Tonight

made of honor

"I think I'm gonna be sick," Thea said, her lips twisted into something between a sneer and a snarl. I probably should have felt bad about what I was doing to my best friend, but I had been hoping for the last four years that Thea would finally take the hint. She just happened to be a little more stubborn than I could have counted on. I should have know better really, but after an eternity of secretly loving your best friend, a guy gets a little desperate. That was why I had popped in Made of Honor. It didn't seem to be doing me any good though. Any second, I expected Thea to either throw something at the television or run out of the room and throw up in my toilet.

So much for wishful thinking.

"C'mon Thea, it's not that bad," I insisted. "After all if they really love each other, what does it matter what other factors come into mind?" I asked. I already knew the answer I was going to get. I had had it shoved down my throat time and time again. I had never understood why Thea hated the idea so much, but I wasn't going to give up on her either. I loved her. And I wanted her to know and accept that it wasn't a friend's love that I was willing to give her.

"Yes it is Sherwin and you damn well know that! I always thought those best friends who fell in love were silly. No...not silly." She trailed off turning thoughtful and I decided to take the chance and speak up.

"Oh?" I asked feeling my throat go dry. "You mean you don't believe in it? Not that it's silly. Love's not silly after all," I pointed out.

"Well of course love's not silly! Don't be stupid Sherwin. I guess what I mean is...it's anticlimactic. That's it! It's so anti-climactic. You've been waiting all this time for love and you just look over and say 'oh it's you...do you really even mean it?' " she asked furrowing her brow.

I frowned. That seemed highly irrational for someone like Thea. She didn't take things at face value. It wasn't her way. And so for her to say something like this...well it was confusing to say the least. "Wait, can we back up here for a minute?" I asked furrowing my brow. "How does that make any sense Thea? Why are friends excluded from loving each other? What makes them so different?"

She glared at me. "They can't love love each other Sherwin," she snapped as if I had said something stupid and entirely illogical. Or don't you get that? They aren't capable of it. It's like...it's like loving your sister or brother."

Now she was getting into the wrong argument. One thing that I had discovered about Thea when we were children was that whenever she delved into areas of psychology or history: I always won the argument. I expected this time to be no exception. "Have you ever heard of the Mausoleum of Maussollos?" I asked arching an eyebrow.

It was Thea's turn to frown at me. "What does that have to do with anything?" she demanded. I really didn't want to do things this way, but I had waited fifteen years for this day. I wasn't giving it up now because she was being completely irrational.

"The Mausoleum of Maussollos was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. It was considered one of the most beautiful buildings ever created. It was a tomb made for a governor of the Persian Empire named Maussollos and his wife Artemisia. It was and still is considered one of the greatest works of love ever created."

Thea sighed and began to massage her temples before giving me a look that I had seen time and time again. "And what's the moral of this story oh great one?" she asked sarcasm dripping from every word.

I leaned back a slightly smug smile tipping my lips. "They were also brother and sister. As wrong as we or even their contemporaries may have found it, love isn't limited by who the other person is."

Her jaw took on her a stubborn tilt. I may have won, but she wasn't going to admit it today. In fact from the look of anger that was beginning to light her eyes, I was going to be lucky if she talked to me at all the rest of this week. "Sherwin, turn off the damn movie and shut up," she snapped. I considered arguing but thought better of it and did as I was told.
♠ ♠ ♠
Um at times this will be darker and at times this will be a lighter story so I hope you guys will bear with me and the ups and downs between these two.