Sequel: Raising Baby

A Birthday Wish

What Lovers Do

Four years had passed since that fateful night in Brittany’s childhood bedroom.
She still cannot help but laugh when she thinks of her parents looking at her and Jon the next morning. They heard everything that night, even the shrieks of yes, but they assumed that it was just sounds that their daughter was making during sex. Those yeses weren’t exactly that, even though a lot of that did follow. Her parents were concerned and confused when Brittany and Jon announced that they wanted to get married. Her parents didn’t understand why they were rushing everything, but Jon explained that he was madly in love with their daughter and that he would do all that he could to provide for her.
They were engaged for two years before getting married in one of the most beautiful ceremonies ever. Jon treated Brittany like a queen on her wedding day, and he paid for anything that she wanted. He didn’t care if she took him broke; he wanted her to be happy. She didn’t spend all of his money, though.
Their wedding was beautiful. Jon and Brittany decided that they wanted to marry in Wrightsville Beach – the place where they first met. They got married on the beach at sunset with Brittany’s one shouldered, white, tea-length dress flowing in the breeze. Her long brown hair was tied back in a one-sided and curled twisted tail. It also had the most beautiful jewels in it. Jon even went bare-footed for the ceremony and his khaki pants and blue button up made the day a bit more informal than any other wedding they attended. It worked for them, and they were told by so many people that it was a gorgeous ceremony.
They spent the night in the same condominium where Jon took Brittany for a few days two years earlier. The next day, Jon flew Brittany to England and they spent the rest of the summer gallivanting around Europe. It was a spectacular honeymoon, and Jon and Brittany were happier than they had ever been. They made sure to send out postcards from the many European places they visited.
* * *
Four years after they’d met, the couple found themselves in Halifax, Nova Scotia. They were invited to a party at the Crosby house, and Jon wanted to make sure that his wife was able to see her best friend.
Brittany hadn’t been herself lately. She desperately wanted a baby, and the two had no luck. Jon thought that a visit to Sid and Erin would get Brittany’s spirits back up. Jon and Sid talked at the house with Sid’s daughter Teagen while now pregnant Erin and Brittany went for a walk on the cool beach.
“I don’t get it,” Brittany said. “Nothing is wrong with either of us, and we can’t have a baby.”
“Hey, calm down,” Erin said with guilt. “I bet it will happen sooner rather than later.”
“Yeah? I hope.”
“Well… when was your last period?”
“I don’t even know,” Brittany mumbled. “I don’t even know! Oh my God! I haven’t had one in a while,” she exclaimed as her eyes lit up.
Erin and Brittany ran to the car and drove to the nearest drug store. Brittany went in and grabbed four pregnancy tests just so she was sure. She was so excited that she couldn’t even find her wallet in her purse. Erin told Brittany to relax and go to the car while she swiped her own credit card in place of Brittany’s. Erin walked out of the store, and got in her car. She drove Brittany back to the house where they were greeted by their confused spouses and Teagen.
Brittany grabbed Jon and took him upstairs with her. While Brittany and Jon waited for the strips to change, Erin held her baby and explained to Sid that Jon and Brittany were having trouble with getting pregnant.
“Oh. Jon didn’t mention that.”
“Why would he?”
The two were interrupted by Jon and Brittany walking down the stairs. Their faces were stoic, so Erin and Sid didn’t know how to react. They didn’t know what to say. Instead of asking anything, Sid told them to join them in the living room for movies and popcorn. They got through one movie, and the awkwardness in the room was interrupted when Teagen started crying.
Erin got up to take care of her daughter and Brittany asked if she could help. Even though she didn’t know what to say, Erin agreed, and Brittany went with Erin. Teagen needed a diaper change, and it was also time for her to eat, so Brittany did both. Then she sat in the rocker in the room and rocked Teagen back to sleep.
“See… you’ll make an excellent mom when the time comes.”
“Erin, Jon and I are having a baby. We just wanted to mess with you guys.”
A very audible and sarcastic, “I hate you” was heard coming from Erin’s mouth from the men downstairs followed by the laughter of the girls. They ran upstairs to see what was going on, and Jon figured out that Brittany couldn’t keep the secret from her best friend.
“Britt, you told her?”
‘I had to tell her. How could I not. Besides, we called our parents and told them as soon as we found out, so what’s the big deal?”
Sid was confused. He took in the scene that was before him, but he didn’t know what anyone was talking about as he watched his friend kiss his wife’s best friend.
“Sid, they’re having a baby.”
“Oh. I feel stupid now,” Sid said as he went over to give Brittany a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “Congratulations!”
The four of them were full of smiles when they heard Teagen laugh. Jon asked if he could play with her, and Sid said yes. Brittany couldn’t help but smile when she saw how well Jon handled the baby. It made her think about their future together. She couldn’t wait for the next nine months to go by and meet their little boy or girl. She had waited a long time for this day, and she wanted to be a mom. As Jon continued to rock Teagen, Erin talked about all the things that happened during her pregnancy.
Jon busted in on their conversation. “Well as long as she’s horny a lot, I’ll be happy.”
Brittany smacked Jon gently because she didn’t want to hurt Teagen, and Jon laughed.
“I’m only kidding,” he said with a wink to his beautiful wife.
Jon handed Teagen to Erin, and he and Sid went down to the yard to start cooking on the grill. Sid gave Jon a nice slap on the back to congratulate him and wish him luck with the baby. He didn’t think they’d need luck, but Sid wanted his friend to know just how much he cared about him.
* * *
Nine months later, Brittany gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. She and Jon agreed on the name Brady Jonathan. It wasn’t a common name, and that was something that they both liked. They also liked that it was the reverse of Jon’s initials. To celebrate the birth of their son, Jon bought Brittany a diamond pendant that he gave to her. He also gave her a charm bracelet with a charm that had Brady’s name engraved on it.
They took Brady home to their Chicago apartment and their dogs. Henry and Joseph took to Brady, and the newborn showed no fear when Jon introduced him to them. They had their own perfect family and that was all Brittany and Jon wanted. But Jon had one more surprise for Brittany; he secretly bought a huge mansion in the Chicago suburbs because he wanted Brady to be a big brother in the future. It was the perfect beginning for the new family.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the final chapter in this story. Let me know what you think. Please don't be afraid to leave comments. I might revisit these characters in another story, so the more feedback, the quicker you get a sequel.