Status: Working on it.

Happy 125th Hunger Games!

District One Reaping : Storm Wright

My eyes flashed open, and I could still recall a vivid scene of me and a woman with no face battling in a cloudy fog from one of the last moments of my dream, and I rolled out of bed, not knowing whether to brush it off or take it to mean something. I decided to forget it. Today is special… but why? I look up and see the calendar. Today is reaping day. I grinned to myself knowing that today was the day I would volunteer. Crowds would cheer my name and I would be showered with riches courtesy of the Capitol. What could be better than that? I walked over to my closet and pulled out some nice black slacks and a white dress shirt and vest. Gotta’ look sharp when I volunteer. I quickly changed , went to the mirror and examined the reflection, smoothing my blonde hair down. It was fairly short so I didn’t have to do much to it, however I still fussed with it some more, trying to set it right, as your initial appearance to the public is very important. Unsatisfied, but fed up, I jogged downstairs to my mom who was in the kitchen finishing up a meal there, hopefully something good because I didn't expect to be back for a few weeks and a nice parting meal would be the least she could do.

“Hey mom,” I told her, and hugged her quickly, snatching up a piece of extra bread from the basket behind her even though there was plenty on my plate. Can't hurt to get a little extra energy.

I glanced at my dad sitting solitarily at the table and walked over, sitting down across from him. He looked up and asked,

“You volunteering today Storm? I know you’ve always wanted to uphold the family legacy.” He smiled at me, slightly warily but this too I decided to overlook. My grandfather had won but my father had never gotten the chance. My father had always wanted me to win for him. I wanted to make him proud and now was my chance.

“Yeah dad. I’ve got this in the bag.”I said with radiating confidence that would hopefully reassure my hesitant mother.

“Atta boy.” He said smiling at me. My mom came over and kissed my dad on the forehead. She rested her hand on my shoulder and asked,

“Are you sure you want to do this Storm, you could die out there?” She had a worried expression on her face, but it was pointless, she should know that I'm well prepared for this. In fact, her hesitancy bordered on insulting. I straightened my shoulders.

“I could die, if I wasn’t me. Strong, fast, flexible, handy with all weapons. I’m going to win this, without a doubt in my mind.” She just looked at me for a momen,t sighed and turned back to the sink. I shoveled down my breakfast that was anything but scarce. We were not poor by any means. Just another luxury that comes with living in District 1. I kissed my mom on the cheek, hugged my dad and left the house to meet up with a few of the guys. Soon enough it was time for the reaping and I went over to stand in the 18s section. The Treaty of Treason started and everyone shifted where they stood. I looked out towards the crowd and spotted my dad who gave me a thumbs up. I grinned. Before I knew it, our district escort, Twilly Twimbleton was on stage.
“ Today, I think we should start with boys first to stir things up a bit.” Her turquoise skin and bright orange hair was disturbing, not to mention the silver spandex suit she was wearing. She was a bit of a freak, even being fairly used to the eccentric styles of the Capitol. I knew I would have to get used to this sort of style on an everyday basis now that I was to be frequenting the Capitol.
She dug her hand into the reaping ball, pulled out a name and said “Kev-“

“I volunteer!” I heard someone shout just a millisecond before I did. No that was supposed to be me! I saw the shmuck start towards Twilly and I made my way over quickly and shoved him back with my elbow. His eyes widened at me and his look of relief turned very puzzled. Before he could react, I punched him straight in the nose, then with a sweeping gesture, I wiped my hand on my vest and went down to the stage where Twilly stood there unable, or unwilling to hide the look of shock on her face. I smiled and after a few moments she asked me what my name was. I stepped up to the microphone and said,
“My name is Storm Wright and that’s a name you won’t want to forget.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Not my best, please just read the following ones and see if you like it, thanks.