Dark Come Soon

A Scolding

I never used to mind when my grandfather went away for business, but there was something about this time that felt wrong, or more dangerous. I couldn’t shake off a feeling something was off. First, he didn’t tell me where he was going and he would always tell me where he was going. Second, he went away a lot longer than usual. It angered me, but there was nothing I could do about it.

He told me that I should make sure that Alex and Andres were comfortable. I had to stay at Hogwarts because it was the safest place. I didn’t mind. I grew up in Hogwarts, even before I was 11. When your grandfather was the headmaster, you had to spend most of the time in the school. I could go around the castle with my eyes closed and not get lost, though I would find new corridors sometimes.

Hogwarts was my home. I could remember being very little and running through the corridors with my pig tails and my doll. I walked out of my room and headed towards the Hospital Wing. I ran into Minerva or Professor McGonagall. I couldn’t really call her Professor because I’ve known her my whole life. I liked to her call Aunt Minnie and she allowed me as long no students were around.

She took one look at my lip ring and went off into a lecture. She took ten minutes and then she let me go. I loved her. She didn’t agree with what I had planned for my life. She thought it was foolish that I wanted to join the muggle world. She was just worried though. She said I had the potential to become something so much more.

I never cared or craved for power though. It was why I always wondered why the sorting hat placed me in Slytherin. I was nothing like them. Nothing at all. It pissed me off all of the fucking time.

I controlled myself because otherwise random things would explode in my presence. I made my way to the Hospital Wing and I saw Andres talking to Madam Pomfrey or just Poppy for me since I also knew her since I was very little. She take care of the wounds I had as a kid since I practically lived in Hogwarts.

“Mona,” she greeted me with a smile which turned into a frown when she saw the lip piercing. “What is that?”

“Um, a lip ring, and I already got a scolding from Aunt Minnie, so I don’t need anymore.”

She shook her head. “You get even more wild every year. How does Dumbledore put up with you?”

“Because he loves me,” I flashed her a wide grin. I turned to Andres. “Hola.”

He smiled kindly. “Hola, Mona.”

“Hey, that rhymed!” I giggled and he laughed. “So how is the place that my grandfather set up?”

“It’s perfect. Alex and I love it.”

“Is she there? I’d like to go see her,” I told him.

He licked his lips and for a second I thought he was going to tell me no, but he just nodded.

“Of course. Alex could use the company,” he said.

“I’ll see you at dinner! Sybill has invited me, is that all right with you?”

“Yes, it is,” he said.

“Adios,” I waved at them and made my way to the living area where Poppy lived and now Alex and Andres were going to live at.

I knocked before I entered and I heard Alex’s voice say “come in”.

I opened the door and I found her by the window that looked down at the Dark Forest and it also gave a view of the Black Lake. She had a sketch book with her and pencils. I walked up to her and smiled. She smiled too and closed the book.

“Hello,” she said first.

“Hello, your sketch?” I asked her as I sat down next to her.

She nodded. “It’s kept me sane.”

“May I see it?” I asked with a friendly tone. She seemed hesitant, but she handed me the sketch book. I went through the first few pages and I was already envious of her. “Your work is so much better than my stick figures.”

Alex chuckled.

“Really,” I said with a small laugh. “I’m a horrible artist, but if you get me a piano or a guitar then I’m more of an expert in that area.”

She laughed and then looked away ashamed, like she didn’t think it was appropriate to laugh.

“Have you gone out?” I asked.

She shook her head. “My dad and I have been unpacking for the most part.”

“Hmm, then we should definitely go out,” I told her like she had no other choice. “Do you play Quidditch?”

“Yes, but I prefer futbol.”

My eyes went wide. “Me too! I mean, I wish I could learn how to play.”

“It’s basically just Quidditch but on the ground,” she laughed.

“I never thought about it that way, but you’re right,” I laughed. “I learned something new, how awesome. Wait, don’t the States call it something else?”

“Soccer, but I say futbol because I grew up talking Spanish.”

“Spanish is an amazing language. I want to learn that too,” I said. “French is overrated.”

Alex laughed again and I could see a bit of darkness lift from her eyes.

“Come on, we’ll just go visit some of my friends here. You’re going to love Hagrid and Dobby,” I told her as I grabbed her hand and dragged her out.

We passed her father and Poppy on our way out and though her father was surprised he seemed happy to have her daughter out.

The sun was out and it was a beautiful day. The birds chirped and the breeze was cool. I closed my eyes and inhaled the wonderful day.

“Today is a great day,” I said. “Let’s go.”

I took her down to the cabin near the Dark Forest. We were welcomed by Fang. He was the most lovable dog ever. Alex seemed to lighten up a bit when Fang licked her hand and liked her.

“Hagrid!” I knocked on his door. I knew he was home because there was smoke coming out of the chimney.

The door opened and I smiled at the half giant. He quickly smiled when he saw me and then had a curious look when he saw Alex.

“Come on in,” he said and let us inside his home. Like always, he was making tea.

Alex looked around curiously.

“He’s half giant,” I whispered to her. She nodded and looked delighted. “Hagrid, this is Alex she’s staying with her father Andres who is working at the Hospital Wing with Poppy.”

“Oh, ye’ that family Poppy told me ‘bout the other day,” he grinned. “Nice to meet ya,” he held out his large hand to her and shook it. “I assume ye going to Hogwarts.”

“I am,” she said softly.

“Well take a seat,” he said and I sat down on my usual armchair. “How you been, Mona? Bloody hell what is that on ye lip?!”

I rolled my eyes. “It’s a lip ring.”

“Why in the world would you get that?” he asked.

“It’s very common in the muggle world,” I narrowed my eyes. “Alex likes it.”

“I do,” she said. “Though I never get one myself.”

“What did ye grandfather say?” Hagrid asked.

“He was upset, but he didn’t blow up.”

“Sometimes I worried ‘bout yeh, Mona,” he muttered as he poured us some tea.

“You have nothing to worry about,” I grinned.

“You plan to leave our world and join the muggles. I should worry.”

“It’s not like I plan to become a porn star, Hagrid.”

“The mouth of yours,” he shook his head.

“I plan to start a band,” I told to Alex.

“You sing?” she questioned.

I nodded. “I love music. It’s my passion. Bands like the Beatles and Led Zeppelin are my influence. Not to mention Janis Joplin.”

Alex’s mouth dropped. “You like her?”

“I worship her,” I said. “You like her too?”

“I worship her too. Her voice, her talent!”

And with that we went on for the next twenty minutes discussing her. Hagrid had no clue and just listened.

Alex and I left Hagrid when we finished our teas. I hugged him tightly and told him I’d see him in Care of Magical Creatures. I was still going to continue because it was a fascinating subject. He was happy that I was still going to be in his class.

I showed Alex the Quidditch arena.

“Do you play?” she asked me.

“I do, but it’s more like a hobby and I don’t follow the game much. I did enjoy going to the games though.”

“I wish I could have been here for the Triwizard Tournament,” she commented on our way back to the castle.

“It was nice, while it lasted,” I said. “We had our first school dance which was nice. Also, I got to hook up with some guys from Durmstrung.”

Alex laughed and I was happy that for a moment she didn’t look like she was going to bolt. I was getting through to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just so you guys know I’m horrible at writing Hagrid’s ‘accent’ and also how the English talk too. I’ll take Emi’s advice and just toss a ‘wanker’ or ‘blimey’ now and then.

Thanks for the comments:

Fleebii
UltraViolett
fabulous_39
avenging angel
limegreenworld
bapple
BehindTheMusic
hachie
ForeverPlagued
ameliabelle