Began as Friends

Chapter 1

Mike Green had just finished his 45 minute workout at the Sports Club he belonged around five minutes from his home. It was October and his first game was right around the corner and he was determined to be in the best shape possible. Yes, he had free facilities he could use at Kettler, but he spent so much time there he wanted somewhere to work out. Although people recognized him at the Club people usually let him alone as long as he had an ipod on and was focusing on his lifting.

As he walked through the back door to the parking garage in front of him he saw a heavier looking girl in front of him. She had on baggy shorts and a t-shirt and looked like she just had a great workout. As he was walking, headphone still on, he noticed she was struggling to open something, as he got closer he realized she could't open her Powerade bottle.

"You need some help with that?"

Jamie without looking up laughed at herself and said, "Yeah, if you wouldn't mind."

It wasn't until he handed it back to her opened that she looked up at him. It was Mike Green, of the Washington Capitals she thought to herself. Jamie had been a hockey fan for years, it ran in the family. Her father played collegiate hockey and now her brother was going to Michigan to play hockey, she grew up around it.

Jamie stammered, not knowing what to say but replied, "thanks," and continued down the hall out the door.

Mike got into his car smiling to himself, he was glad he could have helped someone out today, and he knew that she knew who he was. She had a beautiful face, was on the chubbier side, but seemed friendly.

The next day he was at the gym, at the same time, and ran into the same girl.

"Hi again," he said.

"Hey," Jamie said smiling up at him.

"I'm Mike."

"My name's Jamie, nice to meet you," she replied putting her hand out.

Mike grabbed it and they shook hands, from there Mike offered to grab lunch at the SweetGreen across the street. Jamie was headed there anyway and agreed. Over lunch they talked about their hobbies and where they grew up.

"I play hockey," Mike started, "I play for the Caps, do you watch hockey?"

"Yeah, I love hockey, grew up around it," Jamie explained and she told him about her brother and his hopes of making it to the NHL.

"That's awesome," Mike said.

That was the first time the two had lunch together, but it wouldn't be the last. They had so much in common and became fast friends. They began getting lunch together after the gym and Mike invited Jamie to a bunch of his games. She went to his apartment to watch football and movies. They were friends, simply enough. Neither were looking for anything more.

June soon came and unfortunately the Capitals exited the playoffs before anyone was hoping.

Jamie's phone started ringing, "Hello," she said into the phone.

"Hey Jame, I am leaving for Calgary soon, want to grab lunch for the last time?"

"Yeah, meet you there in ten," she hung up, grabbed a pair of jeans and shirt and met him for lunch.

"I'll miss you, you know, you have become a great friend," he said over his salad.

"Hey, me too, but you'll be back big guy, just don't get into too much trouble alright?"

Mike left that night for Calgary and over the three month period he partied, trained, and relaxed. Occasionally he would shoot Jamie a text when he saw a movie come out he was sure she would like. Jamie would reciprocate the texts when she heard a song she new he would like.

They had their own lives, their own friends, and were occupied most of the summer leaving them not much time to miss each other, but what was to miss, they were friends and never thought of anything more.