‹ Prequel: York and Mori

Zee and Todd

Chapter 16 - Todd

As Todd stepped through the portal, he felt the winds pick up just like they had before when he had first been sucked into the past. He had a sense of falling as the portal pulled him in and wind howled around him. Then as quickly as it started, everything stopped. He was surrounded by darkness and he moved his head to look around to see nothing but darkness.

He began to get worried as he tried to figure out what to do, and then realized what was going on. He could feel himself laying on something cool and hard and there were distant noises all around him. Then he realized it was time to open his eyes and figure out if the portal worked. At first, the light was too bright and he quickly closed his eyes and took a breath before opening them again. 

Sitting up, he looked around to see that he was on the floor of his living room. His father was helping his mother up and Ben was still lying on the floor in a daze. He felt sorry for his little brother since he was the only one in the family that hadn't done anything like this in his life.

Then he realized something that was different. When he looked at his hands he realized they were wooden. He gasped as he touched his face and chest to find that it was also wooden. Looking to his parents, he saw his fathers dog ears out and his brother was looking a little freaked out at his newly darkend skin.

"Oh please don't tell me Carter changed us all back to fairy tale characters again," York moaned as he reached a hand down to help Todd to his feet.

"Looks like it, what is his obsession with fairy tales anyway? It's getting old." Todd replied as York gave him a funny look. "What?"

"Who are you supposed to be anyway? When we were back in school I could never tell since you were always wearing that stupid cape." 

"Pinocchio," He mumbled as he dusted himself off and looked to his brother. "Whoa, hey there Ben, did you spend too much time at the tanners again?"

"Shut up, what the heck is going on and why are you all so calm about this?" Ben asked with his voice going a half a octive higher with each word he said.

"Ok calm down son, its going to be ok." York replied as he rest a hand on Ben's shoulder. "This is what happend 25 years ago when we were kids. Carter turned everyone into fairy tale characters."

"Then if Todd is Pinocchio the who are you?"

"I'm supposed to be Toto from Wizard of Oz, you're aunt Mori is Dorothy, and you're mother is the wolf from red riding hood since her sister is Red" York gave a pause as the phone started to ring. "Thank God he hasn't gotten rid of technology this time."

As York went to answer the phone, Todd heard his own phone ring and he pulled it out of his pocket. He saw his cousins caller id photo pop up on the screen and sighed as he flipped the phone open and pressed answer. When the screen flashed on, he saw Zee with her familiar long hair and an annoyed expression on her face.

"So it's true then, everyone is back to being a fairy tale character."

"Apparently, nice hair." He replied as she rolled her eyes.

"Nice face," She muttered before looking behind her. "I take it my mom called your dad then?"

"Looks like it, I don't even want to know how Rosie and everyone is taking this. My brother turned into Aladdin."

"No way! Let me see!" Todd looked behind him to find where his brother was and focused the phone so she could see.

"Oh that is just wrong," 

"What about Jack? What did he turn out to be?" He saw her shrug before answering.

"I don't know, he's still M-I-A." She replied as her eyes flicked to a different part of the screen. "Have to go, Becca's on the other line."

"Yeah I should call Rosie to see how she's handling this. Bye," He replied as they hung up. 

His father was busy talking to his sister and his mom was trying to explain things to Ben, so he took the opportunity to escape to his room. As he shut his door, he dialed Rosie's number and flopped down on his bed as he waited for her to pick up. When the call cut to voicemail, he left a quick message and hung up before redialing and praying she would pick up that time.

"Hello?" She asked as the screen turned on. He couldn't see her face since the phone was pointed in the opposite direction.

"Hey sweetie it's me, are you ok? Where are you?" Todd asked as he began to wonder what she was and why she was hiding.

"I'm hiding, I look horrible." She replied as the phone moved a little and he caught a glimpse of blonde hair.

"I highly doubt that, have you seen me?" He asked as he hoped his trick worked just as the phone moved and her face appeared on the screen.

"What in the world? Are you supposed to be Pinocchio?" He sighed and nodded. 

"You don't look that bad," He said as he saw a pair of white bunny ears on top of her blonde head. She rolled her eyes and flicked the ears. "Its better to be the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland than this! If I make someone mad all they would have to do is take a axe to me and I'd be fire wood!" Just as he hoped, she laughed at his joke as she was about to reply.

"That is true, was this what happened when you went back to the past? Do you know who did this?" 

He nodded as he began to explain what was going on and why this was happening again. She seemed to take it bettet than he expected, or she was just hiding it well. He came to realize after dating her for over a year, she had a excellent poker face and after the first time, he vowed never to play poker with her again. She was that good.

After he explained everything, she began to ask questions about what was going on. They ended up talking until well past midnight and finally said goodbye. 

After he hung up, Todd got up to get ready for bed. Once he was settled under the covers, he started to get a feeling of unease as he began to drift asleep. 

He had a feeling as if it was going to be another long battle to defeat Carter once and for all, and he knew it was up to him and Zee that time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long I'm actually camping and had to go into town to get wifi on my iPod in order to post this! What can I say, I'm dedicated. Lol

So enjoy! =}