‹ Prequel: Forever

Light in the Dark

1,402

You know those days when you feel like complete and utter shit? Yeah, well this is one of those days. It’s a day when the world has eaten me and spit me back up only to eat me again. And in the end all that’s left is a pile of crap. Disgusting, yet true. This was definitely not a good day.

First Tommy was sick and he had to stay home while I was forced to go to school. Then some guys at school decided to pick on me because I’m a tiny gay guy. Big whoop! Of course, I had no one to protect me seeing as my personal bodyguard was out today. And then in first period I had to take this really hard test on I don’t even know what; I definitely failed that…

It was only third period and I was just about ready to kill myself. I mean really, can’t I just get a break? At least third period was relatively calm other than having random things thrown at me. I thought these people were over the fact I was gay…

“McKenzie Michaels please come down to the office now!” the loudspeaker screamed.

I flinched at the use of my real name, which I absolutely hated. Kenzie just sounds so much better then McKenzie. And why would you put a double M mom and dad? Why?! And then my middle name, which is Mason, makes it triple M! I have such mean, mean parents. McKenzie Mason Michaels…that doesn’t even sound attractive.

“Kenzie? Are you going to go?” the teacher asked me.

I stuck my tongue out at her as I stood to go to the office. My hands were shaking slightly since I never get called to the office, but it’s not my fault I’m a goody two shoes!

Skipping out the classroom I bumped into the door.

“Stupid clumsy self! You must learn to skip and walk straight. Although it makes sense that you can’t because you’re not straight,” I giggled to myself, but then ceased realizing where I was skipping to.

I looked at the receptionist once reaching the office, not knowing what to do. The last time I had been in trouble was in first grade when I pulled a girl’s hair and called her a mean name I dare not repeat. I didn’t know what it meant at the time! It wasn’t my fault…And when that happened my mommy brought me to the office and so I didn’t really have to do much. It’s really annoying to have your mom as a teacher…

“You can go right in,” she said with a smile, nodding at the door.

I thought they were supposed to be mean! Maybe it was because it was my first time here, or maybe I’m just lovable. Yeah, I think it’s that. It’s not like I asked to look adorable, but it sure comes in handy.

“Oh McKenzie, take a seat.”

I glanced around the room and saw the three boys who were picking on me this morning on different sides of the room. I took the one empty seat left. Were they actually going to punish them? That seemed kind of surprising…

“I heard that you were picking a fight with these three boys. Is that true?”

“No! They were picking on me and I was trying to get them to stop!” I yelled.

It probably wasn’t helping my situation and it would’ve been better if I remained calm. Maybe then he would’ve believed me.

“Regardless, all four of you are suspended for three days.”

“But I have to keep up with my schoolwork! I just failed a huge test and I need to make up for it!”

“Well you should have thought of that before picking a fight. Now get out of my office and wait for your parents to pick you up. I’ve already called them.”

Oh great…my mom’s going to be pissed. And it’s all because of this butt hole teacher! I don’t see why I should be punished for being bullied, but he suspended the other three too so it’s not as if he was being unfair…Well it was unfair! Seeing as I did nothing wrong. And now my Tommy-Time is limited because he has to go to school while I sit at home and do nothing…

It took my mom a total of three hours to come pick me up and school was almost over already. What made it worse was that everyone who came into the office smirked at me and gave me the devil’s smile. I swear they all had ulterior motives.

Finally she made it but she looked completely furious.

I can’t believe that she’s mad at me for getting picked on! Well…I haven’t explained that part yet…but she’ll still be mad at me. She’ll probably think I provoked them, but come on…I am not that stupid.

“McKenzie why do you insist on being so stupid and getting yourself into fights. I’m glad Tommy’s here to keep you in line even if I don’t like you being gay.”

I flinched when she said my real name.

“Mom, I’ve asked you to call me Kenzie, will you please do it?”

She gave me a dirty look.

“I named you McKenzie and that’s what I intend to call you.”

I growled a low snarl that she barely heard, but I could tell she did when she gave me the same look as before.

“I wouldn’t ask you to call me Kenzie if McKenzie wasn’t such an ugly girly name. If I were a girl I’d understand anyway.”

“Don’t you want to be a girl anyway? That’s why you like guys right?”

“Ugh. Mom you’re so ignorant. If you don’t know what you’re talking about don’t say it…please,” I tagged on at the end. I felt too rude without it. My mommy might not be the nicest but she raised me right.

“Don’t you dare call your mother ignorant! I came all the way from my job, rushing through my interview, to pick you up. If you’re going to be ungrateful you can walk the rest of the way home.”

My eyes widened as she slowed the car and then stopped altogether on the side of the road. The walk home was about two miles from here, which wasn’t too bad, and mom did have to get back to work…

“Thanks for bringing me this far then,” I said as I climbed out of her silver car.

She looked slightly shocked at my words, almost as if she expected me to be angry. I was never angry, although slightly sad would cover it pretty well.

Then after I had walked about half a mile it started pouring and it wasn’t the good warm kind of rain like the night me and Tommy got together. No, it was the cold rain that makes you want to burrow yourself into a blanket and drink hot chocolate.

When I got home I decided to make some soup for Tommy, seeing as he wasn’t feeling well. I’m just that good of a boyfriend. Tomato was both of our favorites so I pulled out a can and started to heat it up as I plugged in my ear buds. Then I poured it into the bowl and set the remains to the side.

My favorite song came on and I started wiggling around and shaking it. But of course my elbow just had to bump into the leftover soup and spill it all over the floor. It was just a tiny spill but it was enough to send me over the edge. Today was just a horrible day over all and that was the limit.

Tears started to sting at my eyes and I bit my tongue to hold them back. All I wanted was Tommy. I grabbed the remaining soup, not bothering to clean up the mess and hurried to Tommy’s house. I could care less how much trouble I got into when I returned home; I just needed my love.

“Tommy!” I called as I burst through the door.

“Kenzie?” he glanced at me and a huge grin spread across his face, “You made me soup!”

And that smile was enough to make my horrible day be lifted slightly. Even on the darkest of the days, as long as I had Tommy, there was some light left.
♠ ♠ ♠
I couldn't resist...I had to make a sequel. Hoped you liked it. :D