Status: Working on it.

Happy 125th Hunger Games!

District Three Reaping: Dominic Lasko

“Get up! Get up, get up, get up, get UP silly head!” My sister squealed and then vanished from the room. Ugh, I’m too tired… Five more minutes of sleep... Suddenly I snap awake remembering that today was reaping day. I shook my head so that my hair would get out of my face and walked to the bathroom. I looked into the mirror above the sink seeing a fairly skinny boy, about 5 feet 7 with dark brown hair that fell to his eyes. He was pretty muscular from working at the factories and doing all the house work since there was no other man in the house to do it. I turned on the faucet and splashed some water into my face and it helped to wake me up a little.

Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I walked back to my room and proceeded to get dressed. Left leg in, right leg in, pull up, button. Left arm in, right arm in, button, button, button, button. I did this in the mornings as sort of a focusing activity. I have what used to be called AD/HD, now people just think I am immature. Whatever.

I go to the mirror again and look at the clothes that were my father’s before he died in a factory explosion. My mother had been devastated and I was too young to know what was happening. My sister hadn’t even been born yet. Being pregnant and still managing to work and keep our family working, I was really proud of my mom. She always tried to stay happy, even when life wasn’t so great.

I smoothed down the black jeans and brushed some lint off of the yellow shirt. Why am I wearing such a cheery color to such an awful event? I glanced out the window and noticed a squirrel eating a nut. I envied the squirrel. It could just run free whenever it wanted too. It didn’t have to suffer reapings or poverty. It just, lived. Lucky bastard.

“Dominniiiiccccccc! The reaping starts in five minutessssss!” My sister screeched. Oh, I’ve taken a little too long to get ready. I scrambled out of the bathroom and ran into my bedroom throwing on my dad’s dress shoes which were way too big for my feet. No time to bother with that now. I sprinted to the kitchen, almost tripping because of the shoes and grabbed the apple that my mom had set on the counter for me.

“Bye mom, see you later!” I yelled as I slammed the door to the house. They would be leaving shortly as well but neither of them was eligible to be in the Games and they didn’t need to be there quite as early. Just me. I booked it to the town square and when I finally made it the Mayor had just started reading the Treaty of Treason. I sighed with relief and made my way to an empty spot in the 14s section.

Once the Mayor was done our district escort Frilly Campbell decided to go with girls first. She rifled through the papers and emerged with a name. Alice Johnson. For a while no one emerged. Then, I saw a girl from the 13s section walk forward like she was in a trance. You could tell she was dumbfounded and holding back tears. I pitied her.

Then it was time for the boys. She cheerily skipped over to the boys reaping ball and gave the audience a huge grin before she stuck her hand in and pulled out a name. She unraveled the little paper and read with a clear voice,

“Dominic Lasko. Come on up.” She smiled and gestured to the boys section. I gulped and walked nervously to the stage. Was this really happening? I saw a pretty little flower off in the distance and smiled. I used this smile to use as leverage with the Capitol. Who cares if I lie to them? I’ll be dead soon anyways.

When I approached Frilly she handed me the microphone. I took a deep breath and put on a smile.

“I have always wanted to be in the Hunger Games. Now the games are really beginning!” I said with fake optimism. Frilly seemed satisfied and there were a few claps and cheers from the audience. I walked over to where Alice was standing and she looked like a frightened baby cardinal. When we were asked to shake hands I squeezed her hand tightly and smiled at her. I leaned in and whispered, “Don’t be afraid. I’ve got your back.” She smiled at me a genuine smile and nodded.

"Here we have it! Our two tributes from District Three! May the odds ever be in your favor!" Frilly said with a smile, then we were taken off to our waiting rooms.
What have I done.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoy it! Please continue reading and forgive any mistakes I have made. Also, please comment and subscribeeee! If you have read this far, you are amazing. =] xox