Status: Completed - thanks for reading!

Uncharted Territory

Home Again

Reagan

“Ahhh, home sweet home,” John smiled as we stepped off the plane and into Sky Harbor airport. “It feels good to be back.”

“We were only gone for five days. You’re gone for much longer periods of time when you’re on tour,” I said as I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah but being on tour is fun and happy. Having to battle your rapist in court isn’t.”

“Touché.”

John stopped short and looked at me. “You don’t sound very excited to be back home.”

John was right, I wasn’t that excited to be back home because I knew it was now just a matter of days before he and Grace were engaged. I wasn’t about to tell that to John though so instead I just shrugged and said, “I’m glad to be back and glad that everything is over; I’m just dreading the damage control I’ll have to do with Kennedy and Joel.”

“Everything will be fine, Rae, I promise.”

I smiled and nodded at John but knew his promise would be broken. Everything wasn’t going to be fine because he was still getting engaged to Grace.

I was pretty quiet while we grabbed our luggage and on the ride back to my house but thankfully John didn’t question it because he thought I was nervous about facing Kennedy for the first time since I left.

“Thanks…for everything,” I softly said once John pulled up to my house.

“Of course Rae, I’d do anything for you,” John smiled at me.

I gave him one last smile before grabbing my bag and making my way towards the house. I paused for a second outside the door so I could collect my thoughts and prepare myself for Kennedy.

I opened the door and walked into the house before I finally saw Kennedy sitting on the couch. As soon as he saw me he immediately stood up and walked over to wrap his arms around me. Once his arms were around me I began to cry; I couldn’t help myself. The past week had been so stressful and an emotional rollercoaster that I finally let go of my emotions.

“Kennedy, I’m so sorry that I didn’t tell you what happened to me. I was just worried that you would be disappointed in me,” I said, my voice muffle from being pressed against Kennedy’s chest.

“Rae, don’t be sorry…I should be the one that’s sorry. I said some awful things to you. Please know that I didn’t mean them.”

“I know. I still should have told you though.”

Kennedy pulled away slightly to look at me. “What’s done is done. All that matters now is that you won the case. John called me as soon as you won to tell me the good news.”

“So what did you do this past week while I was in Massachusetts?” I asked Kennedy as we walking into the family room and sat on the couch.

“I…uhh…I was actually in Chicago with Grace.”

“What?!”

“Yeah, her divorce was being finalized and she didn’t want to face her ex-husband alone so I went with her,” Kennedy said as he began rubbing the back of his neck, something I knew he only did when he was nervous.

“Did something happen while you were in Chicago?”

“What? No. Of course not…no, no.”

“Kennedy…” I said in a warning tone.

“Fine,” Kennedy sighed. “I kissed Grace.”

“You kissed Grace?! Like a peck or full-on make-out?”

“Umm..well… we almost slept together.”

“You almost slept with Grace?!” I exclaimed. “What did you say afterwards?”

“We decided to act like it never happened but now I’m thinking that was a mistake. I have feelings for Grace and I’m tired of hiding them from her. I need to go tell her how I really feel,” Kennedy said as he stood up.

“John’s proposing,” I blurted out. I knew just saying it like that was cruel but I had to let Kennedy know before he left and made things even more complicated.

“What?” Kennedy stopped dead in his tracks.

I sighed. “John is going to propose to Grace. He told me when we were in Massachusetts and I went with him to help pick out the ring.”

“Oh…wow…that’s…that’s great.”

“Kennedy, I’m sorry. I…”

“No it’s fine,” Kennedy cut me off. “I mean it’s always been Grace and John so I’m sure she’ll be happy. I’m just going to go upstairs and go to bed or something.”

I watched my brother walk away and knew that two hearts were being broken with John’s decision to propose.
----------


Neither Kennedy nor I got much sleep that night. I was up nearly the entire night with my thoughts and I could hear Kennedy pacing in his bedroom. I was sure Kennedy was upset about the Grace situation and kicking himself for not letting his feelings known when he had the chance.

I was thinking about what I should do about Joel. I still liked Joel and had feelings for him but couldn’t deny my feelings for John were stronger. It was pointless though because John would never be with me. I finally decided that I still wanted to be with Joel. We were good together and maybe he could help me get over John. I was just worried he wouldn’t want to be with me anymore since I hadn’t told him about my court situation.

I finally got up, threw on some clothes and tried to cover up my bloodshot eyes from the lack of sleep. I made my way into the kitchen and found Kennedy looking even worse than I did. He was just sitting there staring into his cup of coffee.

“Hey. Rough night?” I asked.

Kennedy gave a small smile and nodded. “Yeah, it was.”

“Ken, I’m so sorry that I had to be the one to tell you.”

“No, it’s fine Rae. I’m glad you told me instead of me finding out when I saw the ring on Grace’s finger. That would have been worse.”

“You’re such an awesome person, Kennedy, and you’re going to find someone awesome someday. One day you’ll find someone who will make you forget about Grace.”

“I hope so,” Kennedy sighed. “So where are you getting ready to go?”

Now it was my turn to sigh. “Joel’s house. I’m kind of nervous about facing him.”

“Rae, Joel loves you and isn’t going to let something like this break the two of you up. I’m sure he understands.”

I faked a smile at Kennedy but his words of how much Joel loved me affected me. I felt as if I wasn’t being fair to Joel but I didn’t want to hurt him. Plus I did truly like him.

I said goodbye to Kennedy and then drove over to Joel’s house with my stomach in knots the entire time.

I stood outside his door for a few minutes as I tried to gather up the nerve. I finally knocked and he opened it a few seconds later.

As soon as Joel saw me he pulled me in for a hug and kissed my forehead as he said, “I’m so sorry you had to go through that Rae.”

“Wait, you’re not mad at me?” I asked.

“Mad at you? Why would I be mad at you?”

“Because I didn’t tell you what had happened or why I was going back out east.”

“No, I’m not mad at you. I understand why you didn’t tell anybody. If something like that had happened to me I wouldn’t want to talk about it either. The only person I’m mad at is the guy that did that to you. I honestly just want to fly out east and make it so he can never touch anyone ever again.”

I shook my head. “It’s over with now. I’m just glad you’re not angry with me. I was worried you would be and would break up with me.”

“Reagan, I love you and would never break up with you for something like that.”

I smiled at Joel but the knots in my stomach didn’t go away. He was so sure of his love for me and this relationship. If only I could be as sure as him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit

Things are getting complicated and this is only the tip of the iceburg. I'd love to hear everyone's predictions on how this situation is going to be solved!

So I know I can barely handle the 2 stories I already have and shouldn't start a 3rd but I can't help it. I got this awesome idea for a Captain America story and I just have to write it. It'll be different from other things I've written and I'm excited for it. I haven't posted a chapter yet but if you guys want to go check it out and subscribe that would be awesome.

Huge thanks to deariloveyou and drivingbackwards!