Status: Writing :: Stay Tuned

Impossible

three

“Baz! Wake up!” Elizabeth said excitedly, bouncing on either side of his sleeping form.

The siblings and their father had arrived in Los Angeles the night before, and Elizabeth was up early, as per her usual, for a morning run.

Baz groaned and attempted to curl into a ball, pulling the covers over his head. “Go away,” he mumbled.

“Come for a jog with me?” she asked sweetly.

“No.”

“Why not?”

“’Cause one: its six a.m. and I’m tired. Two: when you say jog you mean a two mile run. So, no, thanks.”

Elizabeth pouted but resigned to leaving her brother alone. Already dressed in a pair of running shorts and an oversized gray tee, she left her father’s beachside apartment. She adjusted the tongues of her running shoes and put an ear bud in each ear before taking off down the sandy coastline.

Living in New York didn’t allow for Elizabeth to run on anything other than concrete or her high school’s Tartan track that surrounded the football field. So, running in the soft sand was both a challenge and a thrill for her.

She let herself get lost in the music spilling into her ears as her feet lifted then pounded the sand beneath her. Her heartbeat steady, as was her pace; both seemed to go along with the tempo of the song.

Focused on the rhythm of her feet in time to the music filling her ears, Elizabeth didn’t notice the small group of boys in board shorts tossing a Frisbee back and forth until one boy, who was attempting to catch the soaring disk, fell into her. Both Elizabeth and the boy fell to the white sand, the Frisbee coming to a stop a few feet away, uncaught.

Elizabeth let out a sound of discomfort at the landing as well as the weight now settled on her torso.

Slow moving, the boy pushed his chest off of the small girl, one hand on either side of her head as endless apologies fell from his lips. “Are you alright?” he asked amidst a string of ‘I’m so sorry’ and ‘I didn’t see you’.

“Uh. Yeah, I guess,” she answered, her breath temporarily lost. “Can you, uh, get up?”

“Right. Sorry.” He hastily pushed himself to a kneeling position, his hand outstretched for Elizabeth to take. She ignored the hand as she pushed herself to her knees and then her feet, dusting sand from her back and rear.

“I’m so sorry. Are you sure you’re okay?” the boy continued his apologies.

“So you’ve said. And yes, I’m fine. You should really watch where you’re going,” she mumbled before turning in the direction of her father’s condo.

“Wait!” the boy called, not wanting to let the pretty girl leave with a bad impression of him. Elizabeth stopped, turning her head, her eyebrow raised. “I didn’t catch your name?”

She let a small smile slip onto her lips. “Elizabeth,” she stated simply.

“Well, Elizabeth. I’m Nate, and I feel like I owe you for knocking you down. How ‘bout I take you out for breakfast?” he asked boldly, confidently.

“How about this?” she quipped. “If we meet again, I’ll let you buy me a meal. Otherwise, let’s just say no harm, no fowl?”

She didn’t wait for an answer. She turned and began a slow jog up the beach, less than a mile away from her father’s place. She could hear Nate calling her back, but she just shook her head and continued.

**

“I’m going to be gone all day. I don’t know when I’ll be home. Will you two be alright by yourselves?” Thomas Harvey asked his children.

“Yeah, Dad. We’ll be fine; we’re not ten anymore,” Baz answered with a roll of his eyes.

Thomas quipped an eyebrow at his son then turned to Elizabeth. “Keep him in line.”

“Will do,” she answered dutifully with a two-finger salute, sending a smirk to her brother before giving her father a kiss on the cheek.

“So what’s the plan for the day?” Baz asked once his father exited the condo.

“You have Gingie’s number?” Baz nodded, shoving a spoonful of Fruity Pebbles in his mouth. “We need to find out where Jesse is.”

Elizabeth ran to the bedroom that she and Baz had shared the night before, pulling his cell phone from its charger and immediately scanning his contacts. She stopped at ‘Mac’s Mama’, shaking her head at her brother’s name for Jesse’s mother, as she hit send.

Ginger McCartney picked up in the fourth ring, “Hello?

“Hey, Ginge. It’s Elizabeth.”

Oh, my. Elizabeth, it’s been forever. How’re you, darling?

“I’m good.”

And that brother of yours? Is he behaving?

“Is he ever?” Elizabeth laughed.

No, I guess not.” Ginger chuckled lightly. “So, to what do I owe this lovely call, huh? I haven’t talked to either of you since Christmas.

“Well, Baz and I are actually in town. We wanted to surprise Jesse, but we don’t know how to find him,” Elizabeth trailed off.

Oh, that sounds like a wonderful idea! I just know he’ll be so excited. I was just running a few errands before heading back to the studio to check on Jesse. How ‘bout I come pick you two up and bring you with me?” Ginger offered.

“That would be perfect!” Elizabeth gave Ginger her father’s address before setting her brother’s phone back on its charger and running to the bathroom, yelling on her way, “Get ready Baz! Gingie will be here soon.”
♠ ♠ ♠
tres ;)