Play Your Game

Shot through the heart and you're to blame.

“I’m sorry if you thought I was leading you on, Rick. I’m just not that into you. You know, like the movie?”

That was how she broke up with me. If you could even call it a breakup, because we had never really been together. Her name was Angel, but she was a devil in disguise. She was the kind of girl that you didn’t bring home to Mom. She pretended to be soft and sweet, when really she was just as rough around the edges as any man from a seedy bar might be. To her, love was a game, and she played it well.

And now, here I was, standing outside her house with a bouquet of mismatched flowers I’d picked from houses around her neighborhood. Somehow, I didn’t think she’d appreciate them, but I wanted to at least try and do this right. She’d left my house a little over a week before, and my heart had been hell ever since. I didn’t know what I was going to do or what I was going to say, but I knew I needed to do something.

I rang the doorbell three different times before she arrived at the door, looking like the hot mess that she was. A half-smoked cigarette was dangling off her stained lips, makeup smeared and she was standing there in just a skimpy pair of black panties and a bra. She didn’t seem phased that I was there, which came as a slight surprise.

“Rick. I didn’t think I’d see you again,” she said through a yawn before she pushed the door open, sauntering off into the house. I took the open door as an invitation to walk inside, and followed her through a messy living room to the kitchen, where she poured herself a mug of stale-smelling coffee. She didn’t bother pouring me one, and I didn’t bother asking. I wasn’t here for coffee.

“I didn’t think I’d be here either,” was all I told her in a gravelly voice before I cleared my throat. “I brought these for you.”

She turned her head and looked at the flowers, a confused look coming over her face before she turned back to her coffee. “I don’t have a vase, so you might as well just toss them in the trash. They’ll make the trash can smell better for awhile.”

I rolled my eyes and tossed them into the garbage can like she’d requested before I moved closer to her; my body directly behind hers so that her back was against my chest. “I didn’t like the fact you just up and left without so much as an explanation why.”

I could have sworn her breath hitched in her throat, and she smirked as she turned around to face me. “Then why don’t you show me how much you don’t like it?” She challenged. All I could concentrate on was the way her lipstain had smeared onto her skin, like she’d already been with another guy this morning or late last night. Knowing Angel, she probably had been. But that wasn’t going to stop me. She was giving me an opportunity and I was going to take it.

I wasted no time in crashing my lips against hers, my hands moving to her bony hips and lifting her so that she had to wrap her legs around my waist so she wouldn’t fall over. I took her cigarette out of her hand and snuffed it out on the counter, and then started carrying her towards the bedroom. When I stepped inside, the room smelled like old sex and sweat, but I didn’t care.

“I thought you told me you hated me,” she moaned as my lips traveled down her neck. I didn’t bother responding vocally as my hand moved up to her chest, groping her through her shirt firmly, letting her know just what I wanted.

“And you told me you didn’t care,” my response finally came as I let my hand move down lower. “You’re not the type of girl to care if someone hates her or not, are you? As long as you get what your body wants,” I told her harshly.

No more time was wasted talking as we got down to business. This wasn’t about love to me; this wasn’t about getting her to realize she’d taken my heart and shattered it into a million pieces with what she’d done. My plan was to leave her begging for more so that just once, she’d know what it felt like to have her heart broken. She could play her game, but I was going to play it just as well.