Sequel: Raising Baby

A Birthday Wish

That Summer Night

When Kris and Brittany got to the top of the stairs, he suddenly felt guilty. Everything she had done for him was sweet, but something just didn’t feel right to him. Instead of letting anything go farther, he stopped her while she was kissing him at the foot of the bed.
“What’s wrong, sweetheart,” she asked him.
He got up, walked to the right side of the bed, and sat on the edge. He looked at her with a guilty face. He didn’t know what to do. He was really enjoying the time that he got to spend in Pittsburgh with Brittany when she visited her friend, Erin, but he felt so strange about her not being at home in North Carolina. He too knew what it was like to be away from home because of the time he spends in Pittsburgh for hockey.
“I know I told you that I really like spending time with you,” he said. “It’s just that there was a girl from Montreal. I really cared about her, and she called me a few days ago. I really miss her, and I am so confused right now. I really thought that I could just forget her, but something keeps making me think about her.”
Brittany was shocked. Here she was, thinking that she was going to make love to her boyfriend, and now he makes the biggest confession. It was a confession that she never expected, and she suddenly felt nauseated.
“I… I don’t even know what to say, Kris. I am confused. And hurt! Why would you even bring me here. I feel like you lied to me downstairs. Do you know how bad that hurts? Why couldn’t you just tell me all this downstairs? I… I was about to…” she trailed off, with tears in her eyes.
Kris just sat there on the bed. He tried to take Brittany in his arms, but she had enough. When he touched her, she got off the edge of the bed and walked a few feet away from where he was sitting. She didn’t even want to look at him, so she made sure that her back was to him the whole time. She suddenly looked out the window to see the first signs of summer in Pittsburgh. The beautiful fireflies were out, and they reminded her of her home in North Carolina.
“Kris, I really appreciate the honesty, and so I am going to be honest with you. I really was falling for you, but this just concerns me. I didn’t think you were a good match for me when Erin and Sidney suggested that I go on a date with you, but I met you and you were so sweet. You really impressed me, but now… now I feel like I’ve been used. If you had feelings for someone else, you should have never planned a second or a third date with me. You should have just let me go. And that’s what I am doing with you. I am letting you go. I’ll move on, and I’ll be fine.”
She walked over to the bed, and put her blouse that Kris had already taken from her body over her camisole. He sat there on the edge of the bed with his bare chest exposed and a tear in his eyes.
“I know,” he said as the tear fell from his eye and rolled down his cheek. “Brittany, I am sorry. I really hope you know that. Why do you think I stopped us from going any further here?”
“Kris, I need to go,” she said coldly. She did however walk back over to him to kiss his cheek. “I really hope that one day I can forget all of this and be friends with you,” she said as she walked towards the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was a kind of spur of the moment chapter. I will probably continue this story if I like how it went.