I Never Want to Leave This Bed

Twenty-Three

My mind was absent; my body was moving through the familiar London airport at what felt like a million miles an hour. The faces that passed me were a blur, my mind could only think of one face and I wouldn’t be able to feel normal until I found him.

As soon as I reached the front of the airport, I hailed a cab and rode into the city. I began to tap my foot anxiously again as I waited to get to my destination. My stomach was in a constant knot, I couldn’t take this suspense.

While the cab was in motion, I looked over at an English press magazine; it was full of the latest celebrity gossip and scandals. Flipping through, my eyes landed on a familiar face. It was Jonathan, the article discussed the filming of his new movie, how he had bounced back from the brink of alcoholism, and…how he had made things work with his ex. I instantly tore to the front of the magazine for the date. It was brand new.

My heart shattered into a million pieces within a matter of seconds, the past few hours had been for nothing. I had wasted my time; I could be back in Madrid with my bestfriend soaking in the sun, happy. I told the driver to stop just a few streets short of Jonathan’s apartment, paying him I got out.

It was like a scene out of a bad 80’s movie, there I walked alone, and suitcase dragging behind me as rain trickled down. The overcast created a dull gray lighting, which just made everything so much gloomier.

A semi nice hotel was just down the street, I figured I’d get a room and go out for a night on the town. Most likely it was end with me, drunk, in bed with a nice English lad whose name I’ll never remember. At this point, I honestly didn’t care.

After checking into the hotel, I ripped apart my suitcase trying to find something to wear. Folded in a dry cleaners bag, was my expensive, low cut, black, satin sheath dress. I pulled it from the gingerly and laid it out on the bed. I was going to look fantastic, I had to.

After a hot shower, I blow dried my hair from underneath to give my blonde hair the sexy volume that Sarah’s hair had. Then I applied some makeup, layering my eye shadow to give it a smokey effect. I finished the look off with a light maroon colored lipstick.

Slipping into some sexy black stilettos, I strutted out of the hotel with my hand bag in hand. My destination was The Skyy Bar, it was an upscale lounge a few streets over. Sarah always told me it was the best to pick up respectable men, Sarah didn’t want a man worth less than her.

The Skyy Bar was a buzz tonight, lots of beautiful faces mingled with in the lounge. Three or four men had already eyed me as I walked in; I looked like a million bucks. Though my insides did not match my outsides, I looked worse than an Olsen twin hyped up on crack on the inside. I needed a drink.

Taking a seat on the clear, glass bar stool, I motioned for the bartender to come my way. Before I could order a handsome man took a seat on the stool next smiled broadly before saying, “Let me get this for the lovely lady.”

“I’ll have a gin and tonic, with a lime.” I purred, giving him a smirk. He flashed another brilliant white smile and nodded, motioning for the bartender to get my drink. He turned to me again, brilliant green eyes undressing me as we mingled.

His name was Charles and he was a typical business man looking to find a snobby uptight wife to match him. He has blonde hair that looked to be wavy but he had it slicked back. His features were boyish aside from his manly jaw shape. If I could compare him to somebody, he sort of resembled a blonde version of Rob Lowe.

Charles was desperately trying to take things to the next level, he would lean closer and whisper his intentions in my ear, his hand pawed at my knee. He would have gladly moved his cold hand up my thigh and under my dress had I let him.

I was just about to accept Charles’ offer to show me the back seat of his Jaguar when a familiar face walked into the bar, new girlfriend on his arm. Choking on my drink, I tried to shield myself from his view as he came closer.

“What’s wrong?” Charles asked, shocked at my sudden reaction.

“Just star struck.”I lied, motioned toward Jonathan, ducking my head down.

“I’ll get you another drink.” Charles said with a chuckle, trying to blow off the attractive celebrity stealing his spot light.

“Can I get a gin and tonic and an appletini?” That sexy irish accent said, leaning on the barstool beside me. I caught a wiff of his scent and shuddered, losing my balance and nearly falling over. His grip caught my fall; I turned to meet his dazzling smile.

“Are you alri…”He stopped mid sentence, his smile faded as he recognized me. Instantly he lost the ability to speak. Slowly he began to let go of me. The bartender set the two drinks before him, Jonathan ignored him. He just stared at me.

“Jen…Jen is that you? Is this real or is the drink tricking me again?” He said softly, his voice was shakey with disbelief.

“It’s me.” I murmured, our eyes boring deep into each other’s. It had only been a little over a week but it felt like it had been an eternity. Jonathan flinched when his girlfriend shouted to him, demanding she be brought her drink. He whispered that he’d be right back and carried the appletini to his beloved girlfriend. From afar I could see her sneer at him and begin to lecture him.

I blankly stared at him, waiting nervously for his return. He stared back at me, ignoring everything that came from his woman’s mouth, he was taken by me. I had won for now.
Jonathan approached me and took a seat at the bar. Charles was still sitting behind me trying desperately to win back my favor, he failed miserably.

“Jen, what are you doing here? I thought-“I stopped mid sentence again, his face puzzled. He was deeply trying to make right of this situation.

“I came after you.”I replied honestly, taking a gulp of my drink and wincing at the burn, “But you moved on, forgot all about me. Pretty princess over there must be thrilled.”

“That’s bullshit!”He growled, slamming his drink down on the bar and grabbing my hand violently. Both his hands cupped over mine and he pulled me closer so that were looking eye to eye.

“Jennifer, you ended this not me. I’m not going to sit around be alone just because you didn’t want me.” He said coldly, releasing my hands.

“Obviously I do, why do you think I’m here.”I retorted, throwing up my hands and motioning to the club around me.

“It took you this long to figure it out?”He sneered turning away.

“I was afraid, I was afraid of her.” I said motioning to his perfect heiress, “She had you for 7 years, I didn’t want to throw everything away only to be left for her.”

He turned to me and looked at me deeply as if I had offended him highly.

“Jennifer, you were always my first choice. Since the day I met you.” He murmured, he then turned to look at the heiress, “You saw how she treats me, I could never love that woman. She just fills the void.”

“Two months doesn’t compare to seven years, Jon.” I told him, rolling my eyes.

“I was happier in those two months than I have been in seven years.” He confessed, taking a sip of his drink and looking back at me. He gently grabbed my hand and stroked it softly.

“I’m not going to do this; this is just too much for me.” I choked out, shielding my misty eyes from him. He wasn’t going to see me cry.

I ran out of the lounge and down the sidewalk, behind me I could Jonathan shout after me but I didn’t turn back. I was going back home, I couldn’t do this anymore.