E.D.E.N

Chapter One: "Breaking & Entering

LOCATION: Octanus System, aboard Mercenary ship “UNKNOWN IDENTIFICATION”
TIME: 2:27 AM
DATE: 22nd of July, 2834.AD

The blacked out ship glided through the quiet emptiness of space. No sound. No lights. They were going in dark, a stealth move performed by all mercenaries. Of course, not all mercenary ships had the technology of having signal blocking systems installed on their ships. They could still be picked up on the Solariis’s tracking beacons. But they had other plans. Mostly all Federal Alliance ships had technology to be able to scan for life forms within other ships, meaning that the Solariis could pick up their heat signatures.
“Okay, in about one minute we will be in full range of their beacon scanners. They will ask for our identification tag. On this moment I want you all to be ready to make the jump.” Kane cocked his battle 9R rifle, it clicked into position. He looked at his team. They were ready and able. Stern hard looks on the faces told Kane that they were determined to complete their mission. After all, this entire mission was paying them at least 4.5 million credits each.
“Sir, exactly how much do we know about our target of interest?” A younger looking mercenary stood forward, grasping the holding bar with his other hand.
“All you need to know is that our mission is to retrieve prisoner 80125 also known has Eden. She is a high priority package. Whatever stories, news or rumors you have heard about her, ignore them. If you have a problem with this mission then I suggest you keep it to yourself.” But Kane knew everything about Eden. If his team knew the specific details then there was a chance half would back out. But the payment seemed to help them stay. The young mercenary swallowed hard and stood back with his other team mates. Kirk stepped forth and approached Kane who was prepping is gear. His build was a little larger then Kane’s.
“It’s a lot of money for one target, sir.” Kirk said softly to Kane, so as the others could not hear their conversation. His voice was deep and low. Kane turned and faced Kirk, he continued.
“I mean this has to be above a high value target. 4.5 million credit’s each? Why is this girl worth so much to the organization?” Kane gave a slight chuckle.
“I knew one of you would question this mission. And how did I know it would be you?” Kirk stood straight, his eyes locked on Kane’s. Kane ushered Kirk over away from the other merc’s, leading him into a small corridor.
“So you want to know what you’re getting yourself into.” Kane said with a stern, hard look. Kirk began to feel considerably uncomfortable.
“Of course…” Kirk said bluntly.
“We’re being sent in under strict orders to retrieve Eden, and deliver her back to her rightful place, which is within the arms of the Organization.” Kirk looked at Kane with his cold eyes. Kane continued.
“Eden is not exactly a human…she is an experimental weapon designed to be the ultimate killing machine. She is an android, but with unbelievable intelligence and strength. She’s under warrant by the Federal Alliance to be exterminated…killed.”
“What exactly happened? Kirk said in wonderment.
“I don’t really know, I was never told. But apparently she was working with a group of assassin’s on a mission and she went a little crazy, ended up killing them all, plus the target. She was arrested and captured and put under lockdown. Category 10, I believe.”
“Why does the organization want her back?” Kane held his fingers to his ear piece; the pilot notified him that they were in range of the Solariis’s tracking beacons. Kane acknowledged and took one final look and Kirk.
“Because she’s a defective product, they don’t want her to become a diplomatic problem. The Federal Alliance wasn’t meant to know about her. She’s only a prototype.” Kane patted Kirk on the soldier and briskly walked back into the main cargo area, where the rest of his mercenaries waited. He stood on top of a small crate and addressed his men. Kirk stood in the corridor’s entrance.
“Okay we are now in the Solariis’s beacon range. I’m going to quickly go over the mission. Our primary objective is to break into deck A, we will then proceed and make our way into the containment chamber…” A holographic image of the Solariis’s blueprints projected itself from the roof of the ship. The room was filled with a blue light, casting harsh shadows onto the men’s faces. Eden was located on the top deck of the Solariis.
“Our secondary objective is to destroy the Solariis’s security network. Otherwise we will be torn apart by their sentry gun and bots. That’s why I am splitting you into two teams. Team Alpha will hit A deck and infiltrate the containment chamber. Team Bravo will focus on shutting down the security systems. Kirk you will be in charge of that. I will focus on the containment chamber. Once you have completed your objectives, rendezvous at lifeboat deck 3. Stay on com channel 2” Kane spit his team up. A voice over the com channel then spoke.
“It’s time to jump! There hailing for our I.D tag and docking serial!” It was the pilot.
“You head him, let’s make the jump!” Kane and his team of mercenaries all put on their oxygen helmets and jet propulsion packs. His entire team where now ready. The pilot counted down the jump.
“Jump clearance granted…three…two, one. Jump! Good luck boys, see you planet side.”
And that moment, the ships airlock chamber closed, and the exterior door opened. Team Bravo went out first. They were violently sucked from the chamber. They then balanced the sense of gravity and glided silently to the Solariis, activating their jet packs they shot across the black velvet of space and headed for the docking bay. Kane and his team were now next out of the airlock. The young, but nervous mercenary that questioned Kane about the mission leant on the smooth wall of the airlock chamber. His breathing was abnormal and he was sweating profusely. Kane looked at him and got his attention.
“Hey.” The young mercenary alerted his attention to Kane. He only looked the age of eighteen.
“Kid, slow your breathing. When that door opens just let it take you. When I say activate your thrusters do it. She’ll guide you in.” His breathing caused his helmet to fog with condensation. He nodded and closed his eyes, trying to control his breathing. Kane felt a sudden responsibility over the young boy.
“Okay Kane, I gotta let you go now, there activating their weapons.” The pilot’s voice crackled over Kane’s headset.
“Rodger that Jenkins, drop us when ready.” Five seconds after, the airlock door quickly opened. And before they knew it they were all sucked out into the dark abyss.
Kane ordered his team to activate thrusters. They glided up the side of the huge vessel, dodging antennae and foreign objects that protruded from the uneven surface of the ship. They made it to a ventilation shaft just three stories from deck A. They each made their way into the deep horizontal, but small artificial tunnel. They were in. There was no turning back now. Eden was there’s for the taking. The only problem that was left now was getting past the thousands of security personnel. But Kane had already run over the mission in his head a thousand times over.
But he also knew that things can always go unplanned, and anything can become unpredictable.