Lily's Girl

The Girl of Flesh and the Girl of Glass

She was made of glass.

Frail and practically useless, she sat atop of a small girl's dresser for what seemed to be an eternity. She sat there, day after day, watching the little girl grow but she was never taken down from her sentry. She was alone, the little glass girl. She knew nothing of love. She knew nothing of warmth. She knew only of the feeling of the cold wood beneath her and the sight of a usually empty room.

Oh, the things she would hear the girl made of flesh scream into the dark room. If the other girl had maybe picked her up once in a while, they could have been best friends. After all, she knew every secret of hers. But the girl of glass was never touched by a human child. She had only known the touch of the machine that put her together and the hands of a stranger that placed her in a large box, not caring where she ended up.

The girl of glass watched and waited. She sat at her post as the girl of flesh walked in and out of the room, growing taller and becoming curvy. The other girl was becoming more and more beautiful each time the girl of glass gazed upon her. But the girl of glass stayed the same. She would never know the feeling of change in her body. She would stay the same forever.

The girl of glass one day realized that she fell in love with the girl of flesh. She loved her hair; how bouncy and dark it was. She loved her eyes; the way they would glisten sometimes and how blue they were. She loved her voice; they way it rang like bells when she laughed. But most of all, the girl of glass loved the other's name. She had heard it once. It was when the girl of flesh's mother called her. It was Lily. The girl of glass had wondered often what the sound of her name would be like if she said it out loud. She wondered what the feeling of the name Lily would feel like on her tongue. She wondered if she would be able to feel it at all.

One night, a wind blew through town. Rain struck down on the streets. The girl of glass would not have known this if Lily hadn't come into her room soaking wet from the storm, shaking. Though she was wet, the girl of glass knew something was wrong. There was a look of absolute pain on Lily's face. Her face had crumpled and she ran to the bed, burying her face in the pillows. The girl of glass, heartbroken to see her love like this, was at the same time jealous. She would never be able to assemble her face like that.

The light was off and the room was dark. The girl of glass, feeling that she must do something to comfort Lily, did something she never thought she would have the courage to do. She climbed down the dresser.

It took a lot of effort. Her limbs were not quite so flexible, so she was almost teeter-tottering down the dresser, her tiny feet hitting the knobs on each drawer as she moved down. When she reached the bottom, the hem of her mint green dress rustled a little but she smoothed it out with her hands. She carefully made her way to the bed, mindful of each step she took. Lily was crying but the girl of glass didn't want to disturb her. Cautiously, the girl of glass gripped onto the blanket that hung over the bed and used it to climb onto the top.

There she stood, near the foot of the bed. The girl of glass looked over Lily. Lily was on her stomach, unaware of her watcher, hiding her face.

There was some movement but Lily had thought it was just herself or the wind that was still going strong. She didn't pick her head up until she felt a tiny thud next to her. She slowly picked her head up and looked to her left. There, she found the doll made of glass. She screamed of terror, grabbed the doll by the arm, and threw it across the room. It shattered and the pieces fell to the ground.

"Lily!" her mother called.

"Yes?" she answered, getting up off of the bed and wiping her face on her sleeve, watching the shattered doll.

"What was that?"

"Uh." She panicked. "The dog bumped into the dresser. A doll fell." She went down the stairs in a hurry. She didn't want to look at the doll anymore.


The girl of glass laid on the floor in pieces, realizing this was the end. One word escaped her lips before she would never have another thought. "Lily." It tasted like honey.