Dark Come Soon

An Excuse

Ramona chewed on the Mexican candy she brought with her. She was in her room doing her homework. She would have to go back to the Slytherin dungeon after she finished. Her grandfather never let her have special treatment. Students thought she had special treatment, but in fact, all of her professors, in the beginning that is, expected great things from her. From the first year her professors learned that she was like every other student. She excelled in some subjects, and she struggled in some. She was no Hermione Granger, but she also wasn’t an idiot. She did live in a school her entire life.

She finished the last of her essay for Potions class. She liked to live on the edge, so she left it for the last minute. She wrote better under pressure anyway. If she finished early, she would overthink things. That was a nasty habit of hers. She overthought almost everything. People thought she was spontaneous all of the time, but she knew what she was doing most of the time. She made sure her spelling was correct, and then she was happy with what she had. Three parchments about the usage of a certain stone, and she might have half assed the last page, but at least she got it done.

She grabbed her things. She was sad she didn’t get to play her guitar for the day. She usually made time for it, but she had to keep up with the homework. Sixth year was no fun. It was still better than last year, she thought to herself. She grabbed her left hand and scratched the top of it. She still had some marks from when she had detention with Umbridge.

“I will not speak out of term” it used to say. Her grandfather did a couple of spells to heal the wounds in the summer. It was almost gone, but she wanted to keep what she had. It was a reminder of what she went through.

Ramona couldn’t think of anyone she hated more than Umbridge. The awful woman had turned her home into hell. She never hated Hogwarts, but last year she thought about running away to the States so many times. She didn’t leave because she was stubborn. No half-wit was going to kick her out of her own home, and she would not go down without a fight. The twins made sure Umbridge got what she deserved.

“Pureblood,” she said to the portrait with no enthusiasm. She was glad she had not run into Draco the last couple of days since she returned. The last thing she wanted was to tell Alexandra to slap her because she was weak again. She entered, and she froze when she saw Draco sitting on the couch in front of the fire. His back was to her, so she could probably sneak past him.

She tried to be as quiet as possible.

“Not even a hello?” Draco spoke, and it stopped her. He turned around and smiled at her. “How was Los Angeles?”

“What do you care, you twat?” she mumbled, and she started to head upstairs.

“Why do you hate me so much?” he asked, and she knew she should continue, but she didn’t.

“Do you really have to ask after last year? After what your dad tried to do at the Ministry?” she glared.

His expression darkened. “You don’t know anything,” he rubbed his left arm. Her eyes caught it. He was wearing long sleeves. She noticed he didn’t roll up his sleeves anymore like he used to.

“I do know your dad tried to kill me,” she shot back. “And last year, you were with Umbridge. She turned this school into a prison and you stood by her.”

He sat down on the arm of the chair and shoved his hands in his pockets. “I’ve made some mistakes, Mona. Over the summer I’ve thought a lot about… who my associations are.”

“You mean your mates.”

He chuckled dryly. “I wouldn’t exactly call them mates.” He stared at his shows.

Ramona could see that he needed someone to talk to. Her brain was telling her to get the hell away, but she just couldn’t do it. She had bad history with Draco, but she couldn’t turn her back. It wasn’t in her blood to do so. She walked over to him and leaned on the table that was beside the couch, so she was across from him.

“I’m sorry about… what your family is going through,” she said softly. “It must be hard to have everyone judge you. I know how it feels.”

He laughed and shook his head. “I don’t think so. You’re Ramona Dumbledore. People talk shit behind my back. I heard what they’re saying.”

“It really doesn’t help your dad is a deatheater, Malfoy,” she said.

He glared at her. “And it automatically makes me a death eater too?” he snapped. "There's no excuse to judge me."

The tension between them was getting bigger and bigger. All she wanted to do was yell that she knew he was a death eater. There was no reason why he would wear long sleeves. She didn’t want to confront him yet though. She didn’t want to think of what he would do to her. She had her want, and she couldn’t see his, but she shouldn’t risk it.

“I saw your dad, Draco. He pointed his want at me, and at my mates. He would have killed any of us to get what he wanted. Of course people are going to assume the worst of you. You just have to prove them wrong,” she said softly. “You could turn around and make a change. Look at me, just because I’m a Slytherin doesn’t mean anything. My parents weren’t death eaters, so I’m not scared that just because I’m in Slytherin I’ll become one.”

There was something in Draco’s eyes that she caught. It was fear, and something else. It was like he knew something she didn’t.

“What do you know about your parents?” he asked and he stepped in front of her. His eyes were solely on her. It made her a bit uncomfortable, but at the same time she didn’t mind.

“What do you mean?” she chuckled. “My mom was my granddad’s granddaughter.”

“And your dad?”

“He was a Spaniard. My parents met when they were in the Order of Phoenix. Should I just write my autobiography and give to ya?” she asked.

He laughed lightly and saw some of the fear fade away. Then, he saw sadness in them.

“You have pictures of them?”

“Yeah,” she dug in her pocket, and she showed him a picture she carried with her all of the time. She handed it over to him. Her mother was smiling and waving. Her father held her mother and he smiled too. She could see the resemblance between herself and her parents. She had her father’s side dark hair and eyes, but she had the fair skin from her mother.

“They’re your parents?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.

She snatched the picture back. “If you’re gonna say it like that, then piss off.”

He laughed. “I didn’t say anything bad. You definitely look like your mom though.”

“Do I?”

“You do,” he grinned. “If you’re gonna look like that when you reach her age, you’re gonna be gorgeous.”

“I’m pretty sure I’m gorgeous now,” she joked and laughed.

“You are,” he said, and she rolled her eyes.

“I’m sure.”

“Why don’t you believe me?” he lifted her chin with his fingers.

What the hell was wrong with her? Just a few minutes ago she was sure she wasn’t going to kiss him. She really wasn’t going to do it, but now after their little conversation and seeing a new side of him. She was leaning in towards him. When his lips were a breath away from hers, she snapped back. She turned her head on time for him to just kiss the corner of her mouth.

“What’s wrong with kissing me, Mona?” he twirled the loose strands of her hair with his fingers.

“It’s wrong. You’re supposed to be my enemy?”

“Says who?”

“Says your past actions,” she muttered. “This is a bad idea.”

“Why though? I like you.”

She turned her head back to see into his eyes. “You taking a piss?”

“I’m not,” he chuckled. “I like you, Mona.”

“Too bad because you’re my friend’s enemy and mine as well. Good night, Draco.”

She got away from him fast.

Draco watched as she left. His heart was still racing from how close he was to kiss her again. His orders were simple. He had to keep her close. He had to keep her in the dark, and when the time came, he was going to tell her the truth. He didn’t want to anymore though. He saw the light in her eyes when she spoke of her parents. The picture she kept was worn out which meant she often held it in her hands.

He was going to be the one who was going to crush her. She would truly hate him then. He had to remind himself that he’s only supposed to stay close to her. He wasn’t supposed to have real feelings for her, but the entire weekend she was gone, he couldn’t stop thinking about her. His mind should be set on the task at hand.

He laughed at himself bitterly. When Ramona finds out he’s been sent to kill her grandfather, she would more than hate him. She would be disgusted by him, and he wouldn’t blame her. He had to do it. His life and his mother’s life were at stake. He was getting more edgy with the days that passed. He needed to step up his game, and get it done.

He had to forget about the feelings Ramona was making him feel. Draco thought flirting and kissing her wasn’t going to affect him, but he was so wrong. All night was kept up with the memory of having her in his bed underneath him. The sounds of her pleasure and the feel of her warm skin were addictive. She was soft and everything a woman should be. He forgot about his problems when he was with her. He loved that he saw a new side of her. He always thought she was a snob, but she wasn’t.

She was someone who thought about others.

He almost didn’t want her to find out who her real parents were. But one day she would have to find out.

Ramona had to play her guitar now. She waited until everyone was asleep, and she sneaked out. The portraits already knew she was gone, and no one would tell on her. As long as she didn’t run into Peeves. She might have lived in Hogwarts her whole life, but she still didn’t have control over him like Bloody Baron. Peeves loved to tell on her to Flich.

When she was in her room, she was able to breathe better. She got her guitar, and she smiled widely. She strummed the strings with just her fingers for a while. Then, she picked up a pick, and she started to play something out of her zone.

“You’re mine and we belong together. Yes we belong together,” she sang. “For eternity. You’re mine. Your lips belong to me. Yes they belong to only me. For eternity,” she remembered her grandfather telling her that her father would sing the song often to her mother.

She wished she had more than pictures to remember them by. The reason her and Harry clicked was because they both knew the pain of what it felt like not to grow up with parents. She was lucky and had her grandfather. Harry wasn’t so lucky and he was stuck with his Aunt and Uncle.

After a few more romantic songs, she decided to call it a night. It was almost one in the morning. She walked carefully. She made sure Flich wasn’t anywhere to be seen. She heard footsteps coming her way. She hid behind a statue.

It was her grandfather and Snape.

“Sir, do you think it’s time to tell Ramona about her family?” Snape asked. “I fear if she finds out through other sources she might resent you.”

“There’s no need to tell Ramona anything. No one knows about her except for a few people. They are people I trust,” Dumbledore said.

“She will find out someday.”

“I would rather be the one to tell her, and I will. Before… my time is up, I will tell her,” he said.

Ramona flinched. Before his time was up? She knew immediately it had to do with his dead hand.