Status: Completed - thanks for reading!

Uncharted Territory

Stay

Grace

I walked up to the Reagan’s house and took a deep breath. Everything would be fine. I mean what’s the worst that could happen?

I heard loud music coming from inside the house and figured no one would hear me if I knocked so I walked right in. The party was already in full swing so no one really noticed that I had walked in which gave me some time to look around.

In one corner was Jared, Garrett was sitting on the couch, and Pat was bouncing around. I had no clue why they were here but I desperately hoped John wasn’t with them. I kept looking around and my eyes suddenly landed on a picture. It looked as if it had been taken recently and showed Kennedy with his arm around Reagan.

Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Everything suddenly clicked. Reagan had just moved in with her brother who happened to be Kennedy. I couldn’t believe I didn’t realize it earlier. They looked like siblings. Sure, their hair wasn’t the same color but their faces looked alike. I had forgotten Kennedy changed his name so that’s why I didn’t recognize Reagan’s last name. If Kennedy was throwing this party John had to be here somewhere. I needed to leave before anyone noticed I was here. I’d just have to come up with an excuse when I saw Reagan in class.

I looked around as I quickly tried to think of an escape route.

“What the fuck are you doing here?”

Damn it. I wasn’t quick enough because John was now standing in front of me with hate burning in his eyes.

John got in my face and started yelling even more. “I want you to stay out of my life forever. You ruined my life just to make yours perfect. Well now my life is good while yours is fucked up and you’re pissed about that. The only reason you came back to Tempe was to mess up my life again. Go back to Chicago because no one wants you here…oh wait, no one wants you there either.”

I stood there speechless as I tried to hold in the tears. His words were even more hateful this time than they had been when I ran into him at the coffee shop my first day back.

John just scoffed at me and then walked off. He was pissed. I could tell just from the way he was walking.

The entire room was staring at me thanks to the scene John had just caused. If people didn’t yet know I was back in Tempe they now did.

Reagan suddenly came running up to me and said, “I am so sorry Grace. I had no clue.”

Then Kennedy came running over and asked, “What are you doing here Grace?”

I looked up at Kennedy and softly said, “Reagan invited me. I had no clue she was your sister.”

“I had no clue that you knew these guys. I wouldn’t have asked you to come here if I had known. This must be awful for you. I am so sorry.” Reagan said.

I could tell she felt bad but it really wasn’t her fault. She didn’t realize that I was “the bitch who broke John O’Callaghan’s heart” just like I hadn’t realized she was Kennedy’s sister.

I shook my head and said, “It’s ok. You didn’t know. I think I’ll just go home though if that’s alright with you.”

“Yeah of course.”

Kennedy jumped in and said, “I’ll walk you out to your car.”

I said goodbye to Reagan and then walked outside with Kennedy following close behind.

“I swear I have the worst luck. It must have something to do with Tempe.” I said as I shook my head.

Kennedy looked at me with concern and said, “I’m so sorry about this Grace. Reagan told me she was inviting someone but didn’t tell me who. I wish I had known it was you so I could have stopped this from happening. I should have protected you.”

“Kennedy, it’s not your fault. It’s no one’s fault. It’s just a really bad coincidence. I’m going to get out of here though before John comes outside and decides to yell at me some more.”

“Do you want to go get ice cream or something?” Kennedy quickly asked.

“Shouldn’t you go back into the party since you are the host?”

“Reagan can handle it. I think ice cream sounds really good and we haven’t had a chance to talk that much since you’ve been back.”

I smiled and said, “Ice cream sounds great. I’ll drive.”

We got into my car and I began driving as Kennedy began going through my CDs trying to decide what we should listen to.

“I can’t believe you actually still have this.” Kennedy said as he held up a CD.

I looked over and smiled as I saw he was holding up a Last Call for Camden CD. “Of course I do. It’s good. Put it in.”

“I’m not putting that in. It’s embarrassing.”

“Why? I love your voice. I mean John’s is obviously good too but there’s just something about yours. You should sing more.”

Kennedy shrugged and said, “I like playing guitar better.”

“It’s funny how things work out. I mean you’re with The Maine now and the Gomez’s and Jess are in The Summer Set. I always thought that you and Jess should date. You guys would have made a cute couple.”

As soon as I thought about Kennedy and Jess together I got a weird feeling in my stomach but quickly shook it away.

“I liked someone else in high school.”

I looked at Kennedy with surprise and said, “Really? Why didn’t you date her?”

Kennedy kept staring out the window as he said, “She was with someone else.”

“Well she has no clue what she was missing. You’re amazing Ken. You really are.”

Kennedy and I had pulled up to the ice cream place by this time so we got out and walked up to the window to place our orders. Even though I protested, Kennedy paid for mine. He said it was to make up for what had happened at the party.

We walked over to a table and sat down. I smiled at the kids in the park across the street playing soccer by the lamplight since it was dark out.

I nodded towards the kids and asked, “Does Mr. Soccer Star still have those types of moves?”

Kennedy laughed and said, “I haven’t played soccer in forever. What about you Miss Volleyball Star?”

“I haven’t played since moving to Chicago. I pretty much gave up everything that reminded me of Tempe once my plane landed in Chicago. Quitting the ASU volleyball team was tough. Leaving you guys was tougher though.”

“Why’d you do it Grace?”

I knew that we were no longer talking about volleyball. Instead Kennedy was asking why I made the decision to leave Tempe and go to Chicago. Why I made the decision to backstab some of the people closest to me.

I sighed and said, “I was scared. Being a musician isn’t the most stable profession yet John chose it anyway. I wanted to feel protected and like I’d never have to worry about money or bills or anything like that. John couldn’t promise me that. I was used to growing up in a wealthy family and the thought of having to live paycheck to paycheck because John wanted to be in a band freaked me out so I…”

I stopped, not wanting to relive my decision. Kennedy already knew what I had done so it wasn’t like he needed to hear it.

Kennedy noticed my distress and quickly wrapped his arms around me. “I’m sorry, Grace. I shouldn’t have asked that.”

“No, it’s fine. I’m actually glad you asked me why I did it. Everyone else just hears what I did and they assume that I’m some kind of gold-digging whore. I was honestly just scared and confused. That doesn’t make up for what I did though. I regret my decision all the time, even more so now that I’m back in Tempe. I’m starting to think that I should move away since so many people obviously don’t want me here. The main reason I’m still here is because of Ashley and the baby. I’ve let down so many people in my life but I’m not going to let down my nephew. I’m going to be there for him.”

Kennedy lightly touched my chin to pull my face towards his so he could look me in the eyes. “Please don’t leave again. I really missed you these past three years and I’m so glad you’re back. If you start feeling sad or lonely and are thinking about leaving just call me. I’ll come over and help you. I promise I’ll do whatever I can to help. I just don’t want you to leave again.”

I smiled at Kennedy’s sweetness and said, “Thanks Ken. Right now you’re the other reason I’m staying in Tempe.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit
So I gave you guys a couple hints on what Grace did...any guesses? You guys will find out what she did in a couple chapters. 2, maybe? Or 3, but probably 2.

Is anyone else annoyed with how oblivious Grace is to Kennedy's crush on her? lol

Huge thanks to: becohhh., young at heart, thatswhatshesaid0, and drvingbackwards.

Last but not least...I wrote a John O 2 shot for a contest and it'd be awesome if you clicked here and checked that out also :)