Status: Completed - thanks for reading!

Uncharted Territory

Dress Shopping

Grace

“So what do you guys think?” I asked as I looked at myself in the mirror.

“Oh Gracie, you look….you look beautiful.” My mom said as she began crying.

“Mom, don’t cry.” I groaned and rolled her eyes.

“Mom did the same thing when she went dress shopping with me for my wedding,” Ashley laughed. “So is this your dress?”

“Yeah, I think it is.”

I stayed out in the front of the dress store for a little while longer while my mom gushed over me before making my way back to the dressing room. I was trying not to get annoyed with her because I knew she was just glad to be with me when I picked out my wedding dress since I had picked out my dress by myself when I married Evan but I was getting frustrated with her. I knew the real reason I was feeling frustrated though was because of my inner turmoil and not my mom’s overexcitement. I was still trying to decide if I was ready to marry John. I knew my hesitation should have given me my answer but I didn’t want to admit it.

My wedding was a little less than three months away and it seemed as if the whole town of Tempe was talking about it. Some people were saying they couldn’t believe John was marrying me just a year after I had come back home after breaking his heart while others said they weren’t surprised and knew all along we’d eventually get married.

I looked in the mirror before taking off my dress and tried to picture walking down the aisle in it but I couldn’t. As much as I tried to imagine walking down the aisle of the church towards John I just couldn’t picture it. I sighed and began taking off the dress.

I was pulling my shirt back on when I heard a knock on the door.

“Hey, it’s me,” Ashley said as she opened the dressing room door and came into the room. “Mom went up front to give them your measurements so they can get your dress ordered. She’s worried we’re cutting it close and the dress won’t show up on time.”

“Oh, I think it will be fine.”

“Mom’s a little overwhelming, huh?”

“Yeah, just a little.”

“It’s understandable though. I mean the both of us are going to be married at the same time so I think it’s hitting her that we’re both finally adults.”

“Probably.”

“What’s wrong, Grace? You’re barely talking,” Ashley finally inquired.

“Nothing, I just have a headache,” I answered.

“You’ve barely been excited this whole time. You’re getting married to the boy you’ve been in love with since you were sixteen.”

“I guess it’s just weird since this is my second wedding.”

“Or maybe it’s weird because you still don’t know for sure if you want to spend the rest of your life with John or not.”

“Ashley! Seriously, I love John. If I didn’t I wouldn’t be marrying him,” I snapped.

“Geez Grace, don’t get so mad.”

“I just think it’s really rude of you to question my feelings for John.”

“I just want to make sure you’re being honest with yourself. You’re getting pretty mad about this and I’m why you’re getting so mad if what I’m saying isn’t true.” Ashley said as she stood up and walked out of the room.

I clenched my jaw and took a few deep breaths to calm myself after Ashley’s words. Deep down I knew the reason I was mad was because I knew she was right.

I finally calmed myself and joined my mom and sister at the front of the store.

“Great news sweetie,” my mom said when she saw me. “Your dress will be here in time. Now we just need to pick out bridesmaid dresses, the cake, the flowers, get the invitations sent out, and so much more.”

“Wow, that’s a lot to do. It’s a little overwhelming,” I mumbled.

“I know it is dear but that’s what happens when you decide you want to marry quickly.”

“Yeah, Grace better marry John before she changes her mind,” Ashley muttered just loud enough for me to hear.

I glared at her but said nothing because I didn’t want to get in a fight with her in the middle of the store.

“Don’t worry Grace. The next few months will be crazy but it’ll be worth it in the end when you’re married to John,” my mom smiled.

I once again faked a smile and prayed that my mother was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's been way too long and this is a filler but don't worry, there is still a ton of twists and turns in this story. Stick with me and you'll be happy in the end (hopefully!)

Thanks to everyone that's commented!