For You

Azalia

December 20th, 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
11:25 AM
Azalia

Finals finally ended for the semester and through out of all the bullshit I endured this semester, I made the deans list. People finally stopped asking about the situation after my visit with Amelia that one-day, and my visits with Amelia were not as often as they used to be. I kept in contact with Marty and his mother, who were honestly the sweetest people to walk the face of the planet.

It was the holiday break now, Maria was almost done with school for the rest of her life, Joe was on winter break, and Makayla was home from Dayton. As far as I knew, we were staying in Chicago for the holiday. I was highly okay with this, for the most part, but part of me did want to go and see Jordan, who I wasn’t sure if he made progress or not, because no one tells me anything, only because they don’t want to upset me.

I walk downstairs to the smell of my mother and Makayla baking Christmas cookies in the kitchen. Our house literally looked like a winter wonderland, with lights all over the place outside that airplanes could probably mistake our driveway for O’hares runway. The inside was just as ridiculous, with decorations everywhere, our tree was standing high and mighty in the foyer, and nutcrackers surrounded each step on our staircase. Not to mention Makyla and my mother have been going on a huge baking spree the past few days since she’s been home. “Morning sunshine,” Makayla smiles at me.

“Hi,” I say, heading straight for the coffee pot. “It smells good.”
“We’re making vanilla almond biscotti.”
“I would love one for my coffee but I don’t think that’ll happen,” I reply, sitting down at the table.
“How are you feeling today?” my mom asks.
“Okay…why?”
“Well…there is a surprise for you under the tree.”
“Okay…Christmas isn’t until Sunday.”
“Yeah, but you’re getting a gift early, it’s the big box by the tree.”
“There’s a big box by the tree?”
“What are you blind?” Makayla asks.

I get up and finally see the big box wrapped in snowmen wrapping paper by the tree. I wasn’t sure how I missed it on my way downstairs, but I began to have a small anxiety attack as I came up to the box. Part of me thought it’d be Jordan in the box, apart of me had a feeling that wouldn’t be the case. “You can open it you know,” my mom tells me.
“It’s not a bomb or anything, right?”
“You’re stupid, you know that right?”
“Okay, I’ll open it.”

I kneel down to the box and began to rip the paper off. I then throw the paper to the side to see it was a UPS box with a card tapped to it. I grab the card and look at my mother, who is giving me this look that was translating to read the damn card. “Merry Christmas Azalia! Hope this makes you smile a bit!” I read before looking over at my mother. “What the hell is this and who is it from?”

“Just open the damn box!” Makayla yells.

I put the card on the floor and begin to rip the tape off as a rush of anxiety came through me. I open the flaps to see a bunch of foam on the top. I look at my box then at my mom. “Mom, can you come lift—“

“BAZINGA PUNK!”

I scream at the top of my lungs before falling backwards on my ass. I look to see Jared flying out of the box before I begin to laugh. Only Jared Staal would come up with this brilliant plan to bring himself to my house when he has a game in Chicago. I get up and jump onto my best friend, as my laughter turns into tears of joy and laughter. “You asshole!” I cry.

“But you love this asshole.”
“And you would yell ‘bazinga’ at me!”

Jared and I pull away from each other after a few moments. I look at him, realizing I haven’t seen him since I was last in the hospital. In fact, I haven’t seen anyone for that matter, so seeing him was weird. He hadn’t changed; he was still the six foot four red head who towered ever me. “Did you loose weight?” He asked me.

“Maybe, I’m not sure,” I reply as the four of us walk into the kitchen and sit at the table.
“Jared, do you want coffee?” My mom offers.
“Just alittle,” he begins before looking at me. “How have you been?”
“I’ve been better,” I tell him, which was the truth.
“Good, that’s what I like to here.”
“How’s Jordan?”

I couldn’t believe those words flew out of my mouth. He doesn’t say anything as he looks into the cup of coffee my mother has just put down for him. He doesn’t know either and at this point, he doesn’t want to know. “I know by your facial expression Jared, it’s okay…I’m accepting it.”

“That he might not wake up?”
“Yeah.”
“Azalia, I sorry for all of this…we want to make it up to you.”
“You don’t have to Jare, really. What happened happened, we couldn’t prevent it, I’ve accepted it happened, and I’m okay with that.”
“Well…I know you’re not going to want to go…but there is a game Christmas in Pittsburgh.”
“You know that is just going to make me upset right?”
“I know, but Jordan would want you to go, even if he isn’t on the ice.”

Jordan would want that, I know he would. I sighed, Christmas was going to suck regardless any how, so my family might as well try and make it enjoyable. “So mom, I take it we’re going to Pittsburgh?” I ask her.

“We leave tomorrow Friday morning,” my mom smiles. “We’re spending Christmas with the Staals.”

I sighed; part of me really didn’t want to go, only because Jordan wouldn’t be there. However, they really wanted us there, so it was typical of my mother to agree for all of us to go. I finally bring my face to Jared’s and smile. “Well…I guess your crazy ass is going to come help me pack.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Musical Inspiration -- there honestly wasn't any for this chapter

enjoy