For You

Jordan

August 1st, 2011
10:30 PM
Location – No Where Near The Old Peterborough Hospital, Ontario
Jordan

“More coffee?”
“Please.”

I tell the waitress at the diner I am at, trying to wake myself up. I’m sitting at the counter of a diner, picking at French toast and drinking as much coffee as I can to keep me up. It was a small diner right off the high way, which served breakfast at anytime of the day and was opened twenty-four hours.

However, I was nowhere near Peterborough.

There was an accident off the highway, forcing me to get off at some random town I had never even heard of in my life. It was bumper to bumper after a couple hours of driving and stopping to grab gas, and then I attempted to sit in the traffic but got insanely tired and hungry that I knew I needed to stop. So I got off at the nearest exit, and now I don’t know where the hell I am.

All I knew is that I was nowhere near my destination, hell.

“You alright there kid?”

The waitress at the counter asks as I just stare at my plate of half eaten French toast, eggs, and bacon. I knew I was hungry, but due to the fact I just wanted to sleep, I couldn’t eat. I was already on my fourth cup of coffee and the caffeine hadn’t kicked in. “Eh, I’m just trying to wake up,” I lie through my teeth, because the last thing I needed was to vent to a woman about my issues.

“You seem a little down.”

I finally bring myself to look at the woman. She’s about Azalia’s age, six months pregnant, and doesn’t want to be at work at this hour. I begin to feel bad for her; she probably has it just as bad as I do at the moment. “You’re Jordan Staal, aren’t you?” She asks in a low voice so no one can hear.

“Sadly,” I mumble, before taking a sip of coffee.
“Why sadly?”
“It was a long day.”
“I heard about the kidnapping, I’m really sorry.”
“Me too. I’m trying to find her as we speak.”
“Why aren’t you letting the cops do it?”
“They won’t do shit, plus it’s a long story…uhmm…” I start as I look for her nametag on her shirt, but I don’t see one.
“Cassie.”

I nod my head and take another sip of my coffee and look at my phone. It’s about ten fourty now, and I’m trying to decide on spending the night at a hotel and continue in the morning, or if I should suck up the fact that I’m tired and keep going. “Is this girl your best friend?” Cassie asks me.

“My best friend that I’m in love with. I tried to stop this guy…he punched me good…god I wish it were me and not her.”
“We all wish situations didn’t turn out the way they did.”
“We were in a fight…all because I thought she loved my brother…it should’ve been me.”
“I’m really sorry Jordan.”
“Can I get a big cup of coffee for to go?” I ask her.”
“I’ll bring that up.”
“And keep the change.”

With that, I hand her a one hundred dollar bill. She looks at the bill and tries to give it back. I give her a looking urging for her to keep it, but she is insisting that I take it back and pay her normally. “I can’t accept this Jordan, I really can’t,” she says.

“You need it more than I do.”
“I’m having a boy, it was an accident, and the father left me.”
“I’m really sorry Cassie, you seem like a nice girl, you don’t deserve that.”
“You know, I’ve heard different stories on your personality, some say you’re a dick, others say you’re a nice guy.”
“What do you think now?”
“I’ll be naming my child after you, never change Jordan. I’ll bring that coffee up.”

The thought of what she just said made me smile a bit. I’m sure people did think I was a dick, were as others didn’t know what to think of me. I helped a young girl out tonight, she needed the help and she needed the money more than I did.

She comes back with my coffee as my phone vibrates. I look down at it to see I have a text message from an unknown number. I look at the number that I don’t recognize, thinking maybe Tanya or Maria got new cell phone numbers and I wasn’t aware of it yet. I clicked the open button and my eyes widened as I read the following:

are we having fun yet?

“Excuse me sir.”

I turn around and see a young man tapping my shoulder. I put the phone in one hand with my car keys and my coffee cup in my other hand. “Are you the owner of a black BMW?” He asks me as I nod my head, confused as to why this man was questioning me about my car. “I think I saw someone toying around with it.”

“What do you--- oh shit.”

With that, I stormed out of the diner and into the parking lot. I point the keys to my unlock button and click the button. Within seconds I thought I was going to lose my hearing. I flew backward as I heard the shrieking sound of what I thought was a bomb going off. I land on my back but quickly get up to see my car was in flames. The man who reported this to me was standing next to me now, as people were stopping what they were currently doing to see my now in flames car.

“Oh my god…”
“Dude, what happened?”
“I don’t even know…”

I pull my phone out and begin to look for Eric’s number. At this point, I knew I was carless, and I had to somehow or another get to the damn old hospital. Right when I found Eric’s number, my phone began to go nuts. I don’t recognize the number, but it was the same number who sent me the text message before my car blew. I answer the call and put the phone to my ear. “Don’t even think about calling Eric.”

“Who is this?”
“Having fun tonight Jordan?”
“You just blew up my fucking car.”
“I figured this game needed to have excitement.”
“Blowing up my car is not exciting…wait, how’d you know I was going to call my brother?”
“I’m watching your every move Staal. I told you, you bring your brothers or the cops into this, and she dies.”
“I’m really going to kill you now.”
“Just remember, I am watching your every move.”
“I’ll see you when I get there.”

I hang up the phone as the cops and fire department are trying to spray down my car. I knew I had to get out of there and I needed to fast. I look over at the guy who told me about my car exploding, who is looking at me now. “You need a car don’t you?”

“Yeah…and fast.”
“There is a used car dealership down the street, they’re usually open until midnight.”
“Sweet deal, thank you.”

I then begin running down the street when I see the used car dealership. It’s brightly lit and huge. I go up to the front door to see that t was dark inside, meaning it most likely closed early for the day. I walk away from the door and weigh my options. Go against Spencer’s rules, call Eric for a car, and let Azalia die or steal a car. I was really considering the second option as my phone went off. “Hello?” I say as I put my phone up to my ear.

“Dude, the cops just called, your car blew up into flames, want to explain that one?” Eric is yelling now.
“Spencer Bradley is going to be a dead man when we meet.”
“Dude, do you want me to bring you a car?”
“No, he’s watching my every move. What’d the cops say?”
“Well…we told them you were looking for Azalia and wanted no help what’s so ever.”
“We will all be screwed if they find out you’re lying your ass off.”
“Where exactly are you?”
“Finding a car…I’ll call you later.”

I hang up the phone and stop when I see a Jeep Wrangler in black. It was Azalias dream car, she wanted one so she can name it Bruce Wayne. I walk over to the driver’s side to see the door was open. I knew I had to hot wire the car, and thank God that Marc was my brother because he taught me how to do this in high school. I bend down by the brake pedal to start looking for wires to pull apart. I then feel a light hit me. I look up to see a car dealer holding a flashlight. “Can I ask what you are doing?”

“Inspecting the breaks,” I begin, as I stand up and fix my jeans. “I’m a sucker for a car with good brakes.”
“You’re the guy whose car just blew up, eh?”
“Yeah…look—“
“You were going to hotwire the car, weren’t you?”
“How much do I owe you?”
“It’s a 2007, its worth about 10,000…I’ll give it to you for 5.000.”
“Look…I kind of need to borrow the car…but here’s five-thousand,” I reply, handing him a check.
“Enjoy!” He smiles, handing me the keys.

I pull out of the lot and jump onto the highway, in hopes of making it to the old hospital not only before morning, but before he attempted to pull some bullshit on Azalia. The car rode smoothly and the brakes were so far working properly. It was at that moment my phone went off for the third time tonight. I look down and I swear I felt my eyes pop out of my socket.

Heather.

“Hello?” I say, putting the phone to my ear.
“Jordan, it’s me.”
“I know.”
“I heard what happened, is everything okay?”
“No, it isn’t.”
“I’m really sorry.”
“Yeah, well me too.”
“Look can I ask something of you?”

I really shouldn’t be mean to her, because I did find the balls to finally break up with her, but why did she have to call me at a time like this? I wasn’t going to get back together with her, nor was I going to give her what she wanted, reconciliation. “Heather, what is it?”

“Did you break up with me for her? Tell me the truth.”

She knew, she knew the real reason why I broke it off. I sigh as I hit traffic. I hit my head on the back of the leather seat and sigh. I can’t lie to her or anyone who asks me this anymore. I could never escape the question. “Heather…I can’t lie to you anymore.”

“I knew it.”
“Heather, I’m sorry it came down to that, really.”
“I hope you have a nice life.”

With that, she hangs up the phone. I then realize traffic is picking up and I’m getting closer to Peterborough. I’m getting closer into killing Spencer and bringing Azalia home. I was going to kill Spencer though, and I was going to give him a slow, painful death, instead of a quick and painful one.

And after all of that, I was going to tell the girl I loved that I love her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song Inspiration -- Anberlin - Ready Fuels

this was a writers block chapter, the next chapter will be good, i promise

again, feedback is always welcomed