Status: Writing :: Stay Tuned

Impossible

two

One Month Later

“Please, Daddy, please?” Elizabeth begged her father with large faux doe eyes.

“Princess,” he warned, not wanting to give in. She batted her eyelashes, throwing on the charm. She knew as well as anyone that Thomas Harvey could not resist pleasing his only daughter. She had him wrapped around her finger from the moment she was born. He would truly do anything to see her smile. “Okay, okay. You and Baz can come with me,” he caved.

Thomas Harvey was a high profile attorney who had a meeting with one of his more important clients, who lived in the LA area, the week of the teens’ spring break. When Elizabeth and Baz heard their father was leaving for the weeklong business trip, they couldn’t help but wish to go. Their motive: to surprise Jesse.

That Sunday, the night before they were set to leave for California, Jesse called to catch up with his New York friends. “Hello?” Elizabeth answered without looking at the caller ID.

Bee? How are you?” Jesse asked.

She perked up at the sound of his voice, excited not only to talk to her friend, but because she knew she would see him within the next forty-eight hours. “Hey. I’m good. What’re you up to?” she asked, trying to mask her glee.

Just leaving the set for the day. What’s up?” he asked suspiciously.

“What do ya mean?”

You’re trying to hide something. What is it?

“Oh, nothing,” she answered offhandedly, as if that were truly the case.

Bee,” he warned, trying to get her to cave and tell him. Usually it didn’t take much convincing; they didn’t keep many secrets from each other.

“Don’t worry about it,” she dismissed him. “Do you want to talk to Baz?”

No, I—

She interrupted him, “I’ll go get him.”

She passed the phone off to her brother, before skipping back to her room where a half full suitcase lay open on her purple bedspread. She turned her stereo on a loud volume and skipped around the room, tossing articles of clothing and various shoes into the luggage. She was beyond excitement for this trip.

**

“Hey, Jess. What’s up?” Baz greeted as Elizabeth skipped out of his room and into her own.

Nothing. What’s up with Bee?” Jesse asked, hoping her brother might know what she was attempting to keep from him.

“I don’t know. You know how she is,” he answered nonchalantly. “What’s up with you and that girl, huh? Anything new?” Baz asked, changing the subject. Unlike his younger sister, Baz knew how to keep a secret.

Oh, uh, yeah. We went out a couple times. She’s cool, I guess. Dude, you should see the girls out here,” Jesse commented.

“So you’ve told me.” Baz laughed. Even though they hadn’t seen each other in nearly a year, Jesse was still looking out for his best friend—the boy who never had very much luck with the ladies.

**

“Elizabeth. Baz. Let’s go!” Thomas called his children. They had a plane to catch in an hour and a half.

“Coming!” Elizabeth yelled down the hall as she maneuvered her large suitcase around a decorative table.

“Geez, Beth. What do you have in there? You do know we’re only going for a week, right?” Baz teased as he exited his room a foot in front of her, his duffle bag thrown over his shoulder.

“You never know,” Elizabeth shrugged, only half joking.
♠ ♠ ♠
duce