Status: new =D

Enthusiast

Chapter 2

“Ugh!” I snatched up my skateboard and ran up the front steps, bursting through the front doors. Not even bothering to go to my locker first, I threw open the door to homeroom and saw Mr. Turner, the English teacher, taking attendance.

“Ah, nice of you to join us, Ms. Daniels.” He smiled, the wrinkles around his eyes crinkling, and gestured for me to take my seat. Blushing furiously, I scrambled towards the right side of the room, taking my seat in front as Mr. Turner continued with attendance.

I laid my head down on my desk, and quietly stuck my skateboard underneath my feet, rolling it back and forth. It was a good thing Mr. Turner was old and almost deaf and blind, or else I would have gone straight to the principal’s office.

“You see, boys and girls,” Mr. Turner had finished attendance and was now lecturing the class on the works of Jane Austen. “The main theme of Pride and Prejudice is how important the upbringing of children is. In fact, the failure of Mr. and Mrs. Bennet as parents is blamed for Lydia's lack of moral judgment; Darcy, on the other hand, had been taught to be principled and scrupulously honorable, but is also proud and overbearing. How would you say you have been brought up, Ms. Daniels?”

All heads whipped around and looked my way, causing my face to turn beet red. As I began to open my mouth to say God knows what, the bell rang, and Mr. Turner reluctantly dismissed the class.

Sighing with relief, I followed the stampede of students into the overcrowded hallway, and somehow made it to my locker without being trampled. Looking to my left, I saw an unfamiliar student walking my way. In the sea of students, he may have just been another face in the crowd, but for some reason, he caught my eye. Once I started to look at him, it was almost as if my eyes were forbidding me from turning away.

He walked with a gait that screamed DANGEROUS, and students seemed to respect that and scurry out of his path. His hair was midnight black, shaggy, and fell around his face, with bangs right above his eyebrows. His clothes were casual; ripped jeans and a plain green t-shirt. But his most striking feature was his eyes; a cold, ice blue, with a chilling fierceness to them. Although his face remained expressionless, I could see in his eyes what frightened me the most upon first glance; pain. It was almost as if he was dreading every step he took, every intake of breath. It was the pain I saw in him that made him so captivating, so spellbinding. I was so entranced by his eyes that I didn’t even notice him stride toward me, until he was right in front of me. Even when he paused less than six inches away from me, even after the halls cleared, and I knew the bell was about to ring, I couldn’t stop staring; I was too mesmerized. I don’t know what he thought of me while I was looking blankly at him; if he thought anything bad, he didn’t let on. He just stood there, staring at me the same way I was staring at him. It was only after he cleared his throat that I was brought out of my trance.

“You’re blocking my locker.” He muttered, turning away from me and nodding to the locker on my right. I just stood there, the words barely registering with me. All I could think about was his voice. It was like velvet, yet had a strange hardness around it. As if he was wanted to be kind, but something had happened that made him change. Slowly, I took a step to the left, and he went around me, spinning in the combination and opening the locker with ease. I turned around, and went back to my locker. I reached out to grab my science books, but my hand fell while it was in midair. Suddenly, my mind went blank, and was overridden with my conscience interrogating me, stealing my thoughts and invading my privacy.

What just happened? I’m not the type of girl that spends the five minutes between classes staring at guys. So what came over me? Why couldn’t I take my eyes off this boy that I don’t even know? I shook my head, trying to get the questions out as I closed my locker and made my way to science. My steps seemed to echo off the walls, making an eerie and almost sinister sound. The mysterious boy was still at his locker, but I didn’t dare turn around. If I did, I might not be able to look away again. Besides, I didn’t need to turn around to know that he wasn’t looking around his locker anymore. I could practically feel his pain-filled ocean-like orbs burning holes through my back.
♠ ♠ ♠
feedback please!