there.”

“Does she know that she’s your next conquest?”

“Nope. I think I’ll go tell her right now.”

“Good luck with that.”

“No one can resist me. I think it’s the stache.” Austin laughed before walking up to the brunette and throwing his arm around her.

I rolled my eyes at Austin’s blatant attempt to get into the girl’s pants and took a sip of my champagne.

Kennedy walked past me but stopped suddenly and turned back to face me.

“Where’d you get that champagne, Rae?” He questioned me.

“This? It’s not champagne….it’s….ummm….it’s sparkling juice.”

“Reagan Elise.”

“Fine it’s champagne but it’s not really that big of a deal.”

“It is since you’re not 21.”

“I will be in a month.”

“So you can drink it in a month. Put it away until then though.”

I groaned. “Seriously, Kennedy? How many times did you drink when you were underage?”

“Well…I…uh…just because I did something doesn’t mean that you can do it.”

“Fine I’ll put it back.” I grumbled and acted as if I was walking towards the kitchen.

I looked behind my back and saw that Kennedy had walked away. I smirked and slipped outside so I could drink my champagne without getting yelled at.

“Fancy seeing you out here.” A voice said from behind me and I jumped.

“Geez John, you scared me. Why do you always seem to be outside at parties? I thought you were a party animal or something.”

“I could say the same about you. Not the party animal thing because you obviously aren’t. You always seem to be outside at parties though.”

“You didn’t answer my question.”

John chuckled and took a sip from his bottle. “I was just thinking. I came out here because it was so loud in there that I couldn’t hear my own thoughts.”

I nodded and went over to stand next to John. A cool breeze picked up and I involuntarily shivered.

John noticed. “Are you cold?”

“No, I’m fine.”

“Here take this.” John said as he took off his leather jacket and held it out to me.

“Seriously John, I’m fine.”

“Reagan, just take it.”

I rolled my eyes but gladly took it and put it over my arms. It smelled like him- cigarettes, beer, and his cologne. The smell of it comforted me.

“Kennedy told me that New Year’s is your favorite holiday. Why’s that? I mean New Year’s is a pretty random holiday to have as your favorite.” John said and I knew tonight’s round of honesty was starting.

“I like the fact that New Year’s holds so many possibilities. It’s your chance to start over, to make resolutions and try to complete them.”

“You know that 80% of resolutions never get achieved, right?”

“I know…I still like the idea of possibilities though. So what’s your favorite holiday?”

“My birthday. It’s the one day that people treat me like I’m the shit and do what I say.” John smirked.

“You would say that.”

“I’m just being honest. I want to win this fucking game.”

I laughed and John and I stood there in silence for a few minutes.

“So how many guys have hit on you tonight?”

“Oh, the usual: Garrett, Halvo, and Austin.”

John shook his head. “They don’t give up, do they? Although I don’t blame them. You’re pretty much perfect, Rae.”

“I’m far from perfect.”

“You’re close though. I mean you’re beautiful, smart, funny, and nice. Joel’s a lucky guy.”

I was glad the darkness of the night was covering up my blush. “You’re giving me way too much credit, John.”

“I’m only telling the truth. So how’s New Year’s Eve without Joel here?”

“It sucks. I didn’t tell him that though, I didn’t want him to feel bad. I’m so proud of him, Sean, Alex, and Ryan for recording their first full length album but I still wish he was here. Where’s Grace tonight, by the way?”

“Her dad’s side of the family always has their Christmas celebration on New Year’s Eve.”

“How’s New Year’s Eve without her here?”

“The same as it has been for the past three years. Let’s not talk about those two though. We haven’t hung out in a while so I want to spend time with you without talking about them. It’s Reagan and John time.” John said.

“Ok, well is it my turn to ask a question or yours?”

“It’s mine.” John said and continued. “What’s one of your favorite places?”

“Airport terminals.”

John gave me a puzzled look. “Airport terminals? I was expecting you to say your bedroom or something.”

“I like airport terminals. I love sitting there watching people get off the plane and come back home to their loved ones. Everyone’s so happy to see the people they’ve missed. It’s nice to know that people miss you when you’re gone and they’ll be waiting for you when you come back.”

John looked at me for a couple seconds before saying, “If you ever leave I won’t be at the terminal waiting for you. I’ll be on the plane to chase you down and make you come back to Arizona.”

I smiled at John and was about to respond when I heard the people inside begin counting down from ten.

“I guess it’s almost midnight.” I said as I looked at John.

The people inside got to the end of the countdown.

“Happy New Year.” John said as he slowly began leaning towards me.

“Happy New Year.” I said as I slowly began leaning in too. My brain was yelling at me to stop but my body wasn’t listening.

Our lips were almost touching when my phone suddenly rang.

John and I both jumped back as I looked down at my screen.

“It’s Joel. He’s probably calling to wish me a Happy New Year. I better take this.” I said, not looking John in the eye.

“Uh…yeah, I better call Grace.” John said before turning away and walking back towards the house.

“Hey Joel.” I put on a fake cheery voice as I answered the phone.

“Hey Rae. Happy New Year sweetheart. You didn’t give any guys a New Year’s kiss, did you?” Joel joked.

“Of course not. You’re not here.” I forced a laugh but my mind couldn’t get over the fact that I had almost kissed John, and part of me wished I had. I was in trouble.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit

Feelings on the almost kiss? Do you think Reagan and John will finally admit their feelings or will they just act like nothing happened? Let me know because I'm interested in your predictions!

Thanks to mandiimouse, LongLive;;, thatswhatshesaid0, young at heart, and drivingbackwards.