Dark Come Soon

A Meeting

Ramona skipped happily to go see her grandfather. Aunt Minnie told her that he was back. She couldn’t wait to see him. She wanted to tell him all the progress she had made with Alex. She said the password to the Gargoyle without any hesitation because she had said it so many times over her life. The stairs appeared and she went up as fast as she could. She never knocked, so she opened the door and saw as Professor Snape stopped talking and her grandfather looked at her with a small smile.

Professor Snape turned back to her grandfather. “Have a good evening sir,” he said with a small bow of the head. He turned towards Ramona. “Hello.”

“Hello,” she replied shortly and narrowed her eyes. She didn’t trust him, but her grandfather had so much faith in him that it made her wonder why. She walked deeper into the office as Professor Snape left the office. Ramona’s eyes went to her grandfather and her eyes glanced at his injured hand. When she saw it a few weeks ago, she demanded to know what happened to him, but he said nothing.

They had a heated argument about it. She wished he could confide in her like he used to. She went to her grandfather and hugged him. He had been gone since Alex and Andres arrived. She was glad to have had the company of Alex, otherwise she would have gone crazy.

Her grandfather told her she could go with the Weasley’s, but she knew that with Harry and Hermione there that it would be too crowded. She rather roam freely in the hallways of her true home, Hogwarts.

“I’m so happy you’re back,” she said relieved to see him alive.

“I was only gone a couple of days,” he chuckled.

“It was more than a couple of days,” she pulled away from him. “And you didn’t even send an owl! You know you’re the only family I’ve got left. You can’t just… leave me hanging!”

He laughed lightly. “I see spending time with Alex has gotten to you. How is she, by the way?”

Ramona narrowed her brown eyes. “Don’t try to change the subject, granddad.”

“Ramona,” uh oh when he said her full name he was serious, “I am doing what I need to do. Please understand that.” His gray eyes told her there was no more discussing it. “Now, Minerva told me you plan to go to Diagon Alley with Alex and her parents?”

“Yes, she needs art supplies and we need to get our books. Aunt Minnie gave me the list this morning. I also want to see the Weasley’s shop. I haven’t had the time to go since you weren’t here to ask permission,” she narrowed her eyes again.

Her grandfather shook his head. “You’re as stubborn as your mother was. When do you plan to go?”

“Tomorrow.”

“I’ll arrange protection,” he said.

Her eyes once again flickered to his hand. He quickly hid it under his robe when he noticed it.

“Are you ever going to tell me what happened to you?” she didn’t demand. She was pleading. “Or what you’re doing?”

His eyes softened. “I’m doing all I can to keep you safe, I assure you that.”

“You know I’ll be lost without you, right?” she was totally a daddy’s girl, or grandpa’s girl. She hugged him yet again. “Please be very careful. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

His arms embraced her. “You’re strong. You’d do just fine without me.”

A few hours later, Ramona was in her room. She had her electric guitar and decided to play and sing something by one of her idols, Jimi Hendrix.

“Well she’s walking through the clouds,” she sang, her voice was rich and delicate. She always was amazed by how much control she had. She screamed a lot so to still have a soft tone amazed her. “with a circus mind that's running wild, Butterflies and Zebras. And Moonbeams and fairy tales. That's all she ever thinks about riding with the wind.

“When I'm sad, she comes to me, with a thousand smiles she gives to me free. It's alright, she says it's alright. Take anything you want from me, anything. Fly on little wing.”

She was proud of her skills to have reached almost of her idol.

“Wow,” a voice said behind her.

Ramona turned around and saw Alex standing in her doorway with a smile.

“You really can sing,” Alex smiled.

“You thought I was joking when I said I could?” Ramona chuckled.

“Maybe a little,” she laughed.

Ramona couldn’t be prouder of Alex. They had bonded so much in such a short amount of time.

“So what time are we leaving tomorrow?” Alex asked walking further into the room.

“Around the afternoon. We’ll just meet at the Grand Hall and we’ll be escorted to Diagon Alley.”

“All right then. Um, would you join me and Sybill for some tea?”

Ramona smiled widely. “I’d love to.”

She put her guitar away and the girls walked towards the tower where Sybill’s office was.

“Did you know your mom?” Alex asked as they walked.

Ramona shook her head. “Not personally. She was murdered when I was a year old. All I have are pictures and stories my granddad told me about her. You’re very lucky to have you mum around. You have no idea how many times I’ve needed an embrace or a single word of comfort.”

“I’ve always had my Nana. She’s been there for me. I don’t know what to make of Sybill,” Alex said softly.

Ramona liked that Alex was really opening up. It was strengthening their friendship.

“Maybe you can start by getting to know her a little better. I can always have tea another day. You should really spend time with your mum because it’s dark times, Alex. You may not be directly involved, but trust me, you’re a witch so you’re involved already,” Ramona spoke wisely.

“You almost sounded like your grandfather,” Alex snickered.

“It must be getting to me,” Ramona laughed. “Seriously, Alex. Sybill is… special. She’s a good person at heart, I know it. And, a warning, students here will say some things--mostly from my house--but they’re a bunch of wankers.”

Alex laughed. “God, wankers, what a funny word. I love it. Okay, I’ll try to get to know her better, but for now can you still come with me?”

“Of course,” Ramona said.

*/*

Ramona was humming a song as she looked for her other pair of boot in her mess of a room. She found it under her bed and she quickly pulled it on. She got her bag and placed it on her shoulder. She was already late. She had overslept. She didn’t even eat breakfast.

She raced through the corridors and took shortcuts that she knew by heart. She got to the Great Hall from the dungeon in less than five minutes. That was a record time. She saw Alex and her parents already gathered around in the Great Hall. Her grandfather was speaking to them.

“I’m here, sorry I’m late, but I, uh, overslept,” she said sheepishly.

Her grandfather gave her the money she needed and more. He kissed her forehead.

“Be safe,” he told her.

“I will,” she promised.

They were taken to Diagon Alley. Ramona’s mouth quickly hit the floor. It was dead. The place that used to be so alive now seemed like it had been deserted for centuries. Posters covered the glass of shops. Ramona turned to Alex who looked around shocked.

“Maybe we should return another day,” Andres said nervously and got closer to his daughter.

“We’re protected and no one us going to attack us in the middle of Diagon Alley, sir,” Ramona said and then looked at the two Aurors her grandfather sent. They were both middle aged men and looked like they could handle a few Death Eaters. She could too.

“What does Alexandra need?” Andres asked Sybill.

“Her robes for Hogwarts. Does she already have a cauldron?” Sybill asked.

“Of course,” Alex answered.

“Then just your robes.”

“I’ll take her Madam Malkin’s,” Ramona said cheerfully. “She’s the best.”

“Give me your list of books and I’ll get yours too,” Andres said.

“You don’t have to,” she said. “I can probably get it when we get back together.”

“It wouldn’t make sense to make two trips,” he said.

Ramona gave Andres money for her books and Andres gave Alex money for her robes. One Auror followed Ramona and Alex and the other went with Andres and Sybill.

Ramona frowned at how her world turned upside down. She loved to come to Diagon Alley almost as much as she liked Hogsmeade.

“I promise this place used to be more alive,” Ramona told Alex on their way to Madam Milkin’s.

“I guess it has to do with you-know-who,” Alex said.

“Voldemort. His name is Voldemort, or better yet Tom Riddle.”

“You know his real name?” Alex asked shocked.

“I do. It’s just a name and we shouldn’t fear it. Hey, it’s Hagrid!” Ramona ran up to the half giant and hugged him as best she could.

“Mona, Alex good ‘o see you again,” he said happily.

“We came to get Alex’s robes for Hogwarts!” Ramona exclaimed. “And then we’re going to see Fred and George’s shop! Wait a minute, what are you doing here?”

“I’m here as protection for Harry, Ron and Hermione,” he said proudly. “Dumbledore wanted someone he truly trusted.” His eyes went to the auror that was with the girls. Hagrid knew him and approved of him. “You guys are in good hands too.”

“Oh this is perfect!” Ramona laughed and turned to Alex. “You get to meet my mates.”

Alex’s face went pale.

“They’re great people. You get to meet the Harry Potter. Ron and Hermione are a bonus,” Ramona giggled. “Trust me, Alex, you’ll love them and they’ll love you.”

The door of the shop opened and two familiar people walked out of it. Draco Malfoy and his mother Narcissa. Ramona’s body tensed. Lucius Malfoy had tried to hurt Ramona just over two months ago at the Ministry. He was sent to Azkaban though.

She never got along with Draco. He made sure she was an outcast the second she was sorted into Slytherin. He took every chance he had to make some sort of comment about her love for muggles and how she was a disgrace to purebloods.

The whole house of Slytherin followed suit and isolated her. She didn’t care though. She had made mates before she was sorted into Slytherin and the other houses never held it against her that she was in Slytherin.

Draco looked different though when he saw her. He looked shocked at first, and then she saw something in his eyes like fear or worry. It was quickly replaced by his smugness.

She thought he was going to say something about the way she was dressed, in muggle clothes, but he kept his mouth shut and walked past them quickly followed by his mother.

“Who was he?” Alex asked as they turned to watch them leave.

“No one of importance. Let’s go meet the guys.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Mona’s Outfit

Thanks for the comments:

avenging angel
Fleebii
UltraViolett
hachie
noratheneurotic
bapple
fabulous_39