Status: Writing :: Stay Tuned

Impossible

six

It was nearing one in the morning and the party was beginning to disperse. Jesse and Baz had gone up to a group of girls, Jesse playing wingman for the night as they flirted harmlessly.

Elizabeth was dancing in the moonlight, despite the lack of music, with her third bottle of beer hanging from her fingers as Nate watched from his seat on the rock. He pushed his body up from the cool surface before jumping to the sand and sauntering up to the longhaired beauty.

“You mind?” he asked as he, too, began to dance. She shook her head, moving around him in circles.

Her cheeks were pink, either from her constant movement or the alcohol she had consumed—she couldn’t distinguish the difference. Her motions slowed as she draped one arm over Nate’s shoulder, pulling his body close to hers. He smiled down at Elizabeth, her blue eyes staring back at him as a similar smile broke across her lips.

Elizabeth let her now empty beer bottle slip from her fingers, landing with a thud in the sand, as she wound both arms around Nate’s neck. He rested his hands on the small of her back, pulling her ever so gently closer to him, waiting for any sign of protest as they moved to their own rhythm.

They tuned out the sounds of the ongoing party along the beach and listened to a song unheard by anyone else. Elizabeth couldn’t contain the butterflies whirling around in her stomach at her and Nate’s close proximity; she had only danced this closely with one other boy, at Mike Newburgh’s house party almost six months ago.

Her eyes focused on Nate’s lips, which were almost level with her own; as she subconsciously swiped her tongue across her previously glossed lips. Nate caught the motion and looked down, feeling the sudden urge to kiss the now wet lips just below his. All he had to do was lean down infinitesimally and press their lips togeth—

A hand clapped on Nate’s back, causing his head to turn to the side, finding Jesse standing behind him, an unreadable expression adorning his features. He nodded his head in the opposite direction of the party, silently asking Nate to follow him as he walked into the darkness.

Elizabeth was left mystified as she watched the two boys walk away. “So, uh—” Baz started, scratching the back of his neck nervously.

“What?” she asked absentmindedly.

“You and Nate?”

“Oh, don’t look at me like that.” She twirled to face her brother. “What?”

“I thought you liked Jesse?” he asked carefully, quietly.

“I—I do. But—” She couldn’t find the right words to finish her thought.

Baz finished it for her, “But he doesn’t like you, like that.” Elizabeth nodded her agreement as she looked to where Jesse and Nate had disappeared. Baz wrapped an arm around his sister’s shoulders, offering support. Sure, he could have eased her worries and told her the truth—Jesse liked her just as much, if not more than she liked him—but he kept his mouth shut. It wasn’t his place to tell.

She shrugged out of from under his arm and walked back to the rock they had spent the majority of the party at. Reaching down, she picked up a half-empty abandoned bottle and lifted it to her lips, letting the still cool liquid run down her throat.

**

As soon as they were far enough away from the party, to where they could see nothing or no one around them, Jesse stopped to look at Nate who stopped a foot away from his friend.

“What’s up?” Nate asked, though he had an idea about what Jesse had to say.

“I—Don’t mess around with her, okay?” he asked without looking at Nate. His eyes scanned the water as it reflected the light from the moon. “I don’t want to. But if I have to, I will kick your ass if anything happens to her.” He turned to look directly into his friend’s eyes. “I swear to fucking God.”

Nate stayed silent, nodding dramatically as he gulped. Him and Jesse had never fought before, and he had never had reason to be scared of the kid, but the look in Jesse’s eyes just then scared the shit out of Nate. He knew without a doubt he was serious. This was his Bee they were talking about.

But truthfully, Nate was surprised that Jesse hadn’t told him to flat out stay away or more likely already punched him for trying to kiss his best friend, the girl he knew Jesse was in love with—even if he wouldn’t admit the fact. Instead he was given the go ahead with an effective forewarning.

The two walked back to the party side by side, neither saying a word—an unspoken understanding between the two. Sure, Nate knew he should just back off and let Jesse and Elizabeth be, but he couldn’t find the will to.

Elizabeth, her outgoing and brash personality, her flawless natural beauty, and her soulful eyes mesmerized Nate. If he analyzed her enough, he would realize that she was the female version of Jesse. But he didn’t want to think that way. It was like saying he liked Jesse. True, but not.
♠ ♠ ♠
sechs