Status: Maybe?

Fantaisie

Prologue

The night sky was painted deep navy and splattered with white sparkles, shining down on the mountainous, debris-covered earth below. Though decimated from war, the former town of Leverage was but the perfect refuge for an assembly such as ours. Located just within Mount Arjek, Leverage was in a cave previously occupied by the dragon people, before war had erupted and many either fled or joined battle with their fellow serpents. While food was scarce, we’d grown accustomed to this in our travels and hunted every chance we were given. It was mere luck that the well was still in order, that the freshwater ponds had not been dried or destroyed along with the town.

By the sanction of the Capitol, we were allowed to stay here for twenty days to prepare and plan our assault. Beyond Leverage and onto the cliff just outside the cave, our target could be seen glowing under the moonlight: Elgatresk Fortress. The city was aglow in deep purple from the sky-high towers to the streetlights.

Today was day 19. This was our final destination. My final destination.

I’m going home.

As my eyes trailed the shadowy horizon beyond Elgatresk, footsteps echoed behind me and then paused. There was a sound of flapping and a valravne soared above our heads in the direction of the fortress. It circled it once before racing back towards the cliff, pointed straight at me and just barely missing my face as it flew back to its master. Finally, a deep male voice asked, “So this is our last night together.”

It wasn’t a question, but a statement. There was a sense of reluctance in his tone, a sound that cried that we didn’t have to go through and do this. We could just turn around, escape back to the Capitol that not long ago we had, too, been running from. And my heart wanted to do just that, take his hand and forget everything, and live the rest of my life with him. However, both of us knew this could not happen. It was only an illusion.

“Yes,” I whispered, eyes never faltering from the illuminated city below us. “I suppose it is.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally got this started!
This story is based heavily off of ideas mentioned in Norse mythology. I'm aware not many people know much about the ideas of Norse mythology (I'm sure you don't know what a valravne is haha!), so rest assured that everything that needs to be explained, will be.

I hope you enjoy!