Status: Working on it.

Happy 125th Hunger Games!

District Six Reaping : Cassia Velocity

What to wear, what to wear, what to wear to this God awful event! I angrily snorted and paced around the room looking at my two choices. A raggedy dress or a raggedy dress? What a tough choice. I grimaced at the limited selection I had when I heard my mother shout up to me from what was bound to be the kitchen while she was hastily preparing some semblance of food, even though I wouldn’t be able to stomach anything from all the nerves.
“Get up, today’s an important day!”
Why would she think it’s so important? Maybe because she doesn’t like having any more mouths to feed then her own. She either gets rich if I'm chosen and win, or slightly less poor if I die. How tough for her, seeing as how it wouldn't affect her emotionally if I was another one of the victims of the Games.

I decide on raggedy dress number two, it was originally white and has now been reduced to a dark gray: I can't help but think, with more than a bit of dismay that it is the color of soot that has been sitting in an empty fireplace for longer than anyone can remember.
I raced down the stairs before she could really get infuriated by my lack of reply to her and she looked me over disapprovingly, I knew she was scrutinizing every last detail.

“Why’d you pick that one?” she said in her raspy yet shrill voice. I scoffed and answered,
“I had a choice between ugly and uglier, I think I made the semi-acceptable decision.” I snapped angrily, mad that she would criticize me today of all days. I shook my head with disdain.
“Well, I guess it’ll have to do,” she huffs and does that little waddle walk of hers back to where she is finishing some various “delicacies” for our early lunch. And by delicacies I mean the bare minimum my mother could scrape together given our limited supply of funds ever since my father died. When she sets the plate in front of me I eat some of what I would describe as glop. Warm hot glop for breakfast lunch and dinner. But, I’m grateful for every bite because without it, I would most likely be dead.

I finished, thanked my mother who in return just grimaced instead of smiling and I released a small sigh. I told her to hurry to the reaping and exited through the door, only to find my best friend Fray there, waiting with some sort of bread. I smile warmly and accept it, knowing that it would probably cost him, hunger wise or other. We talked about the new rules the Peacekeepers were enforcing and other various things but I couldn’t seem to shake the feeling that he was hiding something from me. I let it slide, for now.
We went out separate ways, and once I arrived at the 15s section I decided to loosen the bun I had twisted because it seemed to be ripping the hair strands straight from my scalp. I felt a bit more comfortable and settled in while the Treaty of Treason was recited . Once our new district escort was on the stage I could tell why she had been sent to our district. In the minds of the Capitol we were not that important. Not as important as some of the others at least. She was young and inexperienced, but it was a refreshing change from our old escort. I wonder what had happened to him. I was sidetracked from that train of thought by something unexpected happening. A volunteer? Well maybe these games will be more interesting this year

. I watch as a severely disgruntled boy from the 17s hurries up to the stage, nearly tripping twice. I’m somewhat relieved he did this, I didn’t know the boy he saved, but he was 12 and that just doesn’t seem fair to me. Next it was time for the girls. I sucked in a deep breath and it seemed like hours before she picked the person. Oh gosh, thank God. It’s not me. I feel bad for this Cassia girl, good luck to her.
Oh.
“Cassia Velocity?” the escort repeats, seeming downright insulted that she has to ask twice. I cleared my thoughts and walked at an even pace up the stairs, trying to pull off some kind of angle. Mysterious? Possibly, if I could get away with it. All semblance of a plan faded away as I mumbled something barely comprehensible into the microphone and a weak applause works its way through the crowd. I smiled at the escort and sat down next to my companion, sucking in a smile as I prepared for the largest and last adventure of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please keep reading and subscribe. Plus, I would love some one who commented, it would make my day haha.