Sequel: Raising Baby

A Birthday Wish

What Did You Say?

Brittany just looked at Sid. Even Erin’s glance shifted from Brittany to Sid. Erin looked shocked, but Brittany’s gaze was more of concern.
“You knew,” Brittany asked Sid.
“Well I tried to tell you and Erin that he was recently in a relationship. He told me that he was ready to move forward and that he was over her for the most part. If he wasn’t, I didn’t know that part. I only knew about her.”
Erin looked even sadder. “Sid, I wanted to help Brittany for what she did for us. I would have never met you if it weren’t for her being so pushy, I would have never fallen into your arms.”
“I realize that! You told me to find someone that would like her, and Kris told me that she was beautiful. I don’t think that’s a lie, but feelings do change, you know?”
At this point, it looked like Erin and Sid were going to start one of their bickering matches that to which Brittany had become accustomed.
“Guys, I don’t blame either of you. I really don’t. You both thought that Kris was right for me. I thought it too. He just turned out to be really good at hiding that he wasn’t over his ex. I guess that’s all there is to it. I really just want a place to sleep for the night because I don’t feel like catching a redeye looking so sad.”
With her quiet voice, Brittany had calmed Erin and Sid down and got them to stop fighting over whose fault it could be.
“Wait, you’re going home,” Erin asked.
“Well I don’t have a reason to stay. I was going to go home soon anyway. It’s just that I am going home a little earlier than I planned.”
Erin looked at Brittany. “We should have told you that Sid and I are going to North Carolina. We are taking a short trip with Jordan Staal to visit Eric before we set loose on our own for a few days. You could fly down with us and go home from there if you’d like. Or you could stay for a bit with me. Jordan has to babysit while Team Canada has a little golf reunion. I’ll be bored by myself. You could keep me company. Please come with us! We could get manicures, pedicures, and massages. Please?”
Brittany looked at her friend. “Umm. That was a lot to take in, especially in a short amount of time. But okay. When do you guys fly out?”
Sidney looked at Erin. He seemed a bit upset with her for inviting Brittany, but he did feel guilty for all of this. He then shifted his glance to Brittany and said, “We fly out in two days. You’re welcome to stay here until then. I’ll just call the pilot and tell him that we added another person to the plane.”
“Are you sure,” Brittany asked her best friend’s husband.
“Yeah. I’m sure. Now why don’t we all get some sleep. I’ve set up the guest room for you, Brittany. All you have to do is set the alarm for when you’d like.”
“Thanks. Y’all are too good to me. I really appreciate all of this!”
Erin grabbed Brittany’s glass and plate and placed them in the dishwasher as Sid snuck up behind her and whisper into her ear that he would meet her upstairs. He understood that Brittany and Erin probably wanted a few minutes alone so they could really talk. Erin turned around so Sid could look at her. He gently kissed her forehead, and headed towards the stairs.
After he was out of earshot, Brittany looked at her best friend. “I really don’t blame either of y’all. I just hope Sid isn’t annoyed that I’ll be invading your personal space for a few days.”
“Hey, you live and you learn. This isn’t that big of a deal. You’re down the hall from us, so it is still somewhat private. Don’t worry. And you have your own bathroom in there, so you don’t have to worry about roaming the halls in a towel or anything. It will be just fine.”
The two girls headed up the stairs to their respective bedrooms. Brittany felt a little more at ease after her conversation with Erin. She felt like she wouldn’t be a bother to her newly married friends. As she laid her head on the down pillow that was in the Crosby’s guestroom, she felt nervous to get home, but also refreshed because she knew she would be moving on from her failed relationship with Kris. And who knows, maybe home could bring a new guy to her life. Maybe it would bring a guy who wasn’t hung up on someone else.