Sequel: I'd Run Away
Status: complete

There's Only One Way Down This Road

Ovaries before brovaries.

”Where are we going, Alex?”

“Dinner.”

“No, like where?”

“I told you, dinner. I refuse to tell you where.”

“Alexander! Tell me”

“Jasmine! You’ll see when we get there.” Alex said with a chuckle. We’ve already been driving for fifteen minutes and he won’t tell me where we’re going. I hate not knowing things. “Baby, don’t stress yourself out by thinking too hard. We’re almost there!”

Not even two minutes later, we were pulling up to Charleston. This is like the most expensive restaurant EVER. I can’t believe he would bring me here.

“Alex, are you crazy? This place is so expensive! I can’t let you take me here.” I said as he led me towards the restaurant.

“I can take you here, and I will. You’re my girlfriend, I’m allowed to do things like this for you. You deserve it, Jasmine.”

“Hello, welcome to Charleston. Do you have a reservation?” The host said, grabbing two menus.

“Yeah, it’s under Gaskarth.” Alex said. The host nodded and led us to a table right in the middle of the high class restaurant. This had to be the most beautiful restaurant I’ve ever seen.

“Your server will be right with you. Enjoy your meal.” The host said, placing our menus down and walking away.

Alex took my hands in his and smiled at me. That same smile that makes me melt every time I see it. “You look absolutely amazing tonight, Jasmine. I’m honestly the luckiest guy on earth right now to have a girl like you.”

I giggled and blushed like an idiot. “You’re such a charmer, Mr. Gaskarth.”

The whole atmosphere of Charleston was romantic, but Alex brought increased it even more. The whole dinner, he was looking at me as if I was the most beautiful person in the entire room. It was a nice change from all the drama at school, to be honest. Alex would occasionally tell me how amazing I was, emitting a giggle or a blush each time. He was amazing for everything he’s been doing.

“Come on, baby girl. We got a showcase to attend. Are you ready to sing your heart out?” Alex asked, leading me to his car. Before opening my door, he lightly pushed me against the side of the vehicle and kissed me. His hands rested on my hips as my made their way around his neck to pull him closer. My entire body was pressed against his, but I needed him to be closer. Alex smiled into the kiss and slowly licked my bottom lip. I smiled slightly as well before parting my lips and allowing his tongue to explore. After a few minutes, he began to pull away from me. Alex rested is forehead against mine and smiled down at me. He laid a few tiny kisses to my lips before pulling away altogether.

“I will never ever get tired of that. Your kisses just get more addictive each time.” He said, opening the door for me. Once I was in, Alex hurried around to his side and got in himself. “So what songs are some of the other kids singing?” Alex turned the radio down and laced our hands together.

“I’m not quite sure. I know Bex is singing some pop songs but that’s about it.”

“I like her. She seems like a good friend to have around. Her personality was practically identical to Jack’s. Speaking of, he told me he offered his house for you to stay in until college?” Alex said, glancing at me through the corner of his eye.

“Yeah, I accepted too. You’re not mad, are you?”

“Oh of course not. I mean, I would have let you move in with me but we’ve only been dating for a day and I didn’t want to mess anything up. I trust Jack and I trust you, so I have no reason to be mad.”

Our conversation died out after that and we finished the drive in silence. It wasn’t awkward, it was actually rather comfortable. Alex and I didn’t need to constantly have conversation going, and it was nice.

Suprisingly, we got to the school on time. Not that I didn’t trust Alex to get us there or anything. I just didn’t know what to expect. Like the gentleman he always is, Alex opened all doors for me and held my hand the entire way into the school.

As soon as we walked into the gym, which looked fabulous, all eyes were on us. Students nudged their parents and pointed, most likely telling them a rumor they heard. Becca saw us, and immediately came to us.

“How was dinner, my favorite couple? Was it as fantastic as you two are?”

“It was great, Bex. Do you know where Mr. Smith is? I need the schedule for our performances.” Becca just handed us a little slip of paper and excused herself. Apparently, it was her turn.

I led Alex to where the photograpgy was located and let him look around. Whenever he would see something he liked, he would smile and point. Instead of a 23 year old man at an art showcase, he looked like a 6 year old in a candy shop. When he would come across one of my photographs, Alex would smile even wider and tell me how amazing it was before kissing me on the cheek in congradulations. This boy got cuter and cuter each day, I swear.

“Alright ladies and gentlemen, this is my last song before the lovely Jasmine Davis comes up here. Thank goodness I’m going before her and not after because no one will be able to live up to her voice. This is Britney Spears’s ‘Til the World Ends’ and I hope you enjoy it.”

Mr. Smith grabbed my arm and led me behind the little stage. “Davis, start tuning up the acoustic you’re going to use and make sure your little date is ready. Will he be playing too?”

“Yes sir, but he’ll be using my guitar during the duets. What order should we do them in?”

“Solo, duet, solo, duet. Excuse me Jasmine, I have to find Kylie. You haven’t seen her, have you?” I shook my head no and grabbed the guitar I dubbed as mine. I’ve been playing it since freshman year, it’s like my baby.

“Are you nervous?” Alex said, coming up behind me and holding my waist. He lightly kissed the side of my neck before turning me to face him.

“Not really. Singing is my passion, I rarely get nervous about performing anymore. What about you, rockstar? You nervous?

“Performing is my life, dear. But yeah, I kind of am. I just don’t want to mess up, you know?” I pulled his face down to mine and pecked his lips.

“You’ll do fine, Lexy. It’s one of your songs and you know ‘We’ll Be a Dream.’ I believe in you, you just have to have faith in yourself.”

Becca came around behind the stage and gave us our cue to go on. “Good luck, guys. Don’t make look too bad.”

Alex grabbed my hand and led me onto the stage, where there were already two stools waiting. He gave me an encouraging look and took the guitar out of my hands. Once he tuned it to his needs, Alex moved the microphone in my direction.

“Hey, guys. As the lovely Ms. Alexander said, I’m Jasmine. Although, she did make me seem a lot more magnificent than I really am.” I let my voice fade off and shrugged my shoulders, earning me a chuckle from a few people. “This lovely man sitting next to me is my boyfriend and duet partner for the night, Alex. I guess he’ll be playing, too, which wasn’t really planned. Whatever, he’s good enough that he won’t make me sound awful. Anyways, this first song is a personal favorite and I hope you enjoy it.”

Alex began playing the opening chords to Look After You and waited for me to join him. I shot him a smile before coming in.

‘If I don't say this now I will surely break
As I'm leaving the one I want to take
Forgive the urgency but hurry up and wait
My heart has started to separate

Oh, oh,
Be my baby
Ohhhhh
Oh, oh
Be my baby
I'll look after you

There now, steady love, so few come and don't go
Will you won't you, be the one I'll always know
When I'm losing my control, the city spins around
You're the only one who knows, you slow it down

Oh, oh
Be my baby
Ohhhhhh
Oh, oh
Be my Baby
I'll look after you
And I'll look after you’


By this point in the song, almost every person in the room was listening intently. People looked astonished and surprised, and it was a glorious moment. They were clapping to the beat and nodding their heads. It felt great.

‘If ever there was a doubt
My love she leans into me
This most assuredly counts
She says most assuredly

Oh, oh
Be my baby
I'll look after you
After You
Oh, oh
Be my baby
Ohhhhh

It's always have and never hold
You've begun to feel like home
What's mine is yours to leave or take
What's mine is yours to make your own

Oh, oh
Be my baby
Ohhhhh
Oh, oh
Be my baby
(repeat a lot.)’


As the song finished, people stood and clapped wildly. Alex took the microphone from my hands and calmed the crowd down alittle. “Isn’t my girlfriend amazing?” He said, smiling at me. “This next song is a song that many of you may know, but most probably won’t. It’s by an amazing band called We The Kings, and it’s called We’ll Be a Dream.”

Alex began his playing as another mic was brought onstage for me. He shot me a smile and started singing.

Alex:
‘Do you remember the nights
We'd stay up just laughing
Smiling for hours at anything
Remember the nights
We drove around crazy in love

When the lights go out, we'll be safe and sound
We'll take control of the world
Like it's all we have to hold on to
And we'll be a dream

Jasmine:
Do you remember the nights
We made our way dreaming
Hoping of being someone big
We're so young then
We were too crazy in love

Both:

When the lights go out, we'll be safe and sound
We'll take control of the world
Like it's all we have to hold on to
And we'll be a dream

Alex:

Woah, woah, woah...
Woah, woah, oh...

Both:
Woah, woah, woah...
Woah, woah, oh...

When the lights go out, we'll be safe and sound
We'll take control of the world
Like it's all we have to hold on to
And we'll be

When the lights go out, we'll be safe and sound
We'll take control of the world
Like it's all we have to hold on to
And we'll be a dream’


Alex finished playing as he stared straight at me with that adorable smile on his face. The crowd clapped and cheered as we finished our second song.

“Well, now that Alex is done completely stealing my spotlight, I have another solo for you guys.” Some people clapped and cheered while others sighed. Oh well, can’t please everyone, right? “This song is by the lovely Secondhand Serenade, and I think all of you will enjoy it.”

The process of Alex playing and me singing repeated again, getting an even bigger reaction from the audience. People were sitting at tables scattered around the room with their chairs facing the stage and smiles on their faces. Some people were even singing along with me. If this is what Alex gets to do each night, I am eternally jealous.

Once the song was over, Alex picked up his microphone. He shot me a wink before facing the crowd again. “Don’t you guys just love her voice? I know I do. This girl needs a recording contract or something, because the world needs to hear that voice.” Some people nodded their heads in agreement while others laughed. “Honestly, I don’t think I will ever get tired of her singing. Jasmine seems perfect, and then she opens her mouth and she becomes even better! I think she’s going to die from lack of blood flow because it’s all in her face, why don’t we get onto our final song. I don’t need my girlfriend dying because of me. This last song was actually written by my band, All Time Low. It’s called Remembering Sunday.”

Alex reached over and squeezed my hand before playing the familiar tune.

’Alex:
He woke up from dreaming and put on his shoes
Started making his way past 2 in the morning
He hasn't been sober for days

Leaning now into the breeze
Remembering Sunday, he falls to his knees
They had breakfast together
But two eggs don't last
Like the feeling of what he needs

Now this place seems familiar to him
She pulled on his hand with a devilish grin
She led him upstairs, she led him upstairs
Left him dying to get in

Forgive me, I'm trying to find
My calling, I'm calling at night
I don't mean to be a bother,
But have you seen this girl?
She's been running through my dreams
And it's driving me crazy, it seems
I'm going to ask her to marry me

Even though she doesn't believe in love,
He's determined to call her bluff
Who could deny these butterflies?
They're filling his gut

Waking the neighbors, unfamiliar faces
He pleads though he tries
But he's only denied
Now he's dying to get inside

Forgive me, I'm trying to find
My calling, I'm calling at night
I don't mean to be a bother,
But have you seen this girl?
She's been running through my dreams
And it's driving me crazy, it seems
I'm going to ask her to marry me

The neighbors said she moved away
Funny how it rained all day
I didn't think much of it then
But it's starting to all make sense
Oh, I can see now that all of these clouds
Are following me in my desperate endeavor
To find my whoever, wherever she may be

Jasmine:

I'm not coming back
I've done something so terrible
I'm terrified to speak
But you'd expect that from me
I'm mixed up, I'll be blunt, now the rain is just
Washing you out of my hair and out of my mind
Keeping an eye on the world,
From so many thousands of feet off the ground, I'm over you now
I'm at home in the clouds, and towering over your head

Alex:

Well I guess I'll go home now...
I guess I'll go home now...
I guess I'll go home now...
I guess I'll go home


As the Alex faded out, the crowd was standing on their feet and cheering. Many people were yelling for an encore, and others were just going wild. Mr. Smith called me to the side of the stage duing all the ruckus.

“I need you guys to keep playing, I can’t find Kylie anywhere. Just stall, please.” He begged me before running off into the crowd.

I grabbed my microphone and quieted down the crowd before looking at Alex. “So, I guess that wasn’t our last song because the next girl is no where to be found! We get to play for you guys some more while she’s being found.”

Alex leaned over towards me and moved some hair that was covering my ear. “What are we going to play?” He whispered.

“If you lovely people don’t mind, the next two songs will be solos before bringing my lovely boyfriend back in. Don’t worry, he’ll still be playing.” I leaned towards Alex and kissed his cheek before whispering in his ear. “Back to Black and Something Beautiful. Do you know them?” He nodded and we both settled back into our seats.

Both songs went fabulously, and the crowd really loved them. When they were done, it was time to bring Alex back.

“Do you wanna sing a little while I go get us some water?” I whispered to him, already standing. He nodded, looking unsure.

“Alright guys. Alex is gonna sing a few songs while I go do something. It’s okay to throw things at him if he’s awful, he gets it a lot.” I smiled at Alex before leaning down and pecking his lips. Many people in the audience aww-ed and clapped. “Good luck, baby” I whispered to him before walking off stage.

I made my way down the stairs and towards the back of the room. Alex started playing Six Feet Under the Stars, but that didn’t matter at the moment. I pulled my cell phone out of my bag and dialed the number I know too well.

”Hello? Why are you calling me, Jasmine.”

”Cameron, hi. Is Kylie okay? Because she has been waiting for this showcase for years and she didn’t show up.”

Cameron sighed a little before continuing. ”I honestly don’t know. We got in a fight and I stormed out of your house.”

”What were you guys fighting about? Not to pry, or anything.” I was genuinely curious to find out what the happy couple fought about. After school, they were all over eachother like usual.

”I didn’t really agree with what we did to you guys today. She texted me last night and told me that you and Spencer are officially no longer our friends and that I had to be awful to you guys today if I wanted to stay her boyfriend. She wouldn’t really tell me why, but I didn’t question enough. I went into school thinking you guys did something terrible to her, so I hated on you two. We got back to the house, though, and I made her explain what was up. I thought the reason she hated you guys was ridiculous and we fought over it. That was like three hours ago, though.”

”I’m so sorry, Cameron. You really need to check on her, though. We both know how dramatic Kylie can be. I got to go, though. Alex and I are covering her set because she isn’t here. Go to her, please.”
With that, I hung up and put my phone away. If Kylie hurt herself in any way, it’s her own fault. I still care about her, though, so I would be there. After getting two water bottles from the table, I made my way back into the gym.

“This next song is one I wrote recently for Jasmine. By recently, I mean last night. I know she likes it and she just walked back into the room, so here it goes. This is A Daydream Away.”

Alex began playing the song that I heard not even 24 hours ago. It get’s cuter and cuter each time. In the audience, people were holding the hands of their partners and kissing them lightly. It was a cute scene, honestly.

When the song was over, Alex motioned my back on stage. He wrapped me in a hug and kissed me softly before grabbing a water.

I grabbed a mic and faced the crowd. “He’s precious. How about more music, though?”

~

By 10:30, the gym was completely cleared except for Alex, Becca, and me. Alex and I were sitting while Becca was lying down in silence.

Alex hopped off the side and walked in front of me. “Do you guys wanna go back to my place? I can invite Jack, Becca.” He said, resting himself between my legs with his back to my chest. I gently stroked his hair with one hand, and played with his hand with the other.

Becca sat up and looked at us before nodding her head yes and moving to get off the stage. The poor girl looked like she was about to fall over from exhaustion.

Alex looked between Becca and me, before standing up fully and picking up the sleeping girl. We made our way out to the cars, but not without struggle from Becca.

“Do you just wanna drive her car and follow me back to my place?” He said, handing me her keys. Alex placed Becca in the passengers seat and made sure she was secure before coming back to where I was standing. He grabbed my hand and led me to the only other car in the abandoned parking lot, which of course was Becca’s. Alex gently pushed me against the car and laid his body upon mine.

“Just follow right behind me, baby, and be careful.” He said, holding onto my hips and leaning his forehead against mine. I smiled up at his beautiful face and kissed him. Alex pulled me even closer and slowly began to kiss back. A smile crept onto my face, and I could feel Alex mirroring my image. He let his tongue slide over my bottom lip before softly biting it. I giggled a little and parted my lips, only to have Alex’s tongue slide in. After a few minutes of making out, Alex began placing kisses all over my cheeks, chin, and neck. Every once in a while, he would lightly nip at my skin, making me moan in pleasure. Alex pulled away satisfied and kissed my forehead before opening my door and helping me into Becca’s tiny car. I made sure he was in his car before starting Becca’s car up, and following him to his house.