Status: Completed - thanks for reading!

Uncharted Territory

Honesty

Reagan

When I walked into the house after my classes on Friday Kennedy was running around trying to get everything ready. He was obviously excited about the party because he was acting like a five year old after a visit to the candy store. I rolled my eyes but began helping him anyway.

After a few minutes of silence Kennedy turned to me and said, “You don’t seem very excited Rae.”

“Oh, I am. I mean it’s Friday and I am more excited than Rebecca Black.” I said sarcastically.

Kennedy laughed and said, “Well even though you’re not looking forward to this I’m glad you agreed to it and I think you’ll end up having a good time.”

“Yeah because everyone loves being the awkward girl standing in the corner.”

Kennedy hugged me and said, “If I see you standing in the corner awkwardly I will come rescue you.”

“Thanks Ken. Oh, I forgot to tell you…I invited someone from one of my classes to the party tonight.”

“Really? That’s great. Who is it?”

“Her name’s…” I started but the doorbell rang at that moment signaling that the party had begun.
___________________________________________________________________

I sighed as I walked around the party taking place at mine and Kennedy’s house. It seemed as if I was the odd person out. Everyone here knew everyone else. Kennedy had introduced me to people but I couldn’t remember their names.

“A beautiful girl like you shouldn’t be standing here alone. My name’s Eric but you can call me your next boyfriend, or Halvo, whichever you prefer.” A boy with brown hair said as he came up to stand next to me.

I laughed as I said, “Hi Halvo. I’m Reagan.”

“Shit! Nevermind.”

“Umm…okay?” I said as I gave Halvo a weird look.

“I didn’t realize you were Reagan. Kennedy warned all of us to not try anything with you. Although we could sneak to your bedroom real quick and Kennedy would never have to know.”

“I’m a bit classier than that Halvo.” I laughed.

“Oh, crash and burn.” Garrett, who happened to be walking by, said and then continued, “Don’t feel too bad Halvo. She rejected me also.”

I turned towards Garrett as I said, “I had to reject you Garrett. I knew if we started dating I’d never ever want to leave the bedroom.”

Garrett wiggled his eyebrows at me as he said, “Fine by me.”

I smirked as I said, “You wish. Well I’m going into the kitchen to get another drink. Try not to stare at my ass as I walk away.”

“Hey, it’s fine as long as I look but don’t touch!” Halvo yelled after me.

I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a diet coke I had hidden in the back of the fridge.

“A diet coke. Wow, who knew Kennedy’s sister was such a party animal?” A new voice said from behind me.

“Oh I am a hardcore partier. I’ve already been sent to rehab twice for my diet coke addiction.” I said as I turned around towards the new boy.

He laughed and stuck his hand out as he said, “Hi, I’m Joel. I’m in the band This Century.”

“Oh my gosh I love you guys.” I blurted without thinking and then instantly began blushing. “Wow, I just sounded like a complete fan nerd. Please forget about that. What I meant to say is that you guys are really good. When I was looking up my brother’s band I saw that you played a few shows with them so I listened to you guys and liked what I heard. Oh, and I’m Reagan, Kennedy’s sister.”

Joel smiled and said, “Yeah, I know.”

I blushed even more because he was incredibly cute and I had made a huge fool of myself in front of him…twice. “Oh, that’s right. You said something about me being Kennedy’s sister when you came in.”

“Did you know that you are incredibly cute when you blush?”

“Then I must be cute a lot because I blush 75% of the time. The curse of being a redhead.” I said as I rolled my eyes.

Joel was about to answer but we suddenly heard a commotion out in the other room.

I leaned my head out of the kitchen and saw John standing there yelling at someone, “What the fuck are you doing here? I want you to stay out of my life forever. You ruined my life just to make yours perfect. Well now my life is good while yours is fucked up and you’re pissed about that. The only reason you came back to Tempe was to mess up my life again. Go back to Chicago because no one wants you here…oh wait, no one wants you there either.”

John stormed off and as he walked away I saw that it was Grace he had been yelling out. Everything suddenly clicked in my head. She was originally from Tempe but was now back after leaving for a few years. John’s ex had left Tempe a few years ago after breaking his heart and she was now back. Grace was John’s ex and I had invited her to the party that John was at.

I quickly turned to Joel and said, “I’m really sorry but I think I should go…”

“Of course, that’s fine. I understand. That situation out there looks more important. Hopefully we can talk later.”

I gave Joel one last smile before hurrying out of the kitchen.

I ran over to Grace and said, “I am so sorry Grace. I had no clue.”

Kennedy came running over about that time and asked, “What are you doing here Grace?”

Grace looked up with tears in her eyes and said, “Reagan invited me. I had no clue she was your sister.”

“I had no clue that you knew these guys. I wouldn’t have asked you to come here if I had known. This must be awful for you. I am so sorry.” I said.

Grace shook her head and said, “It’s ok. You didn’t know. I think I’ll just go home though if that’s alright with you.”

“Yeah of course.”

Kennedy jumped in and said, “I’ll walk you out to your car.”

I watched Kennedy and Grace walk out and knew that I needed to do some damage control.

I had apologized to Grace but knew that I needed to apologize to John too. I had a feeling this one would be a bit harder.

I saw the glowing end of a cigarette outside and I figured it must belong to John. I opened the patio and sat down beside him.

After taking a deep breath I said, “So, I suck.”

“Really? Well you’ll make some pretty good money doing that in Tempe. I mean Garrett alone would keep you in business.”

“Wow, someone becomes a dick when they’re angry.”

John sighed and said, “You’re right. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that to you. Thanks for calling me out on my shit. Anyways, it’s not like it was your fault Grace was here.”

I grimaced and said, “Actually it kind of was.”

John just gave me a blank look so I continued, “Grace has a class with me at ASU and we’ve become friends so I invited her to the party. I had no clue that she was…you know.”

“It really isn’t your fault. Like you said, you didn’t know about mine and Grace’s past. I probably overreacted in there. I just…I can’t seem to forgive her.”

“You’ll never be able to move on and live a truly happy life until you forgive her. Hatred’s a poison.”

John and I just sat there in silence staring up at the stars for a couple minutes.

I finally broke the silence by saying, “So do you want to play a game?”

“You know when a pretty girl like you asks a guy if he wants to play a game he’s going to get the wrong idea. Unless you want me to have these dirty thoughts in my head.” John smirked.

I rolled my eyes and said, “Not that kind of game you perv. The game I’m talking about is called honesty.

John gave me a weird look but said, “Okay…how do you play?”

“Well basically you just ask questions and the person has to answer them honestly. It sounds kind of lame but it’s actually fun, in a weird way. The only rule is that you have to answer every question and you have to answer it honestly. My therapist is the one who started making me play this game and she made me answer all the questions. If there was a question I didn’t want to answer I’d have to find my way around it. We decided that you lose if your answer isn’t good or honest enough. You’ve probably never read the book The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen but the idea behind this game comes from that.”

“Wait…you have a therapist?” John asked.

“See, this is how you play the game. You just asked a question and now I’ll answer it… Yes, I have a therapist. I was going through a rough time when we moved out east and Kennedy decided to stay out here so my parents made me go to a therapist. At first I resented it but now I really like her. She’s helped me though a lot of things, good and bad. Plus the way I fix my problems is by talking about them so it’s nice to have someone who listens and talks back. I overthink things so she helps me sort my mind out. When we play the game Honesty it helps me answer questions I would otherwise keep inside and not talk about, except the game makes it more fun than a conversation or just talking.”

“So do you still have a therapist even though you moved out here?”

“Whoa, Eager McBeaver. It’s my turn to ask a question now. You only get one question per turn.”

“Did you just call me Eager McBeaver?”

I laughed and said, “Yeah, I did. I know, I know…I’m awkward, weird, and embarrassing. I’ve learned it’s easier if I just embrace it. You make it a bit easier though. I feel as if I can be myself around you and not be judged.”

John looked at me for a couple seconds and then wrapped his arm around me as he said, “I’m glad you said that because I feel the exact same way. With a lot of other people I feel as if I have to put on an act but not around you.”

I smiled at John as the butterflies went crazy in my stomach.

“So is there a rule about taking too long to ask a question because you’re taking forever. I think I should win.” John smirked.

I rolled my eyes but asked him a question. We spent the rest of the party just the two of us out on the deck asking questions.

John obviously needed someone to fix him but maybe, just maybe, I could be the one to do that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Party Outfit
This "honesty" game will be important for John and Reagan, especially in later chapters (just a small hint).
I did get the idea for the game from "The Truth About Forever" (like I mentioned in the chapter). It's one of my favorite books and I definitely recommend reading it if you haven't :)
Thanks to: young at heart and drivingbackwards!