Sequel: Innocent
Status: Done!

I'd Lie

Chapter 11

Image

This was it. I slowly walked into Nick's room, closing the door behind me. Yes, I did let a tear fall. Sitting on the bed, I could smell him. I had been in his room a couple of times after he left. Well, maybe more like a million. I slept in it once in a while. It didn't help me get rid of the memories of him, but I did it anyway. God, I missed him. I took in another good whiff of the aroma, but stopped when I heard a knock at the door.

"Come in."

Dani walked through the threshold. "Hey, sweetie," she said, closing the door. "How are you taking this?"

"Somewhat better than I thought," I sighed and sniffled.

"It's okay," she said and rubbed my back. "Well, what do we need to do?"

"Well," I said, standing up, "Denise wants us to decorate. She never said how. Kevin said about pictures. Maybe some flowers, too."

"That sounds good. How about we go look for pictures?"

"Okay."

Dani and I walked into a storage closet where they kept a lot -and I mean A LOT- of pictures. Dani picked the box that was labeled "Family Photos" and took it back to the room. I then searched for Nick's box of photos. I scrummaged through the boxes and soon found it. I raced back to Nick's room and flopped down on the bed. Dani had picked a few out already.

"Here's some that I thought you might like," she said and got up. "I'm gonna go get some flowers. Be right back!"

"Okie doke!"

Dani left and I opened Nick's box. With a big gulp of air, I pulled out the first picture.

A tear slowly slid down my cheek. Don't cry, I told myself.

It just had to be Nick and I, huh? It was from 10 years ago at the beach. Nick and I had just took a huge tumble through the waves.

10 years ago

Nick and I were just leaning on our boogie boards talking, and, all of a sudden, there was this huge wave. My mouth became full of salty water and my head collided with the sandy floor. When I came up, Nick was starring at me with big eyes.

"I hit my head off the bottom when we went through!" I rubbed my head.

"I'll make it better," Nick smiled, swimming over to me. I felt his lips touch my salty (probably sandy) hair. He backed away with a smile.

"Thank you, Nicky!" I smiled and hugged him.

The moment was picture perfect, of course. Nick's lips on my head. He was so sweet.
Always knowing how to cheer me up. I sniffled. I must have been looking at the picture for awhile because Dani stood in the doorway.

"Back already? I wiped my tears.

She walked over to me and sat on the bed. Her eyes told me that she was hurt seeing me like this.

"Here." She handed me a bouquet of roses. "Your and Nick's favorite."

I smiled and hugged her. "Thank you, Dani."

"You're welcome," she responded, picking a picture out of Nick's box. "Use this one, too. I'm gonna go get some frames."

She left and I was left with the fragment of memory that I had left of one of the worst -but greatest- memory of Nick.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you haven't noticed, the bold was Maddie's memory/flashback.
Please check out Author's Notes before reading the chapters for now on!
Greatly appreciated!