Status: Active.

Falling in Love With the Potential Prey

Chapter Four.

“I’m going to need that Bieber/Gomez article by Monday, Martin wanted it but you’re the top columnist,” Parker, my boss, said as she walked into my office Friday afternoon, “I’ve got a demand for updates on those two like there’s no tomorrow.” She laughed.

Parker and I had an odd work relationship. We respected each other, however, we’ve had our share of falling outs when it came to the magazine, but that’s only because ‘I let my emotions get the best of me’, those are her words, not mine. If you completely eliminated the magazine from her life she’d be a decent person, but her job is her life and it comes first, always.

I smiled, “It’s cute, in a way,” I said to her as I flipped through some of my manila folders, “It’s a good thing that the younger generation is focused on good kids, rather than those with a criminal record.”

She leaned on my desk with one hand, “Yeah, I guess you’re right,” she responded with a nod, “My daughter loves Justin more than she loves me,” we laughed together, “And this whole thing with the governor,” she changed the subject and sighed, “It’s busting my ass.”

“Yeah, affairs will do that to us,” I shook my head, “I remember when the whole Tiger Woods thing was the hot topic, it was tiring… for everyone,” I added, “It be so much simpler if everyone was faithful,” I thought for a second, “But I guess then I would be out of a job.”

She nodded in agreement, “We all would,” she then walked towards the door, “Hey, so, Martin said you met someone,” my heart dropped, “It’s about damn time.” I became nervous as I wondered if he mentioned who exactly that person was.

I laughed lightly, “Yeah, but I don’t know if it’ll go anywhere,” I told her honestly, “We’ve only talked a few times, he’s a nice guy though,” I went on, “We’ll see how it goes though; I didn’t realize my personal life would come into the office.” I glared at her.

“That’s all he said, don’t worry, I know how you are about your life,” she rolled her eyes, “People find things out though, obviously, rather you want to keep them private or not,” I shrugged, “I don’t know why you’re such good friends with Martin though, I think if he had the chance he’d throw you under the bus in a heartbeat.”

“Well, I’d like to think that that’s not the case, Parker,” I told her honestly. After I finished the last bit of things I had to do, I signed out quickly and headed to my car, before I reached it my phone rang. I looked down at my iPhone and the caller I.D. read ‘Bradley’. A smile immediately came across my face and I answered it, “Hello?”

We’ve been talking over the phone quite a bit for the last week and half, mostly at night when the two of us weren’t working. He would also send me the sweetest text messages throughout the day, it was really adorable.

“Hey you,” he said in a chipper voice, “What are you up to?”

“I actually just got out of work, I’m about to head home,” I told him honestly as I unlocked my black Dodge Charger and got in, “How about yourself?” I set my bag on the passenger seat.

“I actually just got home,” he exclaimed, “I had photo shoot and an interview today, they both ended on time which is unusual,” he explained to me, “How was your day?”

“It was alright, not as exciting as a photo shoot and interview,” I teased as he laughed, I turned on my car and drove off, “I got assigned an article that Martin wanted, so he should be having a fit right about now.”

“That must be hard going against your best friend,” he said sympathetically, “It must be a strain on your friendship.”

“Nah, we both know it’s nothing personal, sometimes it gets hard but most of the time it’s a breeze,” I told him honestly, “He gets great articles too so I think it’s fifty-fifty.”

“Sounds fair,” he laughed, “Anyway, I was wondering what your plans were for dinner tonight?”

I thought for a second, “I actually have no plans,” I said to him as I smiled to myself.

“Great, well, I was thinking, I don’t know if you knew this or not but I love to cook,” he began, “So, maybe I can come over and make you dinner?” He proposed, he sounded somewhat hopeful.

“I didn’t know that,” I told him with a laugh, “But that sounds great,” I tried to hide my extreme excitement, “I hope your cooking is as good as your acting, that was I don’t have to worry about food poisoning.” I teased.

“Very funny,” he said as we both laughed, “Anything you want in particular?”

“Surprise me.”

After text messaging him my address, I returned home. I picked up my apartment; it wasn’t a mess, thank goodness, so it didn’t take long to clean up. I jumped in the shower and once I got out I put on some comfortable clothes. We weren’t going anywhere so I wasn’t going to dress up; I threw on a pair of my blue jean shorts and hot pink t-shirt.

“JEWEL, WHERE ARE YOU?” I heard Martin’s voice ring through my apartment as I sighed, I sometimes regret letting him have a spare key. I walked out of my bedroom and into the living room, “Thanks for stealing my story, bitch.” He laughed.

I rolled my eyes, “Oh, whatever,” I said as ran my hair in between the towel, “You have the governor’s story so you didn’t wind up empty handed.”

He shrugged, “Anyway, I came over to tell you we’re having drinks down at the bar, so get dressed,” he said as he snapped his fingers.

“Sorry, no can do,” I said with a grin, “Bradley is coming over to make me dinner.”

“Oh shit, someone’s getting lucky,” I rolled my eyes again, “It’s not like you’re not thinking it.” He accused.

“I’m not, I actually have respect for people and things aren’t all about sex,” I told him honestly, “Anyway, you have to go, he should be here any minute.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” he said as he walked towards the front door and opened it, “Use protection…or not, maybe you can make a baby with him.”

“That was awkward to hear,” Bradley said awkwardly, he stood at the door with his arm up, his other hand was carrying two bags of groceries, it looked like he was just about to knock, he laughed lightly, “hey, man.”

“Hi,” Martin said with a laugh, “Sorry you heard that last bit, I was just kidding,” he then walked out of the apartment, “Bye you two, have fun.” He winked at me and then left.

“Don’t pay attention to him,” I told Bradley as he stood there with a smile on his face, “Come on in.”

He walked in and stopped in front of me, “Okay, I won’t,” he said and then he bent down and planted a kiss on my cheek, “Where do I put these?” He held up the two bags.

I felt my cheeks burn with fire, my mind turned blank for a second and then I snapped back, “Kitchen is this way,” I said to him as I leaded him towards it.

He placed them on my counter, “I hope you’re a fan on Italian,” he said as he looked towards me, I smiled and nodded, “Great, because, tonight, pasta is on the menu.”

“Sounds delicious,” I said as I rummaged through my cabinets for pots and pans, “Y’know, it’s not the common that you meet a man that loves to cook.”

He laughed, “Most men just don’t realize the beauty of it,” he said, “It’s fun, too, do you happen to have an apron?”

I turned to him to see if he was serious, he was, I went into the drawer and pulled out my pink and purple apron, “Sorry, I don’t have one that has unisex colors,” I said as I snickered and then handed him the piece of clothing.

“I’m not picky,” he said as he wrapped it around his midsection, “Does it make me look fat?” He joked.

“Enormous,” I joked and the two of us laughed.